I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

It is a blessing if they could finish it within 10 years…

Thats certainly the optimistic view. Lets not kid ourselves here though. This project is going to be both expensive and time consuming! Everyone should get out of their heads that this will be simple, fast, and painless because thats not this project and that's not how you do this project right. This is a massive scope, and a massive undertaking and that means we need to be able to understand that there will be significant costs associated with this.

That being said. This is one of those once in a generation type projects! The ones that only swing bye every 20-30 years. This change could completely reshape how not only Houston looks, but how people view the city both locally and abroad. This is a 50 year type decision meaning this is one of those projects that could define Houston for the next 40-50 years.

• Like 5

There is no reason why they can't sell the land rights underneath the bridge. That way those areas could be infilled by various shops built under the bridge, maybe a food truck park, I can image a skate park underneath, you could even have it to where some buildings build portions of their building underneath the bridge then flow onto the rest of the lot next to the bridge and then have entrances to the bridge park on the next level as sort of store fronts for the bridge. I'm actually now pretty behind this.....as long as they kill the pierce from the Bayou to I'10. We look like barbarians with rivers of concrete overshadowing what could be very nice....well river/bayou. Plus if you kill that you can make the park way and then invest in a signature bridge going over the bayou (anyone wanna call up Calatrava? I hear we have a project for him :P )

• Like 2

While everyone is happy that the plans call for the Pierce Elevated to be eliminated as a barrier between Midtown and Downtown, I see some things that will likely cause some understandable controversy. This may be called the North Houston Highway Improvement Project, but the southern end of the project is in 3rd Ward and it looks like some of the street grid in the area to the west of Almeda, namely Cleburne, Caroline, Crawford, Austin, Eagle, Blodgett and Barbee Streets will be cut off in some parts if I-69/US59 is trenched. It also shows a new offramp from I-69/US59 to Almeda at Truxillo plowing through the S.H.A.P.E. Community Center's administrative offices, and it looks like the current free exit from 288 to Chenevert Street will become accessible only via the managed lanes.

I wonder if there will as much lament here that the proposed trenched I-69/US 59 will interrupt parts of the street grid in 3rd Ward as there is that the Pierce Elevated is a barrier to Midtown and Downtown even though it allows for the street grid between Midtown and Downtown remain intact?

I'm basing my observations on these plans: http://www.ih45northandmore.com/docs4/16_20150417_Seg3_PM4_Exhibit_02_Eastern_Half.pdf

I would think replacing the elevated structure with a depressed freeway would more than offset the loss of a few street crossings.  I would happily make that trade.

There is no reason why they can't sell the land rights underneath the bridge. That way those areas could be infilled by various shops built under the bridge, maybe a food truck park, I can image a skate park underneath, you could even have it to where some buildings build portions of their building underneath the bridge then flow onto the rest of the lot next to the bridge and then have entrances to the bridge park on the next level as sort of store fronts for the bridge. I'm actually now pretty behind this.....as long as they kill the pierce from the Bayou to I'10. We look like barbarians with rivers of concrete overshadowing what could be very nice....well river/bayou. Plus if you kill that you can make the park way and then invest in a signature bridge going over the bayou (anyone wanna call up Calatrava? I hear we have a project for him :P )

One of the cool ideas they have is to connect the bayou to this, so eliminating that part might make those plans impossible. 

Still trying to get my head around this. It's amazing and really never thought that TXDot would shoot for the "Grand Option". All is far from said and done, I know. But Wow...just Wow. I'm a little curious how motorists coming up 45 or West on I-10 will get over to Allen Pkwy, Midtown and Montrose, most efficiently. Also, Looks Like Charters will be eliminated and St. Emmanuel will become Primary northbound surface lanes. Not sure, but appears that the blocks between will be preserved. Right? Wondering about Tout Suite Coffee Shop...

• Like 2

I69/145 is trenched between St Emmanuel and Hamilton (No quite Hamilton, since the GB extends over the Hamilton ROW).

15 blocks or so between 59 and St Emmanuel will need to be ED'd in this plan including lots leased to the Astros, one of the Ballpark Lofts buildings, Little Woodrows, The Meridian, etc.

I think the big reason this route is chosen is that #1 EaDo blocks are less valuable than Downtown blocks, and the Pierce ROW is pretty much impossible to expand, so the most cost effective way to maximize the width of ROW and cost is  to buy the less developed Eado blocks and offset some of the cost by selling the Pierce ROW.

Edited by JJxvi

Ummm, yes please. I'm not really concerned about being a copy cat, people here would eat this up like a fake town square in the suburbs. It would also attract more residents to the downtown/midtown area. Creating a boulevard, which would also be nice, would only improve the area so much. This makes it stand out.

