X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it my imagination, or are there tower crane sections in that one photo?

37 minutes ago, hindesky said:

A neighbor showed up and said they tried to buy the little property behind this filled with junk, it belongs to Mrs Boone and she wouldn't sell it. He said she wants to build a bicycle museum there.

Now that's the kind of Montrose I'm used to!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toxtethogrady said:

Is it my imagination, or are there tower crane sections in that one photo?

Now that's the kind of Montrose I'm used to!

Those red things are a part of the housing that hold the drilling apparatus. Similar to this....

pJwCTza.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amlaham said:

Jeez that parking podium is soooo offensive

I feel like it will look better when built, but also it seems to only have changed when the variance was denied so its a bit of reaping what we sow.

The development in the museum district is starting to be 👀. With Boone and the X going up, and the rents they do and prolly will charge, really need a cocktail bar and some kind of retail. Feel like a Lulu store would do real well with the crowd 😂

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Jeez that parking podium is soooo offensive

Yeah. It’s ugly—unfortunately, the Livable Places ordinance won’t come in time to make the levels be covered. The one positive I can find is that the parking podium at least looks like it’s designed with flat levels that can be repurposed down the line.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Yeah. It’s ugly—unfortunately, the Livable Places ordinance won’t come in time to make the levels be covered. The one positive I can find is that the parking podium at least looks like it’s designed with flat levels that can be repurposed down the line.

How would the garage look different under the livable places ordinance?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

The whole thing is offensive. Mercer of the next generation.

I actually don't dislike it. At all. 

Their dusk rendering shows some interesting lighting wrapping the amenities section between the garage and the residences. I think that, if they don't cheap out and invest in some lighting, it will look decent.

Too much modern construction seems to put too little thought into modern lighting. But then, I'm a bit of a fan of the throbbing RGB lighting that seems to cover so many tall buildings in China's dystopian cyberpunk cities.

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ i for one, am going to LOVE this new "X-HOUSTON" development.  even with my provided COOL BLACK SHADES... i can truly see just what their architects/designers are trying in earnest to provide for the houston market... MODERN ECLECTIC EPITOME OF COOL.  as you may recall, this prospective development shall be constructed in an area with a modern day ($485mm) newly built MUSEUM OF MODERN ART... that actually resembles a white YETI COOLER.  every time that i go near this particular museum, i always feel that i need to bring along one of my coolest cardigans.  (it just seems like it's going to be soooo COLD in there)  oh, yes.  i have definitely scoped out many of the X-projects constructed or planned across this nation.  always seemingly original... always standing out within their respective communities... always eclectic cool... always commanding attention... always extremely stylish/sophisticated... always seemingly magnificent.  nonetheless, HAIF provides an open-forum for all patrons alike.  therefore, i openly share-in and appreciate everyone's opinions and thought-minded contributions.  however, we all share in the direct knowledge that houston is a city without the standard ZONING ordinances that many GATEWAY cities share in.  therefore, i find it really difficult to see just what is soooo very "OFFENSIVE" regarding the illustrated design of this particular prospective edifice?  this particular project is being developed just steps away from our DARLING MONTROSE... one of the most ECLECTIC MODERN/CONTEMPORARY COOLEST SOPHISTICATED GENTRIFIED HIP communities within the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  surely, many of you have come to realize that the architects/designers of this particular houston X-project took all of these attributes into mind during the design of this structure... right?  it sure looks like that way to me... and i am no architect.  upon my view, it just seems that the proposed X-HOUSTON project is going to fit just nicely where it's designated.  actually, i'm counting on it...

spacer.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, monarch said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

^^^ i for one, am going to LOVE this new "X-HOUSTON" development.  even with my provided COOL BLACK SHADES... i can truly see just what their architects/designers are trying in earnest to provide for the houston market... MODERN ECLECTIC EPITOME OF COOL.  as you may recall, this prospective development shall be constructed in an area with a modern day ($485mm) newly built MUSEUM OF MODERN ART... that actually resembles a white YETI COOLER.  every time that i go near this particular museum, i always feel that i need to bring along one of my coolest cardigans.  (it just seems like it's going to be soooo COLD in there)  oh, yes.  i have definitely scoped out many of the X-projects constructed or planned across this nation.  always seemingly original... always standing out within their respective communities... always eclectic cool... always commanding attention... always extremely stylish/sophisticated... always seemingly magnificent.  nonetheless, HAIF provides an open-forum for all patrons alike.  therefore, i openly share-in and appreciate everyone's opinions and thought-minded contributions.  however, we all share in the direct knowledge that houston is a city without the standard ZONING ordinances that many GATEWAY cities share in.  therefore, i find it really difficult to see just what is soooo very "OFFENSIVE" regarding the illustrated design of this particular prospective edifice?  this particular project is being developed just steps away from our DARLING MONTROSE... one of the most ECLECTIC MODERN/CONTEMPORARY COOLEST SOPHISTICATED GENTRIFIED HIP communities within the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  surely, many of you have come to realize that the architects/designers of this particular houston X-project took all of these attributes into mind during the design of this structure... right?  it sure looks like that way to me... and i am no architect.  upon my view, it just seems that the proposed X-HOUSTON project is going to fit just nicely where it's designated.  actually, i'm counting on it...

