I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/nhhip/west/presentation-west.pdf

The presentation for the pierce elevated portion.

All the images are great. The vision is big.

Page 57 is the key image though. This image really hits home what this sky park could ultimately be for the area.

Still a long way to go before this actually happens, but they are take the right precedent images, and fitting them in the right way.

Really like the infill ideas underneath the bridge. Reminds me of how many of the older train bridges in Berlin are done. Also like the deconstructive elements where the pure structure is revealed while others stay covered.

All in all. The presentations for the vision of the overall idea have been fantastic. Its the first time since the introduction of Discovery Green that it feels the city is aiming high and has a grand vision to aspire too. Now all thats left is the execution! Not to mention who are the names they are going to bring onto the project to design each segment.

If I had to name one to handle a particular component of this project it would be BIG (Bjarke Ingels Group) for the structural bike bridges / bike lanes/ urban parks. They have done some really cool things in their home in Denmark regarding those conditions and it would be cool if they could be pitched as a leader for this sort of project. This vision has the potential to bring all kinds of big names to the city the way Modernism did for the city back in the 50's and 60's.

EDIT: This actually begs a bigger question. What architects or people would y'all like to see involved in this kind of vision, design wise? and for which portions? Leaving money and time out of it for now. Focusing on the vision they have put forward. What people or offices would we want to execute these projects?

Edited by Luminare

So still no signature design elements for the DT Connector bridge over Buffalo Bayou?

Kind of a shame, really. It would be cool to see an extradosed bridge here.

Edit: and now I'm at Page 17 :-)

Edited by ADCS

Page 56 on top of the “Pierce Skypark” is exactly what I was envisioning in my head! The views would be spectacular after more highrise developers would be naturally attracted to build next to the skypark.  I really hope the city stays committed to all three visions around downtown. It’s a stunning vision and would make downtown a true one of a kind experience. 

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

Really like the infill ideas underneath the bridge. Reminds me of how many of the older train bridges in Berlin are done. Also like the deconstructive elements where the pure structure is revealed while others stay covered.

The infills are an excellent idea. Having some shops underneath the Houston Skywalker would be great.

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/nhhip/west/presentation-west.pdf

The presentation for the pierce elevated portion.

All the images are great. The vision is big.

What would the length of the new park loop around Downtown be, about 5 miles or so? I have to tell you, I'm not a jogger, but the prospects of being able to take a 5 mile jog encircling Downtown Houston makes me want to start. The views from so many vantage points would be absolutely amazing!

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Did you just coin a possible name for this?!

Take this to COH immediately!

Even better idea - see if Disney will help with the development. This is the sort of space they have a lot of experience with.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, ADCS said:

So still no signature design elements for the DT Connector bridge over Buffalo Bayou?

Kind of a shame, really. It would be cool to see an extradosed bridge here.

Edit: and now I'm at Page 17 :-)

It's a nice image, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Nole23 said:

I was all about tearing down the pierce elevated.... until I just now saw the renderings of it in that presentation with the shops underneath. Wow. If we can pull this off this would definitely be unique for our city!

Unique and interesting in a way thats very Houston. Yeah the genesis was the highline and various other precedents, but the renderings and plans feel like they are approaching it to our context. I was worried that they might just ape the original, but are instead using as a springboard to something better.

Edited by Luminare

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Do we know who owns the land under the Pierce? If it is TxDOT (I believe it is), don't they plan on selling it off? If the city wants this to be a park, wouldn't they have to buy up all of that land at a huge expense?

Evidently, the City of Houston owns a lot of the land that they will need to do the highway expansion on the east side of downtown and the plan is to do a land swap with the state. 

Land is sold at market value if TxDOT were to sell part of it. No idea if CoH gets preferential bids or anything. 

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Do we know who owns the land under the Pierce? If it is TxDOT (I believe it is), don't they plan on selling it off? If the city wants this to be a park, wouldn't they have to buy up all of that land at a huge expense?

