St. Anne Catholic Community Church At 2140 Westheimer Rd.

Highrise Tower

St. Anne Catholic Community selected Vaughn as the construction manager-at-risk for the Parking Garage and Commons Building project.

This project is the first phase of the master plan to revitalize their existing campus. The first phase includes construction of a new school commons building which contains a 9,500 SF cafeteria and kitchen, 11,300 SF gym, locker rooms, bleacher seating, 3,700 SF library and media center, and a 3,000 SF dance studio and recreation room. The project also includes a new, two-level parking garage to accommodate 330 cars and 3,500 SF of meeting space. To construct the garage, Vaughn will demolish the old gym, Guild Hall, Hispanic Ministries, and the existing surface parking.

The scope includes renovating the entry promenade, refreshing the playing fields and track, and creating a new access road to Shepherd Drive. Construction is scheduled to begin January 2019 and complete Spring 2020.

http://www.vaughnconstruction.com/news/2018/03/02/st.-anne-catholic-community-selects-vaughn-for-campus-addition

https://www.saintanne.org/documents/parish/72-road-map-for-growth-master-plan/file

https://www.saintanne.org/news-events/349-construction-corner

f2BrjgM.png

mi9wfgH.png

qiXRk72.png

awYXGVF.png

MHBBDZV.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EDIT: @ekdrm2d1 Originally broke this story back on June 24th on the "Holy Places" subforum. This will be a thread discussing the actual construction taking place regarding the master plan. The other topic in "Holy Places" will be dedicated to St Anne in general.

**Original Post**

Seems the big churchs all around Houston are getting upgrades. First I posted about St. Martins and now St. Anne.

Developer: St. Anne Catholic Community

Architect: (Unknown)

Phase I Completion: Spring 2020

While investgating HBJ I found this:

Vaughn Construction commercial building 2140 Westheimer Rd. Bldg. A Houston 77098 St. Anne Catholic Community (commons bldg.) 6806756 2019-06-28 City of Houston Commercial

Did some more digging and I found this from Vaughn Construction:

http://www.vaughnconstruction.com/news/2018/03/02/st.-anne-catholic-community-selects-vaughn-for-campus-addition

St. Anne Catholic Community selected Vaughn as the construction manager-at-risk for the Parking Garage and Commons Building project. This project is the first phase of the master plan to revitalize their existing campus. The first phase includes construction of a new school commons building which contains a 9,500 SF cafeteria and kitchen, 11,300 SF gym, locker rooms, bleacher seating, 3,700 SF library and media center, and a 3,000 SF dance studio and recreation room. The project also includes a new, two-level parking garage to accommodate 330 cars and 3,500 SF of meeting space. To construct the garage, Vaughn will demolish the old gym, Guild Hall, Hispanic Ministries, and the existing surface parking. The scope includes renovating the entry promenade, refreshing the playing fields and track, and creating a new access road to Shepherd Drive. Construction is scheduled to begin January 2019 and complete Spring 2020.

Image from Vaughn:

QpKROex.jpg

I remember walking along Shepherd a couple weeks ago and seeing that they were building a drive. Didn't know it was part of a much bigger deal.

From St. Anne's website (construction photos) from 7/19/2019:

https://www.saintanne.org/news-events

Demolition of the Gym, Guild House, La Casita, and the metal storage building is complete. All resulting debris was removed The east end of the Shepherd Drive access drive is fully poured and usable, but only for construction vehicles to exit the site onto Shepherd.

Installation of underground storm and sanitary pipes is complete. Nearly half of the grade beams for the Commons Building have been poured.

If you look carefully over the green construction fence or look down to the east from one of the second story windows on that side of the Parish Center, you can see the outline of the new parking garage.

A two-day shut-down which is required to relocate existing chilled water lines is still scheduled for July 23-24.

While we fully understand that there are many “interesting sights” on the other side of the construction fencing, please remember that no one is allowed inside the construction area (a) without the appropriate safety gear and (b) until they have completed Vaughn’s construction orientation.

VZJ4uZK.jpg

gGkKDRH.jpg

pHNbKHe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, Luminare said:

Seems the big churchs all around Houston are getting upgrades. First I posted about St. Martins and now St. Anne.

Maybe it’s time to revisit religious organizations being exempt from taxes? Between ambitious, overwrought construction projects and churches scooping up land everywhere (like what is happening currently in Third Ward), it seems they’re generally rolling in cash. And don’t even get me started on Osteen.

Unfortunately, I’m guessing that would be a political non-starter in this state.

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Maybe it’s time to revisit religious organizations being exempt from taxes? Between ambitious, overwrought construction projects and churches scooping up land everywhere (like what is happening currently in Third Ward), it seems they’re generally rolling in cash. And don’t even get me started on Osteen.

Unfortunately, I’m guessing that would be a political non-starter in this state.

I would be completely on board with charging exempt organizations some fraction of the overall taxes to pay for police, fire, etc. I wouldn't charge school tax, but the public safety portion of city taxes seems appropriate, along with any infrastructure taxes.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

What about charities like Kinkaid School and Awty International School? They should be liable for those same taxes, correct?

Absolutely. All exempt organizations ought to contribute something towards basic safety and infrastructure costs. When you see a mega-church, or private school, that spends upwards of $100 million to build a building, but doesn't pay a dime towards the costs of protecting the structure and occupants, that's annoying.

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Absolutely. All exempt organizations ought to contribute something towards basic safety and infrastructure costs. When you see a mega-church, or private school, that spends upwards of $100 million to build a building, but doesn't pay a dime towards the costs of protecting the structure and occupants, that's annoying.

Including hospitals, etc., and other "health care" organizations with large holdings.

• The title was changed to St. Anne Catholic Community Church At 2140 Westheimer Rd.

Archived