As far as the concern with the underbelly of it, I'm sure they can be creative and do something with that, too. Either use it for parking for the people driving to their urbanism and then going home (like my sig says) or they could easily build restaurants or whatever you wanted to, I would assume.

the whole "copy cat" complaint is such a cop-out anyways... practically every idea in the history of ideas is a riff off someone else's idea. why is having our own highline any different than having our own klyde warren park? i agree that the entire length of the pierce elevated is overkill and you probably don't need six lanes the entire way either (the idea of keeping six lanes in a few spots for kiosks, food trucks etc. is cool) but it's a neat idea that would get a ton of use. perhaps if you kept a poprtion of the curved area stopping around travis so it opens up some of the "dead zones" near dallas north towards buffalo bayou park and also southern midtown past main/fannin.

• Like 3

I am not keen on keeping all six lanes of the Pierce Elevated. However, keeping certain 3 lane portions and widening to six around the western edge turn north could be very cool. Having fewer lanes might eliminate some of the lighting issues (there's much less of a cavern under merely three lanes as opposed to six. Additionally, keeping the three lanes would make it possible to have some upgrades to promote mood lighting underneath--I've thought having LED's under a freeway that could change colors would make the areas much brighter and more pedestrian friendly. If they are going to trench 59/69/45 east of Downtown, it would be nice to cap that off to create additional green space (as well as the newly trenched portion by me in the Museum District but that is for another topic). The newly created green space could then be linked to Buffalo Bayou on thenortheast and the former Pierce Elevated on the southwest. The former Pierce would then link up to Buffalo Bayou again on the West. If we could improve the trails and parkspace running along Buffalo Bayou on the north side of Downtown, we would have a nice green ring surrounding the central business district.

Anyhoo, just my thoughts.

Alright, I admit it's grown on me some. I toyed with the idea for a few minutes and came up with a stretch of park from green space just north of W Dallas (a hike/bike lane connector follows the Allen Parkway exit north across Allen and links to Buffalo Bayou Park), under the old/removed ramps, down to Austin (assuming the BMW dealer can be bought out/repurposed into something connected to the elevated), wifh a meandering ramp down to street level at La Branch (I'd like to see a bike path down LB). Another meandering ramp down to street level at the curve north, and 4 different 2 block long cut outs/reduced to 3 lanes along the stretch. The park connects to the street level at the blue lines and into the buildings level with the pierce at the red lines (Federal building, 2016 Main, Advantage BMW).

F12BE1F0-8CC6-44B4-88D4-D3F6ADFC22F4_zps

If they could get a full greenbelt ring that could be an awesome amenity for downtown residents.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I went to the txdot freeway public meeting tonight and while talking to one of the consultants this project came up and he said the downtown district is not in favor of keeping the Pierce elevated. So if we want it, we might want to start making our voices heard now. Apparently they still think it would be a barrier between midtown and downtown. It might also take convincing of txdot to sell it, too, I'm not sure. Maybe someone who really wants this to happen can contact the groups proposing this project to find out what it will take to get it done w/ txdot and the downtown district.

I went to the public meeting tonight. Let me say that I think anyone who has any interest in this at all, I recommend going to the next meeting, I had a great experience.

There were many consultants to the project available to discuss my questions. They were all very pleasant and ready and willing to talk. They also had HD motion video renderings of each section, too, which was very helpful for visualization. I learned a lot and stayed for the entire two hours, basically just observing and talking with the consultants.

To start off with the big picture first, which I think this will be very helpful to anyone wanting to get involved to create a better Houston. HGAC it seems is the driving force behind most changes in our region. I was told that it is federally mandated that cities of a certain size are required to have an MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization), HGAC being ours. So they influence TxDot and other entities about what to do. Maybe that was common knowledge, but I didn't realize they had that type of authority.

As I was looking at the trenched portions and talking with the consultant, I realized that they're basically tunnels and asked the guy what the difference was. He agreed that they're basically the same. I think he called it a "cut and cover." This is obviously more expensive than building on the surface, but to me, this should be the standard for all freeways going forward. One, it takes up less right of way because the frontage roads on the ground level can be closer in. Two, eventually we are going to need that space for more freeway lanes and/or trains. I really don't like more freeways, but let's face it, they will forever be part of Houston's infrastructure. This proposal is only looking towards 2035 or 2040. What happens when that day comes, and then 100 yrs from now? We have to have double decker freeways and commuter rail. OR, we have to do more eminent domain and create more surface streets and medium sized roads (thoroughfares?) beyond 610 and the beltway, get light rail lines etc. I don't see the latter happening. Having green space sounds nice, but we really need it for transportation.

