I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

On 8/28/2020 at 8:49 AM, samagon said:

the city/state has already started the process of moving Clayton homes.

I mean Clayton Homes was probably on its way out regardless. The area was an inundated disaster area after Harvey, and, from what I understand, only like 20% occupied, if that. The rest was a mold infested wreck. So moving the homes away from the bayou probably makes sense.

Edited by Big E

On 8/28/2020 at 10:16 AM, Naviguessor said:

Sam - True that blocks will be lost in Eado and a few of those blocks are presently built upon.  But, East End isn't an ultimate looser in the deal.  EADO will lose the barrier of an elevated Highway and most likely gain significant green space and build-able real estate, as envision in the latest plans.  The cap-park, could be a real connector and it also appears that the GRB, would now have an East Facing entrance on the north end, further connecting the east to downtown/convention distinct.  Regarding Clayton Homes, most of this was deeply flooded in Harvey and the units are planned to be replaced in the area.  

I mean, the biggest barrier between downtown and EaDo isn't the freeway (which, like the Pierce elevated, is a viaduct that doesn't impede the street network), but the Convention Center which causes a major break in the street network, and the convention center isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 4

On page 54 of the document, there is a reference to an expansion of the GRB, at the northeast corner of the building.  This is shown a couple places in the graphic plans, regarding the cap park. I’m sure it’s preliminary, but a couple years ago, there was a commission awarded to connect/open up the east side of the center, in some way. I bet that this is it. 

http://www.downtowntirz.com/downtownhouston/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/08-11-20-Board-Book-FINAL.pdf

Edited by Naviguessor
  • Like 4

As a resident of EaDo, I see this project as more or less a break-even. I can say that the presence of 59 feels psychologically like much more of a barrier to downtown than GRB does. When I'm walking to Astros games, crossing under 59 is ugly at best, scary at worst. That said, GRB is huge and I wish it could be split in half and have Lamar or McKinney continue through it. The current shape and alignment of Discovery Green makes that basically impossible, but it's a nice pipe dream. Losing Polk as an entrance to downtown isn't thrilling, but I know I'd be more inclined to walk to downtown than drive if the cap parks existed. I really only see the project as being potentially worth it if the caps get done.

What it will do:

Make Houston a much more beautiful city to live in

Make pedestrian and bike access from midtown and EaDo into downtown much safer and more inviting

Reduce homeless encampments

Cost a lot of money

What it won't do:

Reduce congestion on any of the freeways

Actually solve any of the problems of homelessness

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Andrew Ewert said:

As a resident of EaDo, I see this project as more or less a break-even. I can say that the presence of 59 feels psychologically like much more of a barrier to downtown than GRB does. When I'm walking to Astros games, crossing under 59 is ugly at best, scary at worst. That said, GRB is huge and I wish it could be split in half and have Lamar or McKinney continue through it. The current shape and alignment of Discovery Green makes that basically impossible, but it's a nice pipe dream. Losing Polk as an entrance to downtown isn't thrilling, but I know I'd be more inclined to walk to downtown than drive if the cap parks existed. I really only see the project as being potentially worth it if the caps get done.

What it will do:

Make Houston a much more beautiful city to live in

Make pedestrian and bike access from midtown and EaDo into downtown much safer and more inviting

Reduce homeless encampments

Cost a lot of money

What it won't do:

Reduce congestion on any of the freeways

Actually solve any of the problems of homelessness

I'll just put this in as a bonus, but not for the cap, for the project overall: if we get two way all day HOV lanes (which is planned for all highways inside the loop between this and MetroNext), Metro is going to expand their P&R service to two way frequent and P&R-to-TC/P&R-to-P&R service, it'll be a wierd citywide express bus service instead of a commuter shuttle that I think has a lot of potential.

