Texas National Bank At 1300 Main St.

cdenker

This photo is attributed to the Houston Chronicle , 1969.  The Texas National Bank Building (1300 Main) is on the left side of the SHELL sign with the "weatherball" still on top.  Everything I've read says the weatherball was removed in 1964.  But the building behind the SHELL sign (1200 Travis) wasn't built until 1967.  Also, the TENNECO building wasn't named that until 1966, so what am I missing here?  Also, the Gulf lollipop sign wasn't erected until 1966.  So it MUST be that the weatherball was NOT dismantled in 1964, as all the sources would indicate, because it is still in this picture. 

Image may contain: skyscraper, sky, cloud, tree and outdoor

• 4 weeks later...

I'm putting this issue to bed.  The weather ball did NOT come down in 1964, as every reference to it indicates.  Here is another picture from 1968, from the John Wayne movie "Hellfighters".  It show both the Gulf sign and the Weatherball in the background.  No disputing the date of this one, since it is a major movie with no special effects.  

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoorImage may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

• The title was changed to Texas National Bank
  • The title was changed to Texas National Bank At 1300 Main St.

Archived