Some other random things I remember. The Fannin exit off 59 south is being eliminated. There's an alternative, but I don't remember the road, so it looks like Alameda might be a big funnel for people traveling to the museum district and medical center.

The ballparks lofts are coming down without a doubt.

As I said in the other thread, the downtown district is apparently against keeping the Pierce elevated for a park.

The 610/45 intersection will resemble the newer intersections that the beltway has with other major freeways, which will include surface streets which it doesnt currently have.

The project still doesn't have funding, personally, I don't see that being a problem.

The consultants kept encouraging us to make comments, so it seems like they do actually consider our thoughts and ideas.

oh yeah, one consultant said DFWs MOP was the best in Texas, if not the country.

Overall, I feel like it is a pretty good plan. Every time I brought up a concern, it seemed the consultants had reasonable solutions.

*apparently, I made it on camera of channel 2's story tonight. See, yall should go, get your 15 seconds of fame.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 5

so we need to start a Green Ring Initiative..?

Please no. This is our one shot at a cohesive plan of eliminating a elevated freeway that has separated a dense grid of streets since the gulf freeway opened. It doesn't matter if these plain concrete columns are holding a park or a freeway, it must be removed. Even though some of us may see past this (even in it's current state), the populous does not.

Getting rid of this barrier opens the door for a future that we can't even fathom. Downtown will mold into Midtown. Eventually, 20-30 year from now, a majority of the midtown apartment complexes will give way to high rises. imagine when we can't even recognize Downtown from Midtown. Keeping this bland and completely unimaginative/no architectural significant stretch of elevated freeway does nothing but keep the boundaries.

It has to go. End of story. Turn the current portion into a park, sure, but why does it need to remain on these columns? Why can't it be on the ground and integrate with the street. Seems like such a waste of energy and resources to turn this into a park. I get that it doesn't matter if it's copying NYC. That's not my argument. But saving the bottom of the barrel, cheapest design of an elevated freeway, is a fight not worth fighting.

Also, if you keep it elevated, you almost turn it into an elitist park. Oh don't worry, you can run along that park, it completely passes the homeless shelters and the public transportation (greyhound).

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 7

I really think if it is turned into a park, the psychological barrier that was there before won't be any longer, as long as they cleaned it up underneath on the street level. If they didn't, then I agree, it wouldn't be worth it.

What was truly the psychological barrier? Isn't it the darkness, noise and creepiness? The park and changes below would change all that I think.

Will the entire Ballpark Lofts be destroyed, or just the block that abuts the (current) freeway? It seems like they could keep the garage and the other block of apartments that are a block away.

It looks like only the far west block. Hopefully they wouldn't need to do the rest as well, I don't see why.

Aren't we already seeing the beginnings of a blending of downtown and midtown? We've got residential projects in south downtown and the old central bank building in north midtown. Wouldn't the park actually draw both downtownians and midtownians together to the midpoint between the two??? ;)

• Like 1

I really think if it is turned into a park, the psychological barrier that was there before won't be any longer, as long as they cleaned it up underneath on the street level. If they didn't, then I agree, it wouldn't be worth it.

What was truly the psychological barrier? Isn't it the darkness, noise and creepiness? The park and changes below would change all that I think.

It wouldn't. The columns and the freeway/park would still be there. What could honestly be cleaned up? It's not like lighting will help, it's still under a bridge Downtown. You could turn this into the most beautiful architectural masterpiece on top, but the columns and under space remain. There is already parking there. Even adding some paint like the aquarium wouldn't make a difference. It's still under a freeway.

It wouldn't. The columns and the freeway/park would still be there. What could honestly be cleaned up? It's not like lighting will help, it's still under a bridge Downtown. You could turn this into the most beautiful architectural masterpiece on top, but the columns and under space remain. There is already parking there. Even adding some paint like the aquarium wouldn't make a difference. It's still under a freeway.

c'mon, where's your Houston can-do spirit? haha jk

c'mon, where's your Houston can-do spirit? haha jk

Seriously any effort to save the pierce elevated is ****ing joke and an absolute waste of time, energy, and resources. The Downtown/Midtown section of town should not be focusing on saving the cheapest of cheap elevated freeway designs, but instead should focus on a grand plan of integrating the two neighborhoods and promoting trees and other beautification of the urban environment.

I mean, this city does have a grid. Why eliminate any hope of densification and a street life we are all fighting for? It is completely counterproductive to raise any funds or awareness of saving the pierce.

• Like 1