Any sales update on this one? My instinct is that sales for these types of luxury new construction condos has slowed substantially. I do worry that demand is simply not here right now. There are plenty of nearby resales (including at the very nice 2727 Kirby) at this price point or less. Bosch appliances at this price point is also very surprising. I do like the design of the building but given the (relative) low cost of land even in the inner loop (compared to denser cities like San Francisco or NY), condos are going to remain a niche market.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, db650 said:

Any sales update on this one? My instinct is that sales for these types of luxury new construction condos has slowed substantially. I do worry that demand is simply not here right now. There are plenty of nearby resales (including at the very nice 2727 Kirby) at this price point or less. Bosch appliances at this price point is also very surprising. I do like the design of the building but given the (relative) low cost of land even in the inner loop (compared to denser cities like San Francisco or NY), condos are going to remain a niche market.

It might be a niche, but it's getting to be a pretty big niche in central Houston.

Here's an incomplete list:

Bayou Bend Towers 1981 22 floors

1400 Hermann converted 1977 17 floors

2016 Main converted 1979 26 floors

Park Square 1982 22 floors

3525 Sage 1975 17 floors

Warwick Towers 1983 30 floors

Houstonian Estates 1982 28 floors

Parklane 1983 35 floors

The Spires 1983 40 floors

The Willowick converted 1978 15 floors

The Huntingdon 1984 34 floors

5000 Montrose 1981 22 floors

The St. Clair 1982 13 floors

The Woodway 1974 19 floors

Four Leaf Towers East 1982 40 floors

Four Leaf Towers West 1982 40 floors

Inwood Manor converted 1978 16 floors

The Oxford 1981 20 floors

Regency House converted 1980 13 floors

The St. James 1975 25 floors

The Greenway I 1979 30 floors

The Greenway II 1979 30 floors

The Lamar Tower converted 1979 23 floors

The Parc IV converted 1978 12 floors

The Parc V converted 1978 12 floors

The River Oaks 1962 16 floors

The Tealstone 1984 15 floors

Woodway Place II 1982 20 floors

Executive House 

The Campton at Post Oak

Villa d'Este

The Rise

The Robinhood

The Mercer

The Royalton at River Oaks

Montebello

The Mark

Commerce Towers

Residences at the Four Seasons

St. Germain

Bayou Lofts

Keystone Lofts

Franklin Lofts

Arabella

SkyHouse Main

SkyHouse Houston

SkyHouse Uptown

Briar Place

Briar Glen

Highland Tower

Wilshire

Beaconsfield

The Cosmopolitan
Marlowe
Byrds Lofts

Capitol Lofts

Hermann Lofts

Astoria 

Belfiore

Bristol

Woodway Place Attium

Mosaic at Hermann park

Moderne Rice Village

6007 Memorial

The Sophie

Edge Lofts

Rise Lofts

Mondrian

2727 Kirby

The River Oaks

Mimosa Terrace

Revere at River Oaks 

Riva at the Park 

Giorgetti

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, db650 said:

In any other part of Houston I would agree, but Upper Kirby is one of the few neighborhoods where it makes most sense at the moment.

I agree it makes sense in theory, but in practice, these buildings are too expensive so they are niche markets. I love the Giorgetti building nearby the Westmore, but it's not selling very well. Granted, the Westmore or priced slightly less expensive, and with smaller units. We will see how the market speaks.  

4 minutes ago, db650 said:

I agree it makes sense in theory, but in practice, these buildings are too expensive so they are niche markets. I love the Giorgetti building nearby the Westmore, but it's not selling very well. Granted, the Westmore or priced slightly less expensive, and with smaller units. We will see how the market speaks.  

65% sold prior to completion, ,according to their website.  That seems like pretty decent sales.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Westmore Condominiums: 2323 W Main, Upper Kirby
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

This one will start in November.  No major design changes.

7 story, 33 unit condominium with 2 levels of parking.  Amenity deck and pool at level 2.

