Hi! Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time. Any news on tenants taking up residence? It seems like a lot of developments in the area are starting up and then subsequently falling through over here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ljchou said:

Hi! Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time. Any news on tenants taking up residence? It seems like a lot of developments in the area are starting up and then subsequently falling through over here.

Are you referring to the small white office building on the northeast corner of York and Harrisburg? If so, I agree, it is super disappointing that it hasn’t been leased out yet, they did a good job on the renovations and it seems to be a very appealing building.

My only guess is that it’s because there is an abundance of people loitering in the area due to both the light rail stop and the New Hope Housing facility a block or so away. I use that light rail station frequently and drive through the area regularly as well, and regardless of the time of day or night there are people just aimlessly standing around, sitting under door awnings, etc. 

It definitely discourages pedestrian traffic, and I’m afraid that it’s at least been a factor in some developers second guessing projects in the immediate area (such as the proposed project to redo the Rey building at Milby into a retail development). Hopefully the Kaldis redo of the Cameron Iron Works building, inevitable reworking of the coffee plant, and the residential developments that will follow help the area turn the corner, because it has a lot of potential. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, ljchou said:

Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time

It's 3501 Harrisburg Blvd & 3509 Harrisburg Blvd.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

3501 Harrisburg Blvd in Second Ward, Houston.

XUmyXQo.jpg

joojg7l.jpg

Photo from a brochure when the lot at 3501 Harrisburg Blvd was on the market. This is from Heins Properties in 2015. The building was R.B.W. Electric and R.B.W. Inc. Truck Parts

yyloXuS.jpg

Old Loopnet listings:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19469444/3501-Harrisburg-Blvd-Houston-TX/ (archive link)
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3501-Harrisburg-Blvd-Houston-TX/13335418/ (archive link)

Gross Leasable Area: 7,400 SF
Property Sub-type: Storefront
Year Built: 1946

The property could be used for a variety of businesses such as a restaurant, bar, coffee shop, brewery, office, or art gallery. The owner has replaced the roof, replaced/repaired interior and exterior walls, brought in a new electrical service and will be resurfacing of parking area and adding new water/wastewater taps. This will all be done while preserving the original 1940s look and feel of the building.

This building is situated in the growing EaDo section of Houston and is located adjacent to the Coffee Plant/Second Ward, Green Line METRORail stop on the northeast corner of Harrisburg Blvd. and York St.

Posted (edited)

Google Street View of 3501 Harrisburg Blvd in Second Ward, Houston; captured October and December 2018.

CT3LJN6.jpg

OOAY55i.jpg

cYvIhdb.jpg

giCt1WW.jpg

mgT3Euq.jpg

G5KQP2p.jpg

Google Street View of 3509 Harrisburg Blvd in Second Ward, Houston

Fzch2Nd.jpg

TvECoDP.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Platform Group purchased and rehabbed the building at 3501 Harrisburg Blvd in Second Ward, Houston. 

From their website:

http://platformgroup.com/project/3501-harrisburg-boulevard/ (archive link)

Project Type: Retail & Office

Location: 3501 Harrisburg Boulevard & 3509 Harrisburg Boulevard

Platform Group: Owner, Development, Leasing, Property Management

At the corner of Harrisburg Boulevard and York Street is 3501 Harrisburg, a 7,200 sf adaptive reuse development in the East End neighborhood of Houston. Newly constructed parking and landscaping support the existing single-story historic masonry building. Platform also owns the adjacent 3509 Harrisburg. The combined parcels occupy the entire 210-foot block face directly across from the Coffee Plant Metro Light Rail stop.

thnJT2c.jpg

SV7CNsT.jpg

p0ffkEg.jpg

zWKrBjp.jpg

vyDkgMA.jpg

Interior:

6jat0wE.jpg

Ijx3iOP.jpg

• Like 2

Site plan of the rehabbed building at 3501 Harrisburg Blvd in Second Ward, Houston. 

From the leasing brochure:
http://platformgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/LeasingFlyer_3501-Harrisburg-1.pdf (archive link)

Site Plan

Situated at the intersection of Harrisburg Boulevard and York Street, the site features a new parking lot, perimeter fence, and landscaping. The adjacent lot at 3509 Harrisburg is also owned by Platform and can be used for potential overflow parking based on tenant.

Parking

18 on-site, shared parking spaces; potential overflow parking at 3509 Harrisburg for ~40 cars

Floor Plan

The building can be occupied by a single tenant or is easily divisible into two spaces. There are two doors along Harrisburg, two back doors from the parking lot, and one loading door.

~7,200 rentable square feet

Divisible into two suites between 2,880- 4,320 sf each

Features

Loading door

~12' floor to ceiling

~11' clear height

XwARq1e.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, ljchou said:

Any news on tenants taking up residence?

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

This is awesome. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Why would a restaurant/bar need an SEC form?

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

This is awesome. Thanks!

You're welcome.

1 minute ago, Houston19514 said:

Why would a restaurant/bar need an SEC form?

Probably because they're going to raise capital from the public through crowdfunding efforts.

• Like 1

They really need to claw back some sidewalk from the street parking. That's my one real issue with the green line- it seriously messed up the sidewalks on Harrisburg.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

They really need to claw back some sidewalk from the street parking. That's my one real issue with the green line- it seriously messed up the sidewalks on Harrisburg.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. They just redid the vast majority of the sidewalks in this part of the East End, starting in 2013, by adding new ramps and insets with the East End Management District logo and street name. I doubt they will look at reconfiguring them any time soon.