Montrose Infrastructure Reconstruction

They've been reconstructing all of Yupon St. from Westheimer to W. Alabama for a about a month now. The entire street got improved storm and drains. The reconstruction is a bit odd with this one though. Some areas are getting new sidewalks and drives while others aren't. Its not a complete redo like they did with First Montrose Commons. Its your basic concrete curbs with sloped asphalt. Glad this is being done regardless as the streets on this part of Montrose are plain terrible. Do we know if this is happening throughout the neighborhood? Pics below:

PflLsNa.jpg

XeN5R5F.jpg

wrAXjX6.jpg

WBeKqyp.jpg

• The title was changed to Montrose Infrastructure Reconstruction. More To Come?
16 hours ago, Avossos said:

Is this the same as what was done for First Montrose Commons?

19 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

729F58C9-4EE8-4AE2-A3F8-2FBD051E361C.jpeg

I'm now renaming this to be a "general" Montrose Infrastructure Reconstruction thread.

By the reading of this it sounds like it will be in line with what went in at First Montrose Commons. The area that I posted is in or near Mandell Place. Glad to see both areas getting upgrades especially that area south of First Montrose Commons which has really lagged behind the rest of Montrose in anything really.

20 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

729F58C9-4EE8-4AE2-A3F8-2FBD051E361C.jpeg

This was in the newspaper? Really wish we had a map we could navigate to see all these projects. Everytime I go to the Rebuild Houston website, their map is down.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:43 PM, Luminare said:

They've been reconstructing all of Yupon St. from Westheimer to W. Alabama for a about a month now. The entire street got improved storm and drains. The reconstruction is a bit odd with this one though. Some areas are getting new sidewalks and drives while others aren't. Its not a complete redo like they did with First Montrose Commons. Its your basic concrete curbs with sloped asphalt. Glad this is being done regardless as the streets on this part of Montrose are plain terrible. Do we know if this is happening throughout the neighborhood? Pics below:

PflLsNa.jpg

XeN5R5F.jpg

wrAXjX6.jpg

WBeKqyp.jpg

From what I understand, it will only be Yupon. Apparently, there is a central trunk line under Yupon that drains much of the surrounding area and the line needed to be replaced / upgraded to alleviate storm water drainage backup in the neighborhood.

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

I'm now renaming this to be a "general" Montrose Infrastructure Reconstruction thread.

By the reading of this it sounds like it will be in line with what went in at First Montrose Commons. The area that I posted is in or near Mandell Place. Glad to see both areas getting upgrades especially that area south of First Montrose Commons which has really lagged behind the rest of Montrose in anything really.

Why do you think that area of Montrose has lagged behind the rest of the neighborhood? Would you say that it’s the cheapest part of Montrose from a price per square foot of land perspective?

2 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Why do you think that area of Montrose has lagged behind the rest of the neighborhood? Would you say that it’s the cheapest part of Montrose from a price per square foot of land perspective?

That area and most parts south of Richmond in general. Its a rougher part of the area, but its part of being on the fringe of the neighborhood aback to a very busy highway. Its kind of a left out part of Montrose. Not even to say that its bad, but its the way it is, and I don't think its going to change that much until they improve infrastructure and at some point when the BRT pass that area. There is almost zero commercial as well except for a few convenience stores, a bar, a couple restaurants. Just not much going on. Its also one of the oldest parts of Montrose like Westmoreland. I'm sure there are some interesting older houses in there, but haven't walked enough of the area yet (look to do so soon). As the area begins to change more hopefully this area gets carried with it and gets more polish.

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

That area and most parts south of Richmond in general. Its a rougher part of the area, but its part of being on the fringe of the neighborhood aback to a very busy highway. Its kind of a left out part of Montrose. Not even to say that its bad, but its the way it is, and I don't think its going to change that much until they improve infrastructure and at some point when the BRT pass that area. There is almost zero commercial as well except for a few convenience stores, a bar, a couple restaurants. Just not much going on. Its also one of the oldest parts of Montrose like Westmoreland. I'm sure there are some interesting older houses in there, but haven't walked enough of the area yet (look to do so soon). As the area begins to change more hopefully this area gets carried with it and gets more polish.

I particularly like that area of Montrose for its close proximity to the Museum District. The area around the Glassell School is practically a 10-minute walk and you can jog over to the Rice loop in 5-10 minutes.

I think it’ll get some significant polish once this road construction is complete, as well as once the area around the spur gets cleaned up. Timberline Fitness is in the process of opening a multi-story gym on Jack St and a new bar is opening soon in the old Brooklyn Athletic Club space.

I wonder what will ever come of that lot where the empty African Art Center is facing Montrose and Woodrow. Developing that will certainly help as well.

That neighborhood and the south part of First Montrose Commons are directly across the Spur from the homeless population surrounding the old Sears store and the veterans housing facility. It, along with the Midtown neighborhoods east of the Sears building, should experience the biggest benefit from the Rice redevelopment and 59 reconstruction.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Montrose Infrastructure Reconstruction

Archived