Now that South Main and The Citadel are nearing completion, Allen Harrison will soon move forward with their next project which is planned for the Museum District.

https://www.museumparkna.org/event-3361584

When

August 07, 2019

6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Covenant Church, 4949 Caroline

Please join us for the monthly meeting of the Museum Park Neighborhood Association.

Our guest speaker will be Mitchell Hanzik from Allen Harrison Company who will be presenting the new development on the Boone property.

• Like 7

Event page refers to the site as 'Boone property'. A search for Boone property Museum District comes up as Daniel Boone Cycles Inc at 5318 Crawford St. The block is made of a number of houses (mostly two story) though none seem to be taken well care of.

Things are heating up for the Museum District. Two blocks over a 370' high-rise is proposed @1500-1598 Calumet and a two-tower mixed-use project was recently announced for two blocks along San Jacinto.

uYz4KeG.jpg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Event page refers to the site as 'Boone property'. A search for Boone property Museum District comes up as Daniel Boone Cycles Inc at 5318 Crawford St. The block is made of a number of houses (mostly two story) though none seem to be taken well care of.

Things are heating up for the Museum District. Two blocks over a 370' high-rise is proposed @1500-1598 Calumet and a two-tower mixed-use project was recently announced for two blocks along San Jacinto.

uYz4KeG.jpg

Allen Harrison was previously involved with Museo Plaza, but, for reasons not known to me, are no longer involved in that project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Allen Harrison was previously involved with Museo Plaza, but, for reasons not known to me, are no longer involved in that project.

Interesting. Allen Harrison has only developed multifamily so they were partnering with Tramell Crow for the residential high-rise? Besides the medical office building, is Museo Plaza still a proposal?

• Like 3

I've been a little surprised that the Museum District as a whole has been relatively silent compared to other areas inside the Loop. You just feel that there is momentum in places like Downtown, Midtown, UK / Greenway, The Heights, and Post Oak just outside the Loop, but this area has been really static. I just don't hear people rushing to visit this part of town, yet it has so much potential. It has the redline going through it, a giant park and museums next door. No idea why its been this still. Anyone care to guess or have insider info on why?

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I've been a little surprised that the Museum District as a whole has been relatively silent compared to other areas inside the Loop. You just feel that there is momentum in places like Downtown, Midtown, UK / Greenway, The Heights, and Post Oak just outside the Loop, but this area has been really static. I just don't hear people rushing to visit this part of town, yet it has so much potential. It has the redline going through it, a giant park and museums next door. No idea why its been this still. Anyone care to guess or have insider info on why?

These are my thoughts exactly!!

I also have no idea why, but maybe it has something to do with the long-standing NIMBY sentiment from the nearby Ashby high rise fiasco. I know that’s a bit west of the Museum District, but maybe it scared developers enough?

• Like 3

Just now, clutchcity94 said:

These are my thoughts exactly!!

I also have no idea why, but maybe it has something to do with the long-standing NIMBY sentiment from the nearby Ashby high rise fiasco. I know that’s a bit west of the Museum District, but maybe it scared developers enough?

Thats certainly possible. We need to search for more evidence though. We need more input.

I literally look at this area all the time when I'm flying around google maps, or on the ground doing hikes/ taking pictures...and I see a mega gold mine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Thats certainly possible. We need to search for more evidence though. We need more input.

I literally look at this area all the time when I'm flying around google maps, or on the ground doing hikes/ taking pictures...and I see a mega gold mine.

Same here. That’s why I bought a house in the area just north of the 59/Montrose bridge :)

I see this area developing quite a bit over the coming years. Heck, the new Glassell School/ Cloud Gate is a 10-minute walk from my house and neither were there when I bought my house two years ago.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

There have been three new high rises and several mid rise units built in the last three years so it's really not dead. They're in the process of tearing down the Chelsea Market for another 

mid rise tower, and Hine's project next to Hanover(which just opened last year) on Montrose is progressing rather nicely. They just finished the Southmore and people are just getting ready to move into the ten story just two blocks from the Southmore. They just added the second phase of the Hermann, a seven story apartment building on Hermann Drive across from the golf course in the park. Not much on Main but Caroline and Montrose have seen quite a bit of growth. It's coming. We're also  in the middle of a huge upgrade to the Museum district and as soon as they finish all of the MFAH project I think it will add more fuel to the development fire.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, bobruss said:

There have been three new high rises and several mid rise units built in the last three years so it's really not dead. They're in the process of tearing down the Chelsea Market for another 

mid rise tower, and Hine's project next to Hanover(which just opened last year) on Montrose is progressing rather nicely. They just finished the Southmore and people are just getting ready to move into the ten story just two blocks from the Southmore. They just added the second phase of the Hermann, a seven story apartment building on Hermann Drive across from the golf course in the park. Not much on Main but Caroline and Montrose have seen quite a bit of growth. It's coming. We're also  in the middle of a huge upgrade to the Museum district and as soon as they finish all of the MFAH project I think it will add more fuel to the development fire.