That's I think the big problem with all these presentations from the city. They are quite ambitious and exciting but with the North Canal being the ONLY part of these presentations that has any funding in place, it seems quite hard to believe that they'll be able to find funding for even half of this, unless the federal government somehow matches what the city puts in.

9 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Evidently, the City of Houston owns a lot of the land that they will need to do the highway expansion on the east side of downtown and the plan is to do a land swap with the state. 

Land is sold at market value if TxDOT were to sell part of it. No idea if CoH gets preferential bids or anything. 

I imagine that COH owns the streets, which actually make up a decent share of the land needed, but I can't imagine it's much more than 25%. Nor would it be a straight-up acre-for-acre swap. I envision an army of appraisers.

5 hours ago, wilcal said:

CoH has the right to purchase the property before it can be offered to anyone else or put on the market. I'm not sure about this, but Harris County could also have the same privilege, after CoH.

In terms of price, my understanding is that CoH would have to pay market price. Determining the market price is not an exact science and the price could potentially be agreed to be on the low end of a market range and still be in compliance with rules.

6 hours ago, Triton said:

That's I think the big problem with all these presentations from the city. They are quite ambitious and exciting but with the North Canal being the ONLY part of these presentations that has any funding in place, it seems quite hard to believe that they'll be able to find funding for even half of this, unless the federal government somehow matches what the city puts in.

I'm sure funding sources from the feds are possible. 

23 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I imagine that COH owns the streets, which actually make up a decent share of the land needed, but I can't imagine it's much more than 25%. Nor would it be a straight-up acre-for-acre swap. I envision an army of appraisers.

They own at least the block where the CoH Parking Management office is. I saw that they added meters all around the sides. 

And now that I think about it, I wonder if the county owns the land for the Astros parking lots since they own the land under the stadiums and lease it. 

22 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

So where do these towers come from. Like to they build this "skywalk" expecting towers to be integrated in the system? 

I specifically asked about the skywalk connecting GRB on the southern end and they said it would only be developed if there was a hotel that was built. There are plans for one to be built on the old Kim Hung supermarket site but I think it would be a while before it actually gets built. 

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

They own at least the block where the CoH Parking Management office is. I saw that they added meters all around the sides. 

And now that I think about it, I wonder if the county owns the land for the Astros parking lots since they own the land under the stadiums and lease it. 

The city doesn't own the parking management office - they lease it.

Many of the Astros lots on east side of 59 are controlled by the Louis Macey family. They run ops on these lots in house (LAM parking).

4 hours ago, HNathoo said:

The city doesn't own the parking management office - they lease it.

Many of the Astros lots on east side of 59 are controlled by the Louis Macey family. They run ops on these lots in house (LAM parking).

All of the lots that will be affected by the freeway project are on county records as being owned by the Harris County Houston Sports Authority.  Further, all of the Astros lots east of 59/69 are included in the Stadium Lease by which the Authority leased them to the Astros (It should be safe to presume the Authority owns the property that they are leasing to the Astros).

Macey does own property in EADO and has for many years (and he may have formerly owned some of the Astros lots and/or the part of the site of BBVA Compass Stadium). In a Chronicle article back in 2015, Macey was quoted as saying he was going to lose two blocks to the highway project.  Those holdings appear to be behind the GRB.

Edited by Houston19514

14 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Block 182 is owned by the Macey's, as well as a few other lots that won't be impacted by the TXDOT project. I guess those lots aren't officially Astros lots, but are utilized by the public when games are played.

Which block is Block 182?  I cannot find a map that shows the block numbers east of I-69

1 hour ago, HNathoo said:

The lot bounded by Rusk, St. Emmanuel, Capitol, and 59

Ah, yes.  Macey owns that block and they also have some other parcels that will be taken by the freeway project (including a good portion of the next block to the southwest (presumably block No. 181?)). As you said, none of them are among the Astros lots that were originally suggested as being county-owed and therefore possibly available for swaps for the Pierce Elevated land.

• 2 months later...