Jump to content

Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.


trymahjong

Recommended Posts

On 8/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, HouTXRanger said:


I suppose . . . the area is going through some tough times, from an infrastructure standpoint. The funds to rebuild lower Westheimer just got bumped, we'll be lucky if construction starts by 2030. Last thing the area needs is even more car traffic, but there aren't any good multimodal transportation options until Metro does the 82 line improvements and whenever the Montrose TIRZ finishes improving their walk/bike network . . . but who knows how long all that will take? 

I'd happily dump the parking for redone sidewalks along Westheimer but that's just me 🤷‍♂️


Really you need both a shared garage and good sidewalks to walk from the shared garage to everything around it

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, Texasota said:

 

*rolls eyes*

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this is a shared garage, but people complaining about parking in Houston is not going to get any less ridiculous any time soon. Even when I lived in Avondale, the absolute worst experience I had with parking was that I had to park a 5 minute walk away. Big freaking deal.

 

the problem is never the parking and walking i am betting for most...it was the very real fear of getting your car broken into or possibly getting approached or worse attacked by someone up to no good (especially after 2am)... but gosh, i remember back in the day there would be lots of tow trucks having a field day towing vehicles nonstop on Lovett and Avondale mostly owned by people going to Numbers and Avant Garden and whatever Korny Vibes used to be called when it was the bar/club etc...of course that was due to confusing signs or people not even paying attention to signs...so hey a safe, reliable and convenient parking garage for the area is an awesome idea in my opinion! Plus it opens up street parking for all the people that live on the streets in homes and apartments for their use which is also great! (which so many streets have those signs now saying residents only parking during certain hours etc so hey this garage is needed more than ever!)

i think it is a win for everyone!

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/7/2020 at 3:33 PM, HouTXRanger said:


I suppose . . . the area is going through some tough times, from an infrastructure standpoint. The funds to rebuild lower Westheimer just got bumped, we'll be lucky if construction starts by 2030. Last thing the area needs is even more car traffic, but there aren't any good multimodal transportation options until Metro does the 82 line improvements and whenever the Montrose TIRZ finishes improving their walk/bike network . . . but who knows how long all that will take? 

I'd happily dump the parking for redone sidewalks along Westheimer but that's just me 🤷‍♂️

So it took this massive study to realize we need new sidewalks and better transit? Sometimes I seriously want to move. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So it took this massive study to realize we need new sidewalks and better transit? Sometimes I seriously want to move. 


The study doesn't spend 200 pages to find out that the neighborhood isn't walkable. They started with that assumption. 

The study identifies, to the individual lot level, what the condition of sidewalks and crossings are in the neighborhood. Then, they worked with a transportation agency and neighborhood meetings to identify where major multimodal arterials can or should be built, using a variety of standards for walkable, bikeable, or neighborhood streets. 

THEN, the study organizes the most important improvements to be made, divided between short and long term projects. It also identifies likely sources of funding so the TIRZ knows what they can afford and what they need to seek grants for. 

If you take the time to at least read the abstract, you'd find the study was a pretty good use of time and money. It's incredibly granular, had good outreach, and attacks Montrose's walkability head-on instead of trying to dress up a turd . . . which would have been easy for Montrose to do, it's already the "most walkable neighborhood in Houston," if they wanted to sweep this under the rug they probably could have. Makes me want to move to Montrose personally.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HouTXRanger said:


The study doesn't spend 200 pages to find out that the neighborhood isn't walkable. They started with that assumption. 

The study identifies, to the individual lot level, what the condition of sidewalks and crossings are in the neighborhood. Then, they worked with a transportation agency and neighborhood meetings to identify where major multimodal arterials can or should be built, using a variety of standards for walkable, bikeable, or neighborhood streets. 

THEN, the study organizes the most important improvements to be made, divided between short and long term projects. It also identifies likely sources of funding so the TIRZ knows what they can afford and what they need to seek grants for. 

If you take the time to at least read the abstract, you'd find the study was a pretty good use of time and money. It's incredibly granular, had good outreach, and attacks Montrose's walkability head-on instead of trying to dress up a turd . . . which would have been easy for Montrose to do, it's already the "most walkable neighborhood in Houston," if they wanted to sweep this under the rug they probably could have. Makes me want to move to Montrose personally.