Great! I love these smaller infill developments and the renders are handsome. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Paco Jones said:

This one will be delayed at best.  The budget vs. cost to build is not close at all.  They have asked GT Leach to provide a cost but I can't see how they would be able to come close, even considering they are known for cheap building practices.

Wow, that's quite a change from a month ago. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Westmore Houston: 7-Story Condominiums In Upper Kirby
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to The Westmore: 7-Story Condominiums In Upper Kirby

Pelican Builders' Westmore condo project, at 2323 W. Main St. in Upper Kirby, was designed by Bellaire-based Mirador Group and will feature 33 residential units.

COURTESY PELICAN BUILDERS

pulsinelli-olivia1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png

By Olivia Pulsinelli  –  Assistant managing editor, Houston Business Journal 
58 minutes ago

Pelican Builder is moving forward on several luxury condominium projects this year, the Houston-based residential developer said Feb. 1.

The first of those projects, Westmore, broke ground on Jan. 28. Initial plans for Westmore, a midrise at 2323 W. Main St., were originally announced in August 2019. As of February 2020 — just before the Covid-19 pandemic hit — the groundbreaking was expected in the summer of 2020

The seven-story project will contain 33 units, most of which will range from 1,560 to 1,800 square feet and start at $960,000. The four penthouses will average 2,500 square feet and start at $1.7 million. 

Houston-based Mirador Group designed Westmore with midcentury modern architecture, a press release states. Residences will feature contemporary interiors with floor-to-ceiling glass windows, pre-wiring across all residences for smart home technology and Bosch stainless steel appliances in the kitchens. Other amenities will include same-floor storage, terraces, optional pet porch potty upgrades and a fitness center. Houston-based G.T. Leach Constructors is building the project. 

“Today’s groundbreaking represents a significant milestone for Westmore in its development,” said Pelican Builders founder Robert Bland. “More broadly, the occasion is symbolic of Pelican Builders’ optimism for what lies ahead in 2021. Westmore is indicative of our steadfast commitment to Houston, which is a city of unwavering resilience. The past year has been extremely tough on everyone, but brighter days are ahead.”

Elsewhere in Houston, Pelican Builders also previously planned to break ground on a 17-story tower in the Galleria/Tanglewood area in 2020. The Hawthorne, named for "Tanglewood Tales" author Nathaniel Hawthorne, is now slated to move forward in 2021, according to the building's website.

• Like 6

Pelican Builders' luxury midrise condominium project Westmore broke ground Jan. 28 with a small ceremony at the Upper Kirby site.

“Today’s groundbreaking represents a significant milestone for Westmore in its development,” Pelican Builders founder Robert Bland said in a news release. “Westmore is indicative of our steadfast commitment to Houston, which is a city of unwavering resilience. The past year has been extremely tough on everyone, but brighter days are ahead.”

The groundbreaking was originally slated for summer 2020, but plans changed amid the unfolding coronavirus pandemic. Construction was anticipated to take about 20 months.

The Westmore, 2323 W. Main St., Houston, will have 33 residences ranging from 1,560 to 1,800 square feet and starting at $960,000. The building's four penthouses average 2,500 square feet and can be fetched for $1.7 million.

The building's mid-century modern-inspired design is the work of the Houston-based Mirador Group. The general contractor for the project is G.T. Leach Constructors.

The Westmore sales center has moved to 3400 Morningside Drive, Houston.

• Like 6

On 2/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, zaphod said:

This is kind of random of and off topic, but how did Houston end up with a really obscure 2nd Main Street (W. Main). It's obviously in the footprint of the original city so it must be substantially old and the name must have a purpose.

I always just assumed that it branched off of Main St. and headed west to connect the "suburbs" of Montrose, Hyde Park, Boulevard Oaks, etc. to downtown. As the area developed over time, Richmond and W. Alabama incidentally became major arteries instead of W. Main. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...