• Like 4

Apparently there was a protest today on Polk against the freeway

gallery_xlarge.jpg

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Critics-of-I-45-rebuild-plan-take-protest-to-Eado-15541024.php

About two dozen opponents of a $7 billion plan to rebuild Interstate 45 in downtown Houston north to the Sam Houston Tollway gathered in an EaDo intersection Thursday to decry the Texas Department of Transportation plan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Final Environmental Impact Statement has been released now:

http://www.ih45northandmore.com/final_eis.aspx

Also I see they have a brochure that I hadn't noticed before (seems new?) with some interesting material:

https://online.flowpaper.com/7afd0778/FactsHighlightsPapersENGLISHclickable/

Houston Chronicle article:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/TxDOT-releases-environmental-analysis-on-7B-I-45-15598001.php

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Some of the Downtown Management District's renderings teased us with a full cap, but a bridge is better than nothing.

Isn't the cap supposed to be on the other side of Downtown (the east side)? Over I-69 and the relocated I-45? The bridge you're referring to is on the west side connecting downtown to fourth ward(?). 

• Like 4

Multiple caps y'all. The cap I was referring to would have been essentially an expanded version of what is proposed here - a pedestrian/cycling connection from Andrews to about half a block north. Scale and detailing will be important here, but it's still a restoring a connection that the freeway had previously destroyed.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, Texasota said:

Multiple caps y'all. The cap I was referring to would have been essentially an expanded version of what is proposed here - a pedestrian/cycling connection from Andrews to about half a block north. Scale and detailing will be important here, but it's still a restoring a connection that the freeway had previously destroyed.

Pretty sure there has never been a cap seriously proposed in this area. It appears someone may have gotten carried away with the green coloring in a couple of the Management District's Program Diagrams, but the accompanying renderings and text do not indicate any plans for a cap on the west side.  That level of benefit and enhancement is reserved for the preferred east side.  😉

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/180131_nhhip_vision_&_opportunities_final_design_report_swa_72_dpi.pdf

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

The rendering is on page 30 of this very thread.

See page 44 of the City's West Side presentation: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/nhhip/west/presentation-west.pdf

It was pretty small and clearly a push compared to the east side cap, but I think this shows the benefit of pushing. A pedestrian/cycling connection where there is none now is a big improvement, even without the little plaza.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

https://abc13.com/7856225/

Marcus Martinez, of architecture firm Page Southerland Page, envisions turning the old freeway into the Pierce Skypark, a multi-level, mixed-use development. His plans include space for food trucks, bike lanes, greenery, even a hot air balloon - calling it an urban trellis that would seamlessly tie into other yet-to-be-developed buildings and help unify surrounding neighborhoods. It would be a destination with opportunities for social gatherings and public art, similar to offerings at Discovery Green, which was also designed by Page.

• Like 4

On 11/15/2020 at 12:33 AM, Big E said:

I'd rather they tear down the Pierce Elevated, sell the land to developers, then use that cash to help cap the freeways on the other side of Downtown, but that's just me.

same - I don’t want a reminder of an old freeway with a dead space underneath it

• Like 6

On 11/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, HouTXRanger said:

Yeah. Tear the thing down and be done with it. Use lots of the space for parks and service buildings (affordable housing?) but sell the rest if they want. Let the city fill back in.

right, the whole point of getting rid of the pierce elevated is that it is a kind of block between midtown and downtown.

whether there are cars or trees on it, it is going to have the same effect.

if we're going to displace as much of the east and north around downtown to re-route 45, get rid of every remnant of the pierce elevated structure. just get rid of it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, samagon said:

right, the whole point of getting rid of the pierce elevated is that it is a kind of block between midtown and downtown.

whether there are cars or trees on it, it is going to have the same effect.

if we're going to displace as much of the east and north around downtown to re-route 45, get rid of every remnant of the pierce elevated structure. just get rid of it.

Agreed. Selling the land is the only way TxDOT is going to offset some of the cost of the structure, too. This isn't a High Line situation where the linear park combines with a significant improvement in pedestrian infrastructure.

• Like 4