trymahjong

Montrose Collective: Office building with Retail Coming to 888 Westheimer

A lot of rumors about the Montrose HPD (900 block Westheimer) storefront closing, not surprising since HPD Chief Acevedo wasn’t a fan of store front idea. But a neighbor mentioned  a developer had bought the entire strip  ( Guess Theo’s Will be moving also.)center and a few adjacent lots north on Grant and  on Crockett street including a beautifully restored 1920’s home. All for multi use  multi-storied building ——included will be the Freed library’s move from Montrose Blvd. Apparently the developer did something charming around 6 th street and Yale  in  the Heights. Now I wonder if this developer will underwrite the HPD storefront in that development or if someone else will offer rent free space inside Montrose for the storefront to move into.

• Like 1

So Radom is coming in and buying up a strip center on Westheimer and bringing a more walkable, integrated development... Win win. Cant wait for all the strip centers heading into Midtown to be gone. Especially the mattress stores. 

Weren't the Montrose HPD storefront hours kind of ridiculous? Like 10-4 or something like that?

All for knocking that strip center down and going denser.

I heard St Thomas has plans for space Freed Library is currently using-

cynically, I just want HPD cars to come and go from the storefront at all hours ( even tho storefront not open to public) as those HPD patrollers are driving to storefront hopefully their eyes are open and they can lookout for criminal behavior.

my hope now is that new developer will reserve a small space for a new storefront rent free ......and as long as I’m hoping.....I hope the new developers will refrain from tearing down those useable houses but incorporate them into their “ big picture” as part of the development or move them to some of the empty lots in Avondale.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, LBC2HTX said:

So Radom is coming in and buying up a strip center on Westheimer and bringing a more walkable, integrated development... Win win. Cant wait for all the strip centers heading into Midtown to be gone. Especially the mattress stores. 

While I agree with you, I hope you're relatively young. The finishing touches are currently being put on yet another strip center on Lower Westheimer, and it will possibly be several decades before its (and others like it) life cycle is over.
Here's hoping that the developer of the 800 block will push to place it close to Westheimer as possible, and relegate the parking to the rear of the property. 

On 9/10/2018 at 6:52 PM, trymahjong said:

a few adjacent lots north on Grant and  on Crockett street

Crocker St. 
Unfortunately, this is an awkwardly sited street for entering or exiting Westheimer, due to the curve and Katz's Deli severely limiting views of westbound traffic. 
A workable solution might be to rout traffic for the new development down Avondale and place the entrance to whatever parking facility has to be provided off Grant St, directly opposite the Avondale intersection.
(However I imagine the Avondale Association would resist this idea.)

Radom has some pretty exciting plans for this tract but they're obviously not set in stone yet. Rest assured whatever comes will be very well thought out and very well designed. Here's hoping they can follow through with adding some concepts sorely lacking in this area. 

• Like 1

Not sure how soon this development will take place as Ted at Theos  assures everyone that there are 5 years remaining on his lease and “ he’s not going anywhere”-

worth worrying over are the 2  useable houses on Crocker that were purchased. One a run down rental but the other was totally rehabbed probably sold for 600k +-

it would be a pity to tear down either.

I reached out to HPD and spoke with one of the asst Chief. ALL HPD storefronts are under review for closing. Acevedo is looking for a way to put more bodies on street and closing storefronts might be one of them.

essentially the storefront is a means of communicating with residents and compiling the paper “Citizens complaint forms” I was told very few paper complaint forms come from storefront— most are electronically sent to HPD.  Acevedo thinks those. Officers are mearly waiting....I related my concern that the regular driving to and from The storefront through the neighborhoods by patrol vehicles was a significant crime deterrent ( IMO )and THAT was what I feared losing.

i was told that the “ weighstation” part might be adapted but bodies on street was critical.

Interestingly the developer apparently  did reach out to HPD about space dedicated to a storefront, as well as the library space. But HPD plans to hold public input sessions before anything is finalized.

8 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I reached out to HPD and spoke with one of the asst Chief. ALL HPD storefronts are under review for closing. Acevedo is looking for a way to put more bodies on street and closing storefronts might be one of them.

essentially the storefront is a means of communicating with residents and compiling the paper “Citizens complaint forms” I was told very few paper complaint forms come from storefront— most are electronically sent to HPD.  Acevedo thinks those. Officers are mearly waiting....I related my concern that the regular driving to and from The storefront through the neighborhoods by patrol vehicles was a significant crime deterrent ( IMO )and THAT was what I feared losing.

i was told that the “ weighstation” part might be adapted but bodies on street was critical.

