I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd rather they tear down the Pierce Elevated, sell the land to developers, then use that cash to help cap the freeways on the other side of Downtown, but that's just me.

Absolutely love this quote from the article “If you really want to live in the suburbs, that’s OK. That’s a choice,” Graham said. “But when you make that choice you have to understand that you can’t d

Posted Images

Does anyone know why it is necessary to widen I-45 North AND build the Hardy Toll Road extension? I assume planners and engineers took the completion (or non-completion) of either project into consideration in their traffic forecasts, right?

59 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Does anyone know why it is necessary to widen I-45 North AND build the Hardy Toll Road extension? I assume planners and engineers took the completion (or non-completion) of either project into consideration in their traffic forecasts, right?

I think the Hardy extension is on indefinite hold. 

• Confused 1

Blah, so why did they start on the Elysian viaduct then?

From what I can tell, the proposed Hardy extension would only lead to the removal of maybe 4 or 5 houses and a couple of likely to be disused industrial structures.

Given the concerns about the I-45 expansion the Hardy extension would have lesser impacts but still achieve similar goals.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Blah, so why did they start on the Elysian viaduct then?

From what I can tell, the proposed Hardy extension would only lead to the removal of maybe 4 or 5 houses and a couple of likely to be disused industrial structures.

Given the concerns about the I-45 expansion the Hardy extension would have lesser impacts but still achieve similar goals.

Even if its completed as designed, the Hardy Toll Road extension will not achieve the same goals as the 1-45 expansion. Extending it will take pressure off the loop and the other freeways going into downtown, because traffic will be able to take the tollway all the way in rather than being forced onto the loop and then either 1-45 or 1-69 to get downtown. So, for commuters who already make use of the tollway, it will be a boon, and it will take pressure off the other inner loop freeways, but it will do nothing to alleviate the traffic nightmare and dilapidated mess that is 1-45 north of the loop, it does nothing about the Pierce Elevated, and it won't bury the freeway on the southside of downtown.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, wilcal said:

According to HCTRA's website, construction of the Hardy extension lanes is scheduled to start in September of this year.

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

According to HCTRA's website, construction of the Hardy extension lanes is scheduled to start in September of this year.

Chronicle transportation reporter said it was shelved as of last September 

I'll reach out to him and ask if he knows if that has changed. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, wilcal said:

Yep, HCTRA is run by Harris County, which is now run by Lina Hidalgo. The Hardy Extension is likely permanently dead.

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Chronicle transportation reporter said it was shelved as of last September 

I'll reach out to him and ask if he knows if that has changed. 

"Shelved it" rather overstates the situation, I think.  Last year (around May, I think) "HCTRA received authorization from Commissioners Court to suspend development of Phase II to allow for reevaluation of any proposed project within the corridor."

In December 2020, Commissioner's Court authorized HCTRA to seek statements of interest and qualifications . . . [regarding] planning and conceptual design for the toll road extension.

In January 2021, Commissioner's Court authorized agreements with Union Pacific in connection with the development of the downtown connector.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

"Shelved it" rather overstates the situation, I think.  Last year (around May, I think) "HCTRA received authorization from Commissioners Court to suspend development of Phase II to allow for reevaluation of any proposed project within the corridor."

In December 2020, Commissioner's Court authorized HCTRA to seek statements of interest and qualifications . . . [regarding] planning and conceptual design for the toll road extension.

In January 2021, Commissioner's Court authorized agreements with Union Pacific in connection with the development of the downtown connector.

My only comment is that some of the supporting work for the overpasses for crosstreets over the railroad tracks have already been completed. It is possibly that they are completing the work that actually benefits the locals and not the extension itself, but of course I don't know that for sure. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, wilcal said:

My only comment is that some of the supporting work for the overpasses for crosstreets over the railroad tracks have already been completed. It is possibly that they are completing the work that actually benefits the locals and not the extension itself, but of course I don't know that for sure. 

No, the items I mentioned were for Phase II of the project, which is the construction of the tollway lanes.  The sorts of items you are referencing were Phase I projects.

• 2 weeks later...

the letter says they want to work together to see if they can continue to pursue contracts. the letter from March 4 is very clear that any contract solicitations should be paused.

this is the most nicely worded way of saying 'hey, we see what you're doing, so stop'.

• Like 4