Iconia Hard Rock Houston: Hotel & Condominiums At 3500 Sage Rd.

Urbannizer

I think this will be a good draw for families (and maybe the young and or musically inclined traveler)...but honestly surprised at the location as this seems more like it would be a downtown hotel (especially somewhere near discovery green)...but hey i am not complaining!

I will say heck yes, would love a W Hotel in the area...that is the only chain i stay at in New York and LA!

Edited by gene
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

A Hard Rock Hotel & Residences is proposed for the southern end of Uptown, Sage Road & South Rice Avenue

SubdivisionPlatPDF_Hard Rock Hotels And Condominiums-Sheet 1 - PP.pdf 372.69 kB · 14 downloads

Very weird location for a Hard Rock Hotel. This wants to be ON Post Oak Blvd.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Moonb007 said:

The true question is it going to be guitar shaped like the one in Flordia. 

5651040-6341761-image-a-41_1541076368281.jpg

Hey! Houston is suppose to be the land of kitsch! Its so ridiculous that it becomes so bad its good. However this also wants to be in Las Vegas rather than Florida.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ZRFkris said:

I would think ballpark district downtown would be better for a development like this and the W would fit in this location especially if they could create walkable retail to connect to McNair project and Post Oak.

Downtown would be better, but this says to me "cheap land with freeway visibility." Downtown would not allow them to put signage up. 

• Like 4

It's where an old post office now sits.  I hope the US got a good price for the site. It's walkable to Sam's club and Walmart, a few blocks from the Galleria  and  a chipotle and Mod pizza in the strip mall on Richmond.  I would consider this a really off location for a place that is associated with Buzz.  Maybe that's the problem with the 

brand and which sells nostalgia to middle aged people and is a few stages removed from the energy and creativity of rock n roll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Downtown would be better, but this says to me "cheap land with freeway visibility." Downtown would not allow them to put signage up. 

The signage on the Hilton Americas, Marriott Marquis, Westin, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and Homewood Suites hotels and the signage on the former Doubletree downtown suggest that a downtown Hard Rock Hotel would also be allowed to have signage.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

The signage on the Hilton Americas, Marriott Marquis, Westin, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and Homewood Suites hotels and the signage on the former Doubletree downtown suggest that a downtown Hard Rock Hotel would also be allowed to have signage.

Yes there is an exemption from the signage ordinance for hotels.  I'm not sure if there are other limits.

HRHs aren't bad.  I've been in a couple.  But location is indeed weird.  Whoever said by the ballpark and Convention Center is right.

14 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Why are people here obsessed with W's? They haven't been in since since like 2010 and there are a ton of better brands that have popped up since then. 

Ws have not aged well.  (Not that the rooms were all that great to begin with, at least not the ones I have stayed at in the French Quarter, NYC, and Mexico City.)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Alright, I stand corrected. I'm glad you remembered the former Doubletree hotel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonb007 said:

The true question is it going to be guitar shaped like the one in Flordia. 

5651040-6341761-image-a-41_1541076368281.jpg

Well see, the first rendering will be a guitar and then the final product will end up being a rectangle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Triton said:

Well see, the first rendering will be a guitar and then the final product will end up being a rectangle.

I think what you meant to say was it would be dumb down from a sexy electric guitar to a silly cardboard "air" guitar.

EDIT: fixed tenses.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, gclass said:

w_hotel_image_4.jpg

W HOTEL the PALM - dubai, uae

al-habtoor-city.jpg

W HOTEL al HABTOOR CITY - dubai, uae

W-Hotels-Logo.png

@iah77 the REAL QUERY that you should be presenting is... WHY DOESN'T HOUSTON, THE 4th LARGEST CITY IN THE USA... HAVE ONE YET!  (dallas has one, atlanta has two, austin has one, and so on) please feast your eyes upon the above illustrations that i have showcased.  i have harbored the utmost pleasure of vacationing at both of these W HOTEL pleasure palaces in dubai, uae, while i was working abroad in afghanistan.  high-end style, sophistication, supreme service, foremost amenities, spectacular design, location, ultra-posh, and comfort, are just a few of the primary reasons that i  often opt to vacay/stay at a W HOTEL brand.  it very often makes me sick to my stomach that our fair city of houston has to jump through all forms bullshit hoops just to try and land a W brand.  we have very recently tried DESPERATELY to land one downtown at the GEORGE R. BROWN (and even this one fell through).  JUST WHAT ON EARTH IS THE HUGE PROBLEM WITH HOUSTON ACQUIRING A W BRAND HOTEL... all the while, all of the other major cities across the globe are getting them (or already have them)?  WHY ON EARTH DO THEY JUST KEEP SNUBBING HOUSTON?  it is highly embarrassing when my good friends from out of town ask me about our W HOTEL... and i have to state to them that "we do not have on yet" and then hear them gasp and say "WHAT, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING"!    