Interestingly the developer apparently  did reach out to HPD about space dedicated to a storefront, as well as the library space. But HPD plans to hold public input sessions before anything is finalized.

If anything, it would make sense to actually have police walking beats in that area. Put more of 'em on bikes, too.

A ~250,000 sq ft office building with retail proposed for 888 Westheimer. Construction is expected to start 4Q 2019 and finish in 2021. "Montrose Collective Lp" is connected to Radom Capital

https://www.888westheimer.com/

https://www.facebook.com/MontroseCollective/

SubdivisionPlatPDF_KANYE WESTHEIMER Plat PDF-54113-20090401.pdf

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Urbannizer said:

Site

WJGJj9D.jpg

Pretty sure @swtsig has talked about this property a few times, right?

• Like 3

This has to be the best subdivision plat name ever.

I think I'll tune into the Planning meeting just to hear the commissioner say the name.

• Like 2

this has always been such a weird building/lot and i don't know why i feel that way...i just do!

glad to see something hopefully nice and more memorable will be going in!

• Like 2

I wonder if this would have a shared parking component for neighboring businesses if and when this got built. Wasn't the shared parking district thingy approved a few years back for this very area?  More parking availability could entice greater infill on other small lots nearby. Of course, that would just help tack on a 31st space for all of us:unsure:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

If the final design is similar to what I saw 6 months ago, this will be very well received.  Lots of retail with a very creative office design - it was a great fit for the neighborhood.  Fingers crossed.

Promising!!

I agree with @skooljunkie that this area needs parking. I tried to go to Aladin's the other day... I can't tell what lot is for what business and there are some former residential lots that now have parking on the dirt... Last thing I want is to see historic structures demolished for a dirt parking lot. It is about time this section of Montrose gets some love..The intersection of Montrose and Westhiemer is extremely disappointing.

• Like 2

If you parked on that dirt parking lot- take a last look at the historic houses along 2600 block on  Crocker- those are not part of Avondale west Historic district- I have been told  have each been purchased for demolitio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

If you parked on that dirt parking lot- take a last look at the historic houses along 2600 block on  Crocker- those are not part of Avondale west Historic district- I have been told  have each been purchased for demolitio.

All of them?  Both sides of the street?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

If the final design is similar to what I saw 6 months ago, this will be very well received.  Lots of retail with a very creative office design - it was a great fit for the neighborhood.  Fingers crossed.

I'm betting Michael Hsu is the architect, them and Radom Capital have paired together in the past.

https://hsuoffice.com/

Edit: Also, how many floors?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

how wonderful. Houston at it's best.

Avondale_West_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Amazing that those houses would be demolished for parking when a streetview shows hardly any parallel parking along the street. Why park on the street when we can just tear down some of them old houses?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I'm betting Michael Hsu is the architect, them and Radom Capital have paired together in the past.

https://hsuoffice.com/

Edit: Also, how many floors?

2 or 3 floors of office over 2 floors of retail. CBRE will be leasing the project. Excellent addition to the neighborhood. As @CREguy13 said it will be very well received. Very distinctive. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Amazing that those houses would be demolished for parking when a streetview shows hardly any parallel parking along the street. Why park on the street when we can just tear down some of them old houses?

Do we know that the demolition is for is for parking?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Do we know that the demolition is for is for parking?

We don't know yet, hence my use of the subjunctive, "would be."

• Like 1

I really hope this section of Westheimer gets rebuilt far before 2023 as is currently being discussed.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Urbannizer said:

A ~250,000 sq ft office building with retail proposed for 888 Westheimer. Construction is expected to start 4Q 2019 and finish in 2021. "Montrose Collective Lp" is connected to Radom Capital

https://www.facebook.com/MontroseCollective/

SubdivisionPlatPDF_KANYE WESTHEIMER Plat PDF-54113-20090401.pdf 331.68 kB · 28 downloads

23 hours ago, Triton said:

Pretty sure @swtsig has talked about this property a few times, right?

Yeah I was pretty sure this was discussed in a Montrose thread at some point. Best to hunt it down and merge it with this one.
This one has also been added to the map as "Proposed".

About Crocker street

East side of Crocker is not protected by Historic designation.