That’s fair. I just think I get a bit frustrated until I see some dirt turn and changes made. I’m just eager to see Houston become what we all know it has the ability to become. But I agree, this will help shape and change Montrose. My bad for the negativity fellow HAIFers. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely want better sidewalks in montrose so i can ride my bike without dying ;) OR a bike lane would be awesome but i know that would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the line! i'm happy with all the progress coming this area's way! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gene said:

I definitely want better sidewalks in montrose so i can ride my bike without dying ;) OR a bike lane would be awesome but i know that would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the line! i'm happy with all the progress coming this area's way! 

Well, j_cuevas has a point. It's a great plan and study, but I won't hold my breath until the ground breaks. With covid as it is, there's no telling when any of these changes will actually take place. At this rate I think Richmond might get improvements before anyone else for the BRT.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the lead engineers tweeted this: 

 

If Rodney Ellis is involved with the project, based on what him and his team and COH have been able to accomplish in 3rd Ward/Downtown/Midtown/East End/the Bayous, I would bet a lot of money that parts of this project will not only have legs, but a decent timetable for certain walking and biking components. You can now get from one side of downtown to the other, both north and south and east and west on protected lanes, which was a pipe-dream not too long ago. Adding on street bike lanes to Waugh and Hawthorne and expanded sidewalks around those areas? Seems easier by comparison, especially with community buy in. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, X.R. said:

One of the lead engineers tweeted this: 

 

If Rodney Ellis is involved with the project, based on what him and his team and COH have been able to accomplish in 3rd Ward/Downtown/Midtown/East End/the Bayous, I would bet a lot of money that parts of this project will not only have legs, but a decent timetable for certain walking and biking components. You can now get from one side of downtown to the other, both north and south and east and west on protected lanes, which was a pipe-dream not too long ago. Adding on street bike lanes to Waugh and Hawthorne and expanded sidewalks around those areas? Seems easier by comparison, especially with community buy in. 

 

That is good news! Those guys also did the Austin bikeway I believe.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Does anyone have any idea what the first phase will be? I'm assuming Waugh, but what else?

I've gone ahead and grabbed the relevant section on projects from the study for everyone's convenience, and fun speculation 😁
 

These are pages 97 and 102-111, including Projects by Others and Short-Term Projects, excluding Long-Term Projects.

0.thumb.PNG.a24c534c3bce5bb73a4ee3dd0918e0d4.PNG 1.thumb.PNG.6448a9d0cb7073cf288b7ef762dd3e13.PNG2.thumb.PNG.1add2e30a77cc4d02da8640540be668c.PNG3.PNG
4.thumb.PNG.feffa88600d2c392d89875844b553f46.PNG5.thumb.PNG.df3c309ab84f343217f43b5d60cce407.PNG6.thumb.PNG.68e5a7929d802a76de284a9fdf6bfd96.PNG7.thumb.PNG.21d4f4fc1372b43887e60048a3f3eca7.PNG8.thumb.PNG.809e2cafd1f9b1a48c5eb7f4f6da82b9.PNG9.thumb.PNG.ac8a88a58a1309ccfc38ea51cba10e49.PNG10.thumb.PNG.3ada3e7f6331c9c849294c1392025429.PNG

On page 109, item 7, the Waugh and Commonwealth bikeways are listed as "Currently in Design," the only project to be listed as such. Especially considering Geoff Carlton's company's just done a bunch of bikeways, I think it's safe to assume that's the imminent project.

I'd assume the Westheimer project would be right behind it due to how important it's rated, but as we all know the funding just got pulled so . . .

 

Edited by HouTXRanger
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dang y'all! this morning i drove past the site and the steel beam construction is already reaching out to westheimer! this thing is going to look like a shell of a building and fast! 

so cool to see this quick progress! i was truly impressed!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep that first photo was exactly what i am talking about! the steel reaches almost to the darn sidewalk! love that! and like i said, its going to look like a real building any day now! wowsa! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@hindesky thanks for posting that photo...that is exactly what i was speaking of...

look at that amazing structure reaching out all the way to Westheimer practically! this building is.....uh-oh...wait for it.................................... a game changer!!!!!!! 

 

yep...i said it

🙃

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://houston.eater.com/2020/8/17/21371877/van-leeuwen-ice-cream-houston-opening-maybe-montrose

 

Cult-Favorite NYC Ice Cream Shop Van Leeuwen Will Open a Houston Location

All signs point to the beloved scoop shop opening at Montrose Collective

by Amy McCarthy  Aug 17, 2020, 9:48am CDT

 

HkFBIgj.jpg

 

 

Van Leeuwen, a New York City-born ice cream shop with a nationwide cult following, has set its sights on Houston. 

