X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

I got to say, I'm okay with the garage if only for the obvious vengeance aspect. Maybe the community will think twice about opposing variances in the future. It never stops a project like this to oppose variances, just makes it taller and more obnoxious.

• Like 5

On 5/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, houstontexasjack said:

I appreciate the clarification on the technical distinctions.

I think there’s a gap between technical terminology and colloquial terms. I think most of the discussion here is geared toward sheathing rather than a fully enclosed garage that requires mechanical ventilation. To my knowledge, Lyric Garage downtown does not have mechanical ventilation but looks excellent. 

Closer to this site, contrast this garage with the Southmore. I think the upper portions of this building are much more interesting than the residential portion of the Southmore. However, the “fully open” design of this garage detracts from the more interesting elements of the amenity decks (those look really nice and I dig the lighting features) and the upper part of the building above that.

Even closer, contrast it with the Boone Manor project. The garage portion on the Oakdale was going to be only partially sheathed and after some conversations they went ahead and did the whole thing (very neighborly of them, tbh, given the increased costs from supply chain cost increases). In their case, I think the sheathing actually helped the upper portions of the building. That is only 5 stories of garage, however. 

Both Boone and Southmore, Boone to a greater extent in my opinion, did really well with the landscaping, which offset the podium from a pedestrian point of view. To me, that is a practical element we are overlooking, which is that if the landscaping and street design is thoughtful and extensive then it takes a bit off the brutalist nature of the garage. Of course, alot of that is subject to budget moreso than other portions of the building, so we won't know what it'll be like for a while.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, monarch said:

^^^ @Paco Jones dude, my pal, is there a reason that this particular development went from an initial proposal of (722 units) down to the now proposed (475 units)?  the current overall design does not seem to be enhanced from the original design per the renders/concepts.  therefore, are the units going to be larger per se?  would love to know as well as comprehend the reasoning here on the units if possible... 

I don't know much about the initial proposed design or unit matrix, but I am thinking that the 775 number must have been bedrooms and not total units.  The 475 units has a total of 646 beds, which is 25 units and 34 beds per floor. Using that as a reference, there would need to be an additional 4 floors of residential to get past the 775 bed number.  I will say that the unit sizes average around 500 SF per bedroom.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Even closer, contrast it with the Boone Manor project. The garage portion on the Oakdale was going to be only partially sheathed and after some conversations they went ahead and did the whole thing (very neighborly of them, tbh, given the increased costs from supply chain cost increases). In their case, I think the sheathing actually helped the upper portions of the building. That is only 5 stories of garage, however. 

Both Boone and Southmore, Boone to a greater extent in my opinion, did really well with the landscaping, which offset the podium from a pedestrian point of view. To me, that is a practical element we are overlooking, which is that if the landscaping and street design is thoughtful and extensive then it takes a bit off the brutalist nature of the garage. Of course, alot of that is subject to budget moreso than other portions of the building, so we won't know what it'll be like for a while.

Well said, but there is more to be considered than just the street level.  We also should consider what it looks like from the neighboring buildings. Townhouses across the street (existing and future/potential). Perhaps a potential condo building across the street.  I know I would not purchase a residence across the street from a completely open/unscreened parking garage as rendered here, no matter how well the landscaping is done.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

^^^ i am really excited about this prospective X-HOUSTON development.  when all is hereby said and done, this is going to become one of the coolest developments in houston.  not to mention, the burgeoning neighborhood that it shall reside in is going to prosper as well.  H-TOWN is definitely on the verge...

• Like 2

@hindeskyPower line coming down and getting buried, or its just going to get re-routed? I know centerpoint told Boone Manor a crazy number to bury the power lines.

I have two commercial/residential real estate buddies who are still...skeptical that this is happening. Its very weird. I'm like, yo its gonna be 40-something floors high and both go on rants about the Caydon project and the Travis' profitability. 

• Like 2

Worker told me re-routed to Crawford St.

2 minutes ago, X.R. said:

@hindeskyPower line coming down and getting buried, or its just going to get re-routed? I know centerpoint told Boone Manor a crazy number to bury the power lines.

I have two commercial/residential real estate buddies who are still...skeptical that this is happening. Its very weird. I'm like, yo its gonna be 40-something floors high and both go on rants about the Caydon project and the Travis' profitability. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

^^^ i have REALLY been awaiting this awesome development to begin.  IMO, this particular project is going to not only change this very quiet and somewhat stoic area, but add a very significant modern eclectic spark and rejuvenation to the overall MUSEUM DISTRICT.  X MARKS THE SPOT! 

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, monarch said:

spacer.png

^^^ i have REALLY been awaiting this awesome development to begin.  IMO, this particular project is going to not only change this very quiet and somewhat stoic area, but add a very significant modern eclectic spark and rejuvenation to the overall MUSEUM DISTRICT.  X MARKS THE SPOT! 

I really like the "natural" progression of densities in this area. 

• Like 1