Hi! Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time. Any news on tenants taking up residence? It seems like a lot of developments in the area are starting up and then subsequently falling through over here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ljchou said:

Hi! Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time. Any news on tenants taking up residence? It seems like a lot of developments in the area are starting up and then subsequently falling through over here.

Are you referring to the small white office building on the northeast corner of York and Harrisburg? If so, I agree, it is super disappointing that it hasn’t been leased out yet, they did a good job on the renovations and it seems to be a very appealing building.

My only guess is that it’s because there is an abundance of people loitering in the area due to both the light rail stop and the New Hope Housing facility a block or so away. I use that light rail station frequently and drive through the area regularly as well, and regardless of the time of day or night there are people just aimlessly standing around, sitting under door awnings, etc. 

It definitely discourages pedestrian traffic, and I’m afraid that it’s at least been a factor in some developers second guessing projects in the immediate area (such as the proposed project to redo the Rey building at Milby into a retail development). Hopefully the Kaldis redo of the Cameron Iron Works building, inevitable reworking of the coffee plant, and the residential developments that will follow help the area turn the corner, because it has a lot of potential. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

This is awesome. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

Why would a restaurant/bar need an SEC form?

They really need to claw back some sidewalk from the street parking. That's my one real issue with the green line- it seriously messed up the sidewalks on Harrisburg.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

They really need to claw back some sidewalk from the street parking. That's my one real issue with the green line- it seriously messed up the sidewalks on Harrisburg.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. They just redid the vast majority of the sidewalks in this part of the East End, starting in 2013, by adding new ramps and insets with the East End Management District logo and street name. I doubt they will look at reconfiguring them any time soon.

I'm curious about the adjacent parking lot.  They recently improved it by cleaning it up,  removing the flagpole,  and actually adding more spaces there.