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Each of thosehouses would be offered for sale at $1.00

The buyer would have to move them of course.

I think there is another thread .....HPD storefront is closing

Iposted how space would be saved for a library, perhaps even a small HPD space. But the Greek restaurant still has a few years on its lease.

one thing no one mentions is saving the historic brickstreet where Crocker meets Westheimer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

About Crocker street

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Iposted how space would be saved for a library, perhaps even a small HPD space. But the Greek restaurant still has a few years on its lease.

one thing no one mentions is saving the historic brickstreet where Crocker meets Westheimer.

I'm guessing you meant to say the "west side" of Crocker Street?

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

About Crocker street

IMO

or perhaps

In my wildest dreams

Wait. So this isn't going to get started for another two years? This seems to be the same ole song and dance for Montrose. Either developers just haven't quite figured out the direction Montrose is going or tenants have very long leases that slow down potential development. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

But the Greek restaurant still has a few years on its lease.

Are you sure? The website for this and a bidding page says 2021 completion.

• Like 3

I'm confused. 250,000 square feet on 2-3 floors over retail would make it a massive structure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

thread regarding HPD storefront and this ^

Thanks @skooljunkie. I thought I remembered reading about this a while ago on the forum. I couldn't find it, so I appreciate this.

Mods @Urbannizer  @Triton can you please merge that thread with this one since it's about the redevelopment of the lot that's to become Montrose Collective?

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/42919-montrose-hpd-storefront-closing/

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 6:05 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks @skooljunkie. I thought I remembered reading about this a while ago on the forum. I couldn't find it, so I appreciate this.

Mods @Urbannizer  @Triton can you please merge that thread with this one since it's about the redevelopment of the lot that's to become Montrose Collective?

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/42919-montrose-hpd-storefront-closing/

Other than the same physical location, I'm not sure I see the connection.  The earlier thread was about the HPD storefront closing; this is about a new development properly in "Going Up".  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Subdude said:

Other than the same physical location, I'm not sure I see the connection.  The earlier thread was about the HPD storefront closing; this is about a new development properly in "Going Up".  

The project can't move forward until all tenants of whatever buildings are on the property vacated. Thats all the connection that is needed. Its also where the first rumors of this project began. Would be good to include it into the thread for the record. We do this for pretty much every other thread with smaller properties that then get replat into one big property. Keeping in line with precedent done in the rest of the forum, can we please merge them?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luminare said:

The project can't move forward until all tenants of whatever buildings are on the property vacated. Thats all the connection that is needed. Its also where the first rumors of this project began. Would be good to include it into the thread for the record. We do this for pretty much every other thread with smaller properties that then get replat into one big property. Keeping in line with precedent done in the rest of the forum, can we please merge them?

Consider it done.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Subdude said:

Consider it done.

Appreciate the consideration and understanding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, Urbannizer said:

Website for Montrose Collective, 888 Westheimer removed 2021 arrival date, replaced with "coming soon."

fKxEMYZ.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Holy &$#*  Good find, Urb.

I like this a lot. What a difference this is going to make on that portion of Lower Westheimer in Montrose. 

And is that a Torimen ramen restaurant I see? It's probably a filler used for mock-up purposes. 

Hurry up 2021.

Also the renderings and the information about Montrose Collection were removed after it was shared on the forum (that's why I try to include an archive page link with every post, and also take screenshots).

Here is what was listed for Montrose Collective and Horticultural System Design, Consulting, and Fabrication's involvement:

Project Location: Houston
Project Architect: Michael Hsu Office of Architecture
Project Scope: Vertical Planting and Terraces

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Posted (edited)

Developing 4Q 2019?

Maybe the Greek restaurant lease was bought out?

As for storefront.......?

chief Acevedo doesn’t seem to be a fan of law enforcement storefronts because of the cost in manpower hours. Personally I find that the comings and goings of police vehicles, odd times,  is a fairly effective crime deterrent in itself, whether or not the storefront is actually manned.

And of course that poor ole mustang topiary will finally be put to rest..........

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

My dad loves Theos... but the space is too awkward to attract a young crowd. If they wish to continue, I think it would be best if they move somewhere else in Montrose... Montrose is little greek town anyway.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Avossos said:

My dad loves Theos... but the space is too awkward to attract a young crowd. If they wish to continue, I think it would be best if they move somewhere else in Montrose... Montrose is little greek town anyway.

Agree all the way.