Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

trymahjong

A lot of rumors about the Montrose HPD (900 block Westheimer) storefront closing, not surprising since HPD Chief Acevedo wasn’t a fan of store front idea. But a neighbor mentioned  a developer had bought the entire strip  ( Guess Theo’s Will be moving also.)center and a few adjacent lots north on Grant and  on Crockett street including a beautifully restored 1920’s home. All for multi use  multi-storied building ——included will be the Freed library’s move from Montrose Blvd. Apparently the developer did something charming around 6 th street and Yale  in  the Heights. Now I wonder if this developer will underwrite the HPD storefront in that development or if someone else will offer rent free space inside Montrose for the storefront to move into.

Montrose Collective:

https://www.888westheimer.com/

6B5kkA8.jpg&key=4f46988c3cd836a46c14a3ff

4JywH9t.jpg&key=c3f963c727e5c28819bf8199

EGVbdtD.jpg&key=5ac2f4c01165166a150044a5

MontroseCollective3.jpg

MontroseCollective5.jpg

MontroseCollective4.jpg

MontroseCollective1.jpg&key=a97995be5323

MontroseCollective3.jpg&key=b2ad504b2c56

MontroseCollective4.jpg&key=1d6679795a8a

MontroseCollective2.jpg&key=5c95f0a0d68d

• Like 2

I heard St Thomas has plans for space Freed Library is currently using-

cynically, I just want HPD cars to come and go from the storefront at all hours ( even tho storefront not open to public) as those HPD patrollers are driving to storefront hopefully their eyes are open and they can lookout for criminal behavior.

my hope now is that new developer will reserve a small space for a new storefront rent free ......and as long as I’m hoping.....I hope the new developers will refrain from tearing down those useable houses but incorporate them into their “ big picture” as part of the development or move them to some of the empty lots in Avondale.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, LBC2HTX said:

So Radom is coming in and buying up a strip center on Westheimer and bringing a more walkable, integrated development... Win win. Cant wait for all the strip centers heading into Midtown to be gone. Especially the mattress stores. 

While I agree with you, I hope you're relatively young. The finishing touches are currently being put on yet another strip center on Lower Westheimer, and it will possibly be several decades before its (and others like it) life cycle is over.
Here's hoping that the developer of the 800 block will push to place it close to Westheimer as possible, and relegate the parking to the rear of the property. 

On 9/10/2018 at 6:52 PM, trymahjong said:

a few adjacent lots north on Grant and  on Crockett street

Crocker St. 
Unfortunately, this is an awkwardly sited street for entering or exiting Westheimer, due to the curve and Katz's Deli severely limiting views of westbound traffic. 
A workable solution might be to rout traffic for the new development down Avondale and place the entrance to whatever parking facility has to be provided off Grant St, directly opposite the Avondale intersection.
(However I imagine the Avondale Association would resist this idea.)

Not sure how soon this development will take place as Ted at Theos  assures everyone that there are 5 years remaining on his lease and “ he’s not going anywhere”-

worth worrying over are the 2  useable houses on Crocker that were purchased. One a run down rental but the other was totally rehabbed probably sold for 600k +-

it would be a pity to tear down either.

I reached out to HPD and spoke with one of the asst Chief. ALL HPD storefronts are under review for closing. Acevedo is looking for a way to put more bodies on street and closing storefronts might be one of them.

essentially the storefront is a means of communicating with residents and compiling the paper “Citizens complaint forms” I was told very few paper complaint forms come from storefront— most are electronically sent to HPD.  Acevedo thinks those. Officers are mearly waiting....I related my concern that the regular driving to and from The storefront through the neighborhoods by patrol vehicles was a significant crime deterrent ( IMO )and THAT was what I feared losing.

i was told that the “ weighstation” part might be adapted but bodies on street was critical.

Interestingly the developer apparently  did reach out to HPD about space dedicated to a storefront, as well as the library space. But HPD plans to hold public input sessions before anything is finalized.

8 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I reached out to HPD and spoke with one of the asst Chief. ALL HPD storefronts are under review for closing. Acevedo is looking for a way to put more bodies on street and closing storefronts might be one of them.

essentially the storefront is a means of communicating with residents and compiling the paper “Citizens complaint forms” I was told very few paper complaint forms come from storefront— most are electronically sent to HPD.  Acevedo thinks those. Officers are mearly waiting....I related my concern that the regular driving to and from The storefront through the neighborhoods by patrol vehicles was a significant crime deterrent ( IMO )and THAT was what I feared losing.

i was told that the “ weighstation” part might be adapted but bodies on street was critical.

Interestingly the developer apparently  did reach out to HPD about space dedicated to a storefront, as well as the library space. But HPD plans to hold public input sessions before anything is finalized.

If anything, it would make sense to actually have police walking beats in that area. Put more of 'em on bikes, too.

• 9 months later...

A ~250,000 sq ft office building with retail proposed for 888 Westheimer. Construction is expected to start 4Q 2019 and finish in 2021. "Montrose Collective Lp" is connected to Radom Capital

https://www.888westheimer.com/

https://www.facebook.com/MontroseCollective/

SubdivisionPlatPDF_KANYE WESTHEIMER Plat PDF-54113-20090401.pdf

• Like 8

I wonder if this would have a shared parking component for neighboring businesses if and when this got built. Wasn't the shared parking district thingy approved a few years back for this very area?  More parking availability could entice greater infill on other small lots nearby. Of course, that would just help tack on a 31st space for all of us:unsure:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

If the final design is similar to what I saw 6 months ago, this will be very well received.  Lots of retail with a very creative office design - it was a great fit for the neighborhood.  Fingers crossed.

Promising!!

I agree with @skooljunkie that this area needs parking. I tried to go to Aladin's the other day... I can't tell what lot is for what business and there are some former residential lots that now have parking on the dirt... Last thing I want is to see historic structures demolished for a dirt parking lot. It is about time this section of Montrose gets some love..The intersection of Montrose and Westhiemer is extremely disappointing.

• Like 2

If you parked on that dirt parking lot- take a last look at the historic houses along 2600 block on  Crocker- those are not part of Avondale west Historic district- I have been told  have each been purchased for demolitio.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

If you parked on that dirt parking lot- take a last look at the historic houses along 2600 block on  Crocker- those are not part of Avondale west Historic district- I have been told  have each been purchased for demolitio.

All of them?  Both sides of the street?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

If the final design is similar to what I saw 6 months ago, this will be very well received.  Lots of retail with a very creative office design - it was a great fit for the neighborhood.  Fingers crossed.

I'm betting Michael Hsu is the architect, them and Radom Capital have paired together in the past.

https://hsuoffice.com/

Edit: Also, how many floors?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

how wonderful. Houston at it's best.

Avondale_West_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Amazing that those houses would be demolished for parking when a streetview shows hardly any parallel parking along the street. Why park on the street when we can just tear down some of them old houses?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

I'm betting Michael Hsu is the architect, them and Radom Capital have paired together in the past.

https://hsuoffice.com/

Edit: Also, how many floors?

2 or 3 floors of office over 2 floors of retail. CBRE will be leasing the project. Excellent addition to the neighborhood. As @CREguy13 said it will be very well received. Very distinctive. 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Amazing that those houses would be demolished for parking when a streetview shows hardly any parallel parking along the street. Why park on the street when we can just tear down some of them old houses?

Do we know that the demolition is for is for parking?

• Like 1