• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://horticulturalbuildingsystems.com/?page_id=219    

Black brick on Westheimer.

Took This Aerial Shot of the Montrose Collective this morning.

Posted Images

On 1/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, Texasota said:

I think it's the beige. Theres something almost... bandaid-like about it.

If it were a nice, vibrant color I think it would look a lot better. 

@Texasotai will STILL never forgive you for that comment...i CANNOT unsee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl8HjKf6gLLKdwelS-nhubE_nz2G7s7JQkDZQpObs0nIBO7cpOUeuKPOZ4OAKvC4RPkRRUNlGE&usqp=CAc

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I wish we could fill a few blocks downtown with developments like this. Similar design/materials, multiple small buildings 3/5 stories with retail/office/residential. It would really help tie some areas in nicely and create some synergy. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

does the name Green Street ring a bell? It flopped. Not even the new offices will help. (now that I no longer work in that building I can talk all the flurf and truth bomb all I want)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Green Street needed a residential component. This benefits from being surrounded by houses. And hopefully lots of residential at the old Tower Community/Shopping Center site.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Texasota said:

Green Street needed a residential component. This benefits from being surrounded by houses. And hopefully lots of residential at the old Tower Community/Shopping Center site.

Also, having a Houston Public Library integrated into the design practically guarantees that this won't be a ghost development.

• Like 9
15 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

does the name Green Street ring a bell? It flopped. Not even the new offices will help. (now that I no longer work in that building I can talk all the flurf and truth bomb all I want)

That's not even on the same level as Montrose Collective. The design isn't comparable either. 

• Like 1

Grant St is a clusterf..k with traffic. I saw a bobtail truck loaded with pipe on the north side trying to get on it to get unloaded and an 18 wheeler with black brick on the south side trying to get in and unloaded.  2 personal vehicles trying to weave their way around all this. I don't know why they don't just shut it off to any vehicles not related to the project at California St and on Montrose. I guess people got to get their lattes and sushi no matter what. It's like a Frogger game over here.

dz34lIB.jpg

2xSJCBc.jpg

87smqLx.jpg

• Like 9
On 5/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, hindesky said:

I guess people got to get their lattes and sushi no matter what. It's like a Frogger game over here.

Heaven forfend that they leave their ultimate driving machines at home and walk a couple of blocks.
But in the New Montrose, it seems that actual pedestrians in a walkable neighborhood are viewed with contempt and suspicion. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Response said:

Can you believe that we actually once lived like THIS!! 🤮 WJGJj9D.jpg

Never forget where you came from, but YUCK! 

CBW6bJB.jpg

Welcome to fabulousness, Houston! One block at a time.

I miss the old strip center 🥱🥱🥱

Lol jk 😏

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, cityliving said:

Took This Aerial Shot of the Montrose Collective this morning.

Wow.  Great shot.
From ground level it doesn't seem nearly as large. 

• Like 9
On 5/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, jmitch94 said:

The silvery black of these bricks remind me of the weathered cedar shingled houses of the north east. 

If you want to use it yourself it’s the Manganese Ironspot brick from Cloud Ceramics. Fairly cost competitive vs boring red brick. 

• Like 7
Posted (edited)

Are there any plans to widen Westheimer from Bagby/Brazos to Montrose?

I feel like there are doing so much building and cleaning up...but the 4 lanes are so narrow.

Edited by Pumapayam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Pumapayam said:

I feel like there are doing so much building and cleaning up...but the 4 lanes are so narrow.

There is no way to widen lower Westheimer without taking out sidewalks, I doubt that's going to happen. Repaving would make a big difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Either a gripe out session or a safety meeting at the library side, probably a little of both.

s3DiWWg.jpg

XJ6fHuF.jpg

7pVsVor.jpg

mwNsi6X.jpg

What is being built immediately next door corner to Burger Joint/Uchi?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Pumapayam said:

Houston Public Library is the main thing but probably a few other thing will be in here.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Pumapayam said:

Two retail stores, one cafe or juice bar. Top two floors are the library. Library May have an outdoor deck on Level 3 that overlooks Grant. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Pumapayam said:

I think the latest plans were to make it two lane with a turning lane and cutouts for bus stops.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Pumapayam said:

I, in turn, still think it is too wide. Make it a one lane road and make the sidewalks wider, add a bike lane, and plant more trees

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BeerNut said:

I think the latest plans were to make it two lane with a turning lane and cutouts for bus stops.

Adding a streetcar and using the outside lanes to widen sidewalks is my dream.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, cityliving said:

Houston Public Library-Montrose Branch building under construction-Steel going up.

QFY6bsb.jpgBVtAvJq.jpg

That’s the kind of density I like to see! Just curious, how was this approved if each business on this block needs a certain amount of parking due to parking mins? 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That’s the kind of density I like to see! Just curious, how was this approved if each business on this block needs a certain amount of parking due to parking mins? 

Shared parking with the development across the street

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

Shared parking with the development across the street

This is correct. Shared parking with the main building across the street. Office daytime use is balanced out with nighttime and weekend restaurant and retail uses. Fairly standard practice in mixed use developments. 

• Like 2

In theory, could the Burger Joint and Aladdin work out a deal to share parking with the new development as well?  That small shared parking lot off of Montrose is always a cluster.....it would be great to see it repurposed for to-go orders only and/or some expanded patio for both restaurants.

• Like 2