All true. I understand that this could be recency bias. While this does show that development has happened, at the same time it doesn't yet answer the question of "energy" or "vibrancy". Now this is a fairly subjective thing, but I think we can agree that other areas are experiencing way more "energy" and "vibrancy" to go along with the uptick in development. Again with all the things surrounding this area I just don't understand why this is the case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Interesting. Allen Harrison has only developed multifamily so they were partnering with Tramell Crow for the residential high-rise? Besides the medical office building, is Museo Plaza still a proposal?

My understanding is that Dr. Mann still wants to follow through with additional phases of the project after the medical office building is completed.   Unfortunately, I have no information on whether the former design would be retained.

My personal dreamshot would be for Hines to partner up with him to help get it done.  They own the Southmore and acquired the Venue Museum District that is catty-corner to the site of the proposed tower (the current site for the Mann-Eye Institute). 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

My understanding is that Dr. Mann still wants to follow through with additional phases of the project after the medical office building is completed.   Unfortunately, I have no information on whether the former design would be retained.

My personal dreamshot would be for Hines to partner up with him to help get it done.  They own the Southmore and acquired the Venue Museum District that is catty-corner to the site of the proposed tower (the current site for the Mann-Eye Institute). 

The full project would be a game changer for the area. The old design was very attractive too but I guess I won’t put too much hope into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

All true. I understand that this could be recency bias. While this does show that development has happened, at the same time it doesn't yet answer the question of "energy" or "vibrancy". Now this is a fairly subjective thing, but I think we can agree that other areas are experiencing way more "energy" and "vibrancy" to go along with the uptick in development. Again with all the things surrounding this area I just don't understand why this is the case.

Thats exactly why it will happen. Proximity. Just think of this stretch as our Museum mile in Manhattan with the likes of the Neue Galeries, home to Klimt's "The Kiss",, Wright's  Guggenheim, The Whitney,(now The Breuer bldg.}. where the Met plans to hold exhibitions for the next 7 years. The Metropolitan Museum of art, The Cooper Hewitt museum of decorative design, housed in the old Andrew Carnegie mansion, this is a must visit. and many more. That is a very nice neighborhood primarily of mid rises, with smaller three and four floor homes interspersed.

I really think that the infrastructure that has developed in this southern part of Midtown and the Museum Hermann Park area, will grow organically on its own time table. There's just too much energy already in the neighborhood. Look at the crowds at The Museum this last month or two, for Van Gogh, The Children's Museum, The new Holocaust Museum, The Cam, The Crafts museum, the Natural Science museum. Hermann Park, Miller Theater, the Zoo, the golf course,McGovern lake, the pine trees. Oh, and did I mention there's a few hospitals just south of that park.

Now that's energy and when the new museum opens and you drive by there at night, tell me you won't feel that energy with that building all lit up like a lightning bug aglow on a hot summer night in June.Oh, sorry, another era. Wish you could of seen them though, back during my childhood. Fields flickering like Christmas, with thousands on, off, on, off.

It will happen. Trust me. I've always said that someday, this would be our Central park and Fifth Avenue neighborhood. We just happen to have TMC to the south, and Rice to the west.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

A few things as someone who sorta - recently moved into the area:

1) The two realtors I worked with, when I finally chose museum district, was like "hey, this is a largely established neighborhood, very stable, quiet and the residents LIKE it like that, so...just be aware." For context, I was looking at midtown/east downtown/downtown too. And they were not wrong. I think in part the lack of "energy" is that this area is very, very residential, without many coffee shops or bars, but we do have TURKEY LEG HUT! There are a loooot of townhouses here. Some older homes on bigger plots, but they are either going, or gone, it feels like (I mean, just look at this, the Boone's have been there since the 50s). And those made way for the condos and apartments. The next step of development has to be away from the museums and more toward Midtown along San Jacinto, and propping up Almeda. Basically, Blodgett and north of it. 

2) Bobruss is right, that entire list of stuff he put up has gone up in the last 5 years, and they are in the middle of adding more "affordable" condos down the street from the 10 story condos he mentioned. To that end, I've spoken to friends in residential/commercial real estate and they lament how long they've been trying to buy tracks of land in the area. It seems to be hard to come by, as the people who own them tend to lease in this area for some reason/want to keep the land within their family. Hell, it was hard to buy a house because so many people preferred to lease versus sell the damn thing to me. 