spacer.png

Not true, if there wasn't a parking minimum, their design would have been completely different. Since you've scoped out the other X projects in the nation, you probably already knew only ours and Tampa's building have exposed garage podium. Im not completely against exposed garage podiums, but 10 floors of just concrete? Idk how thats seen as "eclectic." It's obvious most of us are in favor of this project, the only draw back some of us have is the 10 floors of just cement. The building RIGHT in front of it is going to have a view of.... a garage. The buildings near it... again just a cement garage. What would have been eclectic is if they decided to paint it completely with some kind of artwork, put some interesting light feature, or cover it up with literally ANYTHING. Just my opinion 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Not true, if there wasn't a parking minimum, their design would have been completely different. Since you've scoped out the other X projects in the nation, you probably already knew only ours and Tampa's building have exposed garage podium. 

I can see no reason to think Houston’s parking minimums caused this design or even contributed to it.  I think the exposed garage design is awful and harmful to the community and I’m glad to hear we’re moving in the direction of regulating that. 

Edited by Houston19514

24 minutes ago, Paco Jones said:

A parking garage will either be designed as “open” or “enclosed”. 

An open parking garage has a minimum required amount of open area to qualify for natural ventilation. Even if you put a perforated metal screen or other type of cover over the openings, the free area ratio of the screen must be multiplied by the area of the opening to determine the actual free area. 

An enclosed garage option is going to be a significant additional cost of millions of dollars when compared to that of an open-air design. Closed parking garages require mechanical ventilation and also fire sprinkler protection. Also, fire separation code applies differently to enclosed vs open. A closed garage has more stringent requirements for the fire rating of the exterior wall assemblies, where as an open garage does not. These added costs are also accompanied by the design and engineering costs of the exterior garage skin. 

So, it’s not impossible to achieve a desirable looking parking garage, it’s just so expensive (to construct and maintain) that in most cases it doesn’t make sense.  Some developers and design teams do a better job at dressing them up than others.

I hope this information adds value to the discussion and perhaps opens additional dialogue. 

^^^ @Paco Jones dude, my pal, is there a reason that this particular development went from an initial proposal of (722 units) down to the now proposed (475 units)?  the current overall design does not seem to be enhanced from the original design per the renders/concepts.  therefore, are the units going to be larger per se?  would love to know as well as comprehend the reasoning here on the units if possible... 

13 minutes ago, Paco Jones said:

A parking garage will either be designed as “open” or “enclosed”. 

An open parking garage has a minimum required amount of open area to qualify for natural ventilation. Even if you put a perforated metal screen or other type of cover over the openings, the free area ratio of the screen must be multiplied by the area of the opening to determine the actual free area. 

An enclosed garage option is going to be a significant additional cost of millions of dollars when compared to that of an open-air design. Closed parking garages require mechanical ventilation and also fire sprinkler protection. Also, fire separation code applies differently to enclosed vs open. A closed garage has more stringent requirements for the fire rating of the exterior wall assemblies, where as an open garage does not. These added costs are also accompanied by the design and engineering costs of the exterior garage skin. 

So, it’s not impossible to achieve a desirable looking parking garage, it’s just so expensive (to construct and maintain) that in most cases it doesn’t make sense.  Some developers and design teams do a better job at dressing them up than others.

I hope this information adds value to the discussion and perhaps opens additional dialogue. 

I appreciate the clarification on the technical distinctions.

I think there’s a gap between technical terminology and colloquial terms. I think most of the discussion here is geared toward sheathing rather than a fully enclosed garage that requires mechanical ventilation. To my knowledge, Lyric Garage downtown does not have mechanical ventilation but looks excellent. 

Closer to this site, contrast this garage with the Southmore. I think the upper portions of this building are much more interesting than the residential portion of the Southmore. However, the “fully open” design of this garage detracts from the more interesting elements of the amenity decks (those look really nice and I dig the lighting features) and the upper part of the building above that.

• Like 3