A representative for Van Leeuwen confirms to Eater that the chain will expand to Houston, but declined to provide further details on where or when it will open. In early August, Van Leeuwen registered a business entity called “Van Leeuwen Houston Montrose” with the Texas Secretary of State’s office, which indicates that the iconic scoop shop has plans to open its first Texas location in Houston’s Montrose neighborhood. 

Speculation on Houston real estate forum HAIF indicates that the shop will debut at the forthcoming Montrose Collective development. Van Leeuwen is currently listed in the leasing brochure for Montrose Collective, but it’s unclear whether or not a lease has been signed. 

For those who are unfamiliar with Van Leeuwen’s wildly popular ice cream, the shop got its start as an ice cream truck in Brooklyn in 2008, and has since expanded to a small empire of shops across NYC and Los Angeles in the years following its debut. In January, Eater NY reported that the chain had raised more than $18 million to fuel its growth, both with new locations and a push into retail stores

As far as the ice cream is concerned, expect a dense, creamy scoop that’s almost a little bit chewy. Van Leeuwen is also known for its creative and complex flavors, like currants and cream, chocolate fudge brownie, and Brooklyn brown sugar chunk. 

No timeline has been made publicly available for Van Leeuwen’s Houston debut. In the meantime, though, pints of the shop’s ice cream are available for sale at Central Market locations in Texas.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/8/17/21371877/van-leeuwen-ice-cream-houston-opening-maybe-montrose

 

Cult-Favorite NYC Ice Cream Shop Van Leeuwen Will Open a Houston Location

All signs point to the beloved scoop shop opening at Montrose Collective

by Amy McCarthy  Aug 17, 2020, 9:48am CDT

 

HkFBIgj.jpg

 

 

Van Leeuwen, a New York City-born ice cream shop with a nationwide cult following, has set its sights on Houston. 

A representative for Van Leeuwen confirms to Eater that the chain will expand to Houston, but declined to provide further details on where or when it will open. In early August, Van Leeuwen registered a business entity called “Van Leeuwen Houston Montrose” with the Texas Secretary of State’s office, which indicates that the iconic scoop shop has plans to open its first Texas location in Houston’s Montrose neighborhood. 

Speculation on Houston real estate forum HAIF indicates that the shop will debut at the forthcoming Montrose Collective development. Van Leeuwen is currently listed in the leasing brochure for Montrose Collective, but it’s unclear whether or not a lease has been signed. 

For those who are unfamiliar with Van Leeuwen’s wildly popular ice cream, the shop got its start as an ice cream truck in Brooklyn in 2008, and has since expanded to a small empire of shops across NYC and Los Angeles in the years following its debut. In January, Eater NY reported that the chain had raised more than $18 million to fuel its growth, both with new locations and a push into retail stores

As far as the ice cream is concerned, expect a dense, creamy scoop that’s almost a little bit chewy. Van Leeuwen is also known for its creative and complex flavors, like currants and cream, chocolate fudge brownie, and Brooklyn brown sugar chunk. 

No timeline has been made publicly available for Van Leeuwen’s Houston debut. In the meantime, though, pints of the shop’s ice cream are available for sale at Central Market locations in Texas.

 

Yay, two favorites together - an awesome ice cream place and Houston - a win-win for all of us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 11:58 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the race is on, which will open first, this, the new Live Nation HQ, or their (our, I work for them) venues... lol

 

the better question is which will open first, this entire development or that Nidda Thai plaza?! haha! 

i hate to keep bringing that up but come on now....!!! ;)

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, architeckton said:

 

 

Might see the crane boom swing around too. Should be left unlocked so it doesn't torque the tower under wind loads.

Yeah they will let it weather vane. On my old tower crane we had some pins we used to lock the slewing brakes in the open position because they are normally closed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2020 at 10:58 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the race is on, which will open first, this, the new Live Nation HQ, or their (our, I work for them) venues... lol

 

So is Live Nation moving their worldwide headquarters to Houston then ?  If so, that would be incredibly awesome for us !  They seem to deal with booking and handling the really big names in entertainment around the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

 

So is Live Nation moving their worldwide headquarters to Houston then ?  If so, that would be incredibly awesome for us !  They seem to deal with booking and handling the really big names in entertainment around the world.

No just their Houston office, I believe.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Montrose Collective: Office Building With Retail At 888 Westheimer Rd.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...