3) The museum district super neighborhood group are very nice people, but they like the quiet. They are hyped about the capping of 59. They are hyped about the bike lane on Austin. They are not super hyped about Turkery Leg Hut (but still support it), but they are very hyped about Barnaby's/Fadis/Dak and Bop. I think a little of the lack of "vibrancy" is purposeful. 

Finally, if you're on the streets of the MD at 7:30 - 8, there are dog walkers, joggers, bikers, people heading to Hermann park, Lucilles and MF Sushi, people walking to the Asian Society Center and the Glassel, and students going back to Rice. I think tho, I agree in part with Luminare. Theres so much activity, its just needs...a bit more. Something else. My older neighbors seem to think what it lacks is retail/restraurants with outdoor seating and patios. They've been wanting it for 10 years. So maybe thats it. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

It will happen. Trust me. I've always said that someday, this would be our Central park and Fifth Avenue neighborhood. We just happen to have TMC to the south, and Rice to the west.

I just want to express my full-throated agreement with this view.  Density will come along the edges as time permits. When 69 gets trenched, there could be green at both ends—and a bit of Rice to the north as well, with the coming of the Ion. 😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

A few things as someone who sorta - recently moved into the area:

1) The two realtors I worked with, when I finally chose museum district, was like "hey, this is a largely established neighborhood, very stable, quiet and the residents LIKE it like that, so...just be aware." For context, I was looking at midtown/east downtown/downtown too. And they were not wrong. I think in part the lack of "energy" is that this area is very, very residential, without many coffee shops or bars, but we do have TURKEY LEG HUT! There are a loooot of townhouses here. Some older homes on bigger plots, but they are either going, or gone, it feels like (I mean, just look at this, the Boone's have been there since the 50s). And those made way for the condos and apartments. The next step of development has to be away from the museums and more toward Midtown along San Jacinto, and propping up Almeda. Basically, Blodgett and north of it. 

2) Bobruss is right, that entire list of stuff he put up has gone up in the last 5 years, and they are in the middle of adding more "affordable" condos down the street from the 10 story condos he mentioned. To that end, I've spoken to friends in residential/commercial real estate and they lament how long they've been trying to buy tracks of land in the area. It seems to be hard to come by, as the people who own them tend to lease in this area for some reason/want to keep the land within their family. Hell, it was hard to buy a house because so many people preferred to lease versus sell the damn thing to me. 

3) The museum district super neighborhood group are very nice people, but they like the quiet. They are hyped about the capping of 59. They are hyped about the bike lane on Austin. They are not super hyped about Turkery Leg Hut (but still support it), but they are very hyped about Barnaby's/Fadis/Dak and Bop. I think a little of the lack of "vibrancy" is purposeful. 

Finally, if you're on the streets of the MD at 7:30 - 8, there are dog walkers, joggers, bikers, people heading to Hermann park, Lucilles and MF Sushi, people walking to the Asian Society Center and the Glassel, and students going back to Rice. I think tho, I agree in part with Luminare. Theres so much activity, its just needs...a bit more. Something else. My older neighbors seem to think what it lacks is retail/restraurants with outdoor seating and patios. They've been wanting it for 10 years. So maybe thats it. 

Of course they're not hyped about Turkey Leg Hut 🙄

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, X.R. said:

You'd think something like Heights Revival Market would make sense in this neighborhood. What's strange to me is all the under-utilized lots along Fannin, Main, and San Jacinto. I guess they either have really high price tags or the owners are holding them and waiting for something. Or maybe it's the homeless stigma.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, X.R. said:

They are hyped about the bike lane on Austin.

You sure about this one? Based on Nextdoor crying some people think they paid for parking directly in front their place.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, kennyc05 said:

Of course they're not hyped about Turkey Leg Hut 🙄

I applaud the owners of Turkey Leg Hut for working with the community on parking issues.  Good business usually brings alot of traffic.  Word is they are expanding and perhaps build a parking garage.

• Like 6

The developers are looking to break ground in Q4.

project looks good - seems like no stucco will be used. 

Unfortunately, no GFR. The cafe on their ground floor is for residents only. They would consider leasing it out a 3rd party if/when parking code is changed. As of now, they wouldn’t be able to build the additional parking the code calls for. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 11:30 AM, htownbro said:

I applaud the owners of Turkey Leg Hut for working with the community on parking issues.  Good business usually brings alot of traffic.  Word is they are expanding and perhaps build a parking garage.

MPNA said the TLH is building a club across the street. As you would imagine, there was a lot of grumbling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HNathoo said:

The developers are looking to break ground in Q4.

project looks good - seems like no stucco will be used. 

Unfortunately, no GFR. The cafe on their ground floor is for residents only. They would consider leasing it out a 3rd party if/when parking code is changed. As of now, they wouldn’t be able to build the additional parking the code calls for. 

So all brick or glass? Did anyone take fotos?