Adaptive Reuse Development - 3501 Harrisburg Blvd.

19 hours ago, ljchou said:

Hi! Noticed that 3509 Harrisburg has been vacant for some time. Any news on tenants taking up residence? It seems like a lot of developments in the area are starting up and then subsequently falling through over here.

Are you referring to the small white office building on the northeast corner of York and Harrisburg? If so, I agree, it is super disappointing that it hasn’t been leased out yet, they did a good job on the renovations and it seems to be a very appealing building.

My only guess is that it’s because there is an abundance of people loitering in the area due to both the light rail stop and the New Hope Housing facility a block or so away. I use that light rail station frequently and drive through the area regularly as well, and regardless of the time of day or night there are people just aimlessly standing around, sitting under door awnings, etc. 

It definitely discourages pedestrian traffic, and I’m afraid that it’s at least been a factor in some developers second guessing projects in the immediate area (such as the proposed project to redo the Rey building at Milby into a retail development). Hopefully the Kaldis redo of the Cameron Iron Works building, inevitable reworking of the coffee plant, and the residential developments that will follow help the area turn the corner, because it has a lot of potential. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

This is awesome. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I saw a Securities and Exchange Commission ( SEC ) form for a restaurant / bar with the address 3501 Harrisburg Blvd. This is the building in the Second Ward (East End), Houston. 

The name of the restaurant / bar is Night Shift. It's from Logan Beck of Rootlab and coffee shop Giant Leap Coffee in the East End.

Why would a restaurant/bar need an SEC form?

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

They really need to claw back some sidewalk from the street parking. That's my one real issue with the green line- it seriously messed up the sidewalks on Harrisburg.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. They just redid the vast majority of the sidewalks in this part of the East End, starting in 2013, by adding new ramps and insets with the East End Management District logo and street name. I doubt they will look at reconfiguring them any time soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Apparently Ronin will occupy the majority of this space as an event venue. Curious how this will work with the Night Shift bar group. Looks like they'll be the exclusive provider of catering and cocktails, but hopefully Night Shift will maintain a standalone bar.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/ronin-harrisburg#top-things-to-know

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

Ronin confirmed they + Night Shift bar will be two separate entities. Great add to the area, especially with night + weekend rentals. Hopefully this will bring some life to the area after dark.

It's a little buzzy with the wine bar and beer place 2 blocks catty corner.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

It's a little buzzy with the wine bar and beer place 2 blocks catty corner.

Not to mention VooDoo Queen right around the corner, Giant Leap's planned move to adjacent to How to Survive on Land and Sea and the industrial warehouse space on Milby just south of Harrisburg. There's a cool district forming before our eyes and it's kind of awesome.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, linearmovement said:

Not to mention VooDoo Queen right around the corner, Giant Leap's planned move to adjacent to How to Survive on Land and Sea and the industrial warehouse space on Milby just south of Harrisburg. There's a cool district forming before our eyes and it's kind of awesome.

Agreed. As a lush, being able to walk to these watering holes is superb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahawk said:

I do hope for a bar with a couple good screens for sports. Sigma will throw a game on their projector on the weekends, but a little sports bar would be really nice. 

I bet East End Backyard will have something sports-related. Same owner as Pitch25 who's making $$$$$ capitalizing off of sports events.

Edited by ljchou

Personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. Pitch 25 doesn't really have an identity. I say this because it's supposed to be a soccer bar? But it doesn't show the English Premier League matches, or any soccer matches, unless you specifically ask to put the matches on, and don't even think about getting game sound. Anytime I've been there it seems like a street market has opened up in the outside portion??

The space is HUGE. It always feels really empty, or really crowded. And it's only really crowded when the Champions League Finale is on, or the World Cup matches are being played. It really feels like it should be 2 separate bars instead of one large bar. I've never seen the indoor soccer area being used for anything outside of yoga, or lounging. So I don't really understand the point of it. It should be open play I would think whenever leagues aren't going on. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 11:39 AM, wilcal said:

FWIW, I heard Pitch25 is doing "ok" at best. It's a huuuuge space and it's not filling enough. 

Interesting. I stumbled across their monthly liquor profits on https://data.texas.gov/Government-and-Taxes/Liquor-Sales/ and they were substantially more than other venues in the area.I may be misinterpreting the data provided, as well.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went by Night Shift last night and was really impressed. Service was really good and the drinks were really good.

I think cocktails were fairly priced at $10-$12ish. The frozen drink Saturn (I think?) is passion fruit-based and delicious.

They have a pretty limited food menu, but the churros for $7 were great. 

Manager said that their rooftop deck will be opening very soon. Business has been pretty brisk and they are really committed to being open until 2am 7 nights/week. Their menu mentioned that Sat/Sun brunch is coming. 

• Like 5