Atlanta has 3 (Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead) and (I think) used to have 4.

New Orleans used to have 2, now only has 1.  

Several have closed in NYC and have been rebranded.

I have no dog in this hunt . . . I know plenty of people like W Hotels, but it doesn't seem to me to be a growth brand anymore, at least domestically.  I guess Philly and Nashville are getting one.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

It's where an old post office now sits.  I hope the US got a good price for the site. It's walkable to Sam's club and Walmart, a few blocks from the Galleria  and  a chipotle and Mod pizza in the strip mall on Richmond.  I would consider this a really off location for a place that is associated with Buzz.  Maybe that's the problem with the 

brand and which sells nostalgia to middle aged people and is a few stages removed from the energy and creativity of rock n roll.

It has one real thing going for it; it is walkable to Bubba's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, gclass said:

w_hotel_image_4.jpg

al-habtoor-city.jpg

W-Hotels-Logo.png

@iah77 perhaps the REAL QUERY that you should be presenting is... WHY DOESN'T HOUSTON, THE 4th LARGEST CITY IN THE USA... HAVE ONE YET?  (dallas has one, atlanta has two, austin has one, and so on) please feast your eyes upon the above illustrations that i have showcased.  i have harbored the utmost pleasure of vacationing at both of these W HOTEL pleasure palaces in dubai, uae, while i was working abroad in afghanistan.  high-end style, sophistication, supreme service, foremost amenities, spectacular design, location, ultra-posh, and comfort, are just a few of the primary reasons that i often opt to vacay/stay at a W HOTEL brand.  it very often makes me sick to my stomach that our fair city of houston has to jump through all forms bullshit hoops just to try and land a W brand.  we have very recently tried DESPERATELY to land one downtown at the GEORGE R. BROWN (and even this one fell through).  JUST WHAT ON EARTH IS THE HUGE PROBLEM WITH HOUSTON ACQUIRING A W BRAND HOTEL... all the while, all of the other major cities across the globe are getting them (or already have them)?  WHY ON EARTH DO THEY JUST KEEP SNUBBING HOUSTON?  it is highly embarrassing when my good friends from out of town ask me about our W HOTEL... and i have to state to them that "we do not have on yet" and then hear them gasp and say "WHAT, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING"!    

City council was supposed to vote on the W Hotel downtown after Houston First approved. What ever happened to that? Did city council vote yet? Do I need to call Houston First?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gclass said:

w_hotel_image_4.jpg

al-habtoor-city.jpg

W-Hotels-Logo.png

@iah77 perhaps the REAL QUERY that you should be presenting is... WHY DOESN'T HOUSTON, THE 4th LARGEST CITY IN THE USA... HAVE ONE YET?  (dallas has one, atlanta has two, austin has one, and so on) please feast your eyes upon the above illustrations that i have showcased.  i have harbored the utmost pleasure of vacationing at both of these W HOTEL pleasure palaces in dubai, uae, while i was working abroad in afghanistan.  high-end style, sophistication, supreme service, foremost amenities, spectacular design, location, ultra-posh, and comfort, are just a few of the primary reasons that i often opt to vacay/stay at a W HOTEL brand.  it very often makes me sick to my stomach that our fair city of houston has to jump through all forms bullshit hoops just to try and land a W brand.  we have very recently tried DESPERATELY to land one downtown at the GEORGE R. BROWN (and even this one fell through).  JUST WHAT ON EARTH IS THE HUGE PROBLEM WITH HOUSTON ACQUIRING A W BRAND HOTEL... all the while, all of the other major cities across the globe are getting them (or already have them)?  WHY ON EARTH DO THEY JUST KEEP SNUBBING HOUSTON?  it is highly embarrassing when my good friends from out of town ask me about our W HOTEL... and i have to state to them that "we do not have on yet" and then hear them gasp and say "WHAT, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING"!    

LOL, the W in Habtoor City (your second pic) literally lasted only maybe  a year opening early 2017 and closed down over a year ago early 2018 and was re-branded as a Hilton...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kbates2 said:

It has one real thing going for it; it is walkable to Bubba's.

haha! that place better never close...while i do not go there often, i do love that it exists!!! 🍔🙃

• Like 2