X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

Not too shabby, overall everything looks pretty good besides the garage. I like the communal feeling you get from the above garage lobby. Definitely going for the younger crowds with this one, especially recent college grads. 

I'm counting around 33 floors on this building (23 for the living portion), it's going to have a pretty sizable presence in this area. In the end I like the residential part, it gives off a pretty energetic vibe, although the garage section might grow on me. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 3

X-400.png

^^^ holy mother of GOD... i am stunned!  i am finding it somewhat difficult to PULL my eyes away from the middle section of the THREE FULL LEVELS OF GLASS outlined by neon-like LED LIGHTING.  this particular design element in itself... shall make this place an instant tourist attraction.  whomever, is spearheading the efforts of getting the X constructed in houston, must really appreciate our wonderful and fair city.  we are just not accustomed to such magnificent and totally original design elements... regarding prospective condominiums/apartments/hotels etc..   actually, in my view... this particular design of the parking garage (placed right in the middle of the glass levels) looks clean, precise, and ultra modern.  it seems to make the overall edifice seem less stuffy and more open to the general public ( sort of like a downtown parking garage).  i don't rightly know if i have ever witnessed a more hip, totally cool, clean, fun, and modern design before. (definitely not in our fair city)  this place reeks of youth and momentum.  i find it amazing that it's an X... when in fact, it looks like a W...       

• Like 4

The top of this building is beautiful but the parking podium is hideous.  The architects haven't tried to disguise it at all.  The most beautiful skyscrapers in Texas have cladding that makes it impossible to distinguish where the parking podium ends and the intended function of the tower begins.  Austin's Indeed Tower does an outstanding job with this: Indeed Tower under construction in Austin

Edited by Geographer
  • Like 3

It's okay, if we're being honest I don't care for that kind of drab square cladding for residential towers. It's cold and plain yet at the same time not minimalistic and kind of busy.

But hey, its a tower, and its happening during these times so good to me.

• Like 1

722 units would be a lot for a building like that, unless they are really packing them in? That figure reminds me of student housing developments in Austin's West Campus. College Station also has a couple monster-sized apartment buildings with +1,000 plus 'beds'.

Common sense says bedrooms, not units.

• Like 2

So did the design change that much because of the denied variance? If compared to what they put out earlier, it looks muuuuuch different. Or were the initial renderings just that, and now its been value designed? If you guys check page one of the thread, the proposed stuff hides the podium and has waaaay more windows.

The X people did say that if the variances were denied, they would have to make several changes and concessions. I want to go to the neighborhood meeting just to see the smoke come out of people's ears because they thought they defeated this thing. The oncoming covid and oil related issues may still kill it, if anyone is holding out for this not to be built. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

I am picking up what most of y'all are laying down. (However I might like the Houston House as an observer and non-habitue.) 

But I guess I feel like I'm less enchanted with the facade than I am un-enchanted with the garage. 

Is that more (much more) garage than is necessary to conform with regs? Or are they just doing all that garage for the hell of it? 

Edited by EllenOlenska
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I am picking up what most of y'all are laying down. (However I might like the Houston House as an observer and non-habitue.) 

But I guess I feel like I'm less enchanted with the facade than I am un-enchanted with the garage. 

Is that more (much more) garage than is necessary to conform with regs? Or are they just doing all that garage for the hell of it? 

If they could get away with less garage, they probably would try it. However I have no doubt that the complete non-attempt at making this garage appealing was on purpose to spite the neighborhood.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, X.R. said:

Completion date 9/15/2022 sounds a bit soon doesn't it? For a 33 story building on land that has yet really show any movement...

I cannot believe this is still moving forward with that design 😀

they aren’t permitted yet and have only been through one round of comments, so I think it’ll be late fall ground breaking, at earliest. 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, HNathoo said:

https://xliving.co/communities/x-houston/

MUSEUM DISTRICT, HOUSTON
5501 La Branch St.
OPENING SPRING 2022
722 BEDS

Live the high (rise) life at X Houston. Located in the cultural epicenter of Houston; the Museum District, X Houston is just a short bike ride from Hermann Park.

The elevated amenity club at X sets the bar for lifestyle, luxury, and learning with three stories featuring a full-service fitness center, dedicated co-working and creative space, and a stunning pool deck with food and drinks on site.

With all of these amenities under one roof, X Houston is set to be the city’s next destination location.

X Houston Front.jpg

X Houston Pool.jpg

X Houston Gym.jpg

The link is now dead. I wonder if this one died with the market/COVID along with the protesting neighbors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• The title was changed to X Houston: Proposed Residential High-Rise For The Museum District At 5501 La Branch
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...