Velvet Taco At 2626 West Loop S.

Front Burner also has Legacy Hall (Extremely popular food hall in Plano) in their portfolio. What if, in keeping with current trends, this becomes a food hall-for Uptown Houston! The Finn Hall of the west side. That would definitely correlate with this area’s upscale retail and restaurant mix. Great location with freeway and street presence. Just speculating and wishful thinking but that would be amazing considering the Galleria’s new eateries are on the pricey side (see: Nobu) and nearby River Oaks District has the same pricey restaurants. This could be where the new trendy, local, smaller restaurants thrive. Heres to hoping. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can hope it’s more than just a Twin Peaks!  That said, at what point do we over saturate the market demand for food halls?

Ideally the site would eventually become home to a nice mixed use high rise (or two - including Dillard’s).  Sadly I think that the market for something like that is unlikely at this time.

Dillard’s is still on that sweetheart Joske’s ground lease that was signed waaay back in the day. I don’t think that lease is up for almost another 40 years or so.

The Midtown Sears was similarly on a ground lease, which wasn’t bought out until Sears went into bankruptcy.

Money talks.  No reason a developer couldn’t incorporate the Dillard’s into a high rise tower - Water Tower Place in Chicago is one example.  It would make sense for the Galleria to expand east and tie into Dillard’s in some capacity here in the future.

I remember driving through there relatively recently, earlier this year, and remember the storefront still being occupied. From what I've been told, the ZDE started out as a Roy Rogers and was later a head shop after its time as a food establishment. It was ZDE by 2003 IIRC.

The Allen, Bayou Place, East River.....childs play

Twin Peaks is coming to Post Oak? Put that on "Going Up"!

Get it! Its in "Going Up" because its Twin "Peaks". Double the fun!

23 hours ago, IronTiger said:

I remember driving through there relatively recently, earlier this year, and remember the storefront still being occupied. From what I've been told, the ZDE started out as a Roy Rogers and was later a head shop after its time as a food establishment. It was ZDE by 2003 IIRC.

It was also a Luke's Hamburgers sometime between Roy Rogers and head shop. 

6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

The property owners of  Zone D'erotica lingerie and adult store next to the Galleria in Houston, 2626 West Loop South ( 2626 W Loop S ) was East Bay Inc.

Deed of Trust shows East Bay Inc sold the property to 2626 W Loop South Realty LLC. 

It is connected to Front Burner Group Dining ( Front Burner Restaurants ), operators of Twin Peaks, Sixty Vines, Velvet Taco and more.

This is pretty much exactly what I said earlier. But the document is a Warranty Deed, not the Deed of Trust, which is between a buyer and their mortgage lender.

• The title was changed to 610 at Westheimer, Shell Gas Station and former Zone D'Erotica
19 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes. I know it is. I saw you connected the group to the purchase of the land. That's why I quoted you (Thanks for finding that originally and sharing).

But what wasn't in your post was the name of the entity and other restaurants of theirs besides Twin Peaks. I posted that bit because the conversations were about Twin Peaks, jokingly I know. But I posted that to 1) show they run more than Twin Peaks and it will not be a Twin Peaks and 2) so the entity and its restaurants appear in the search on the forum and on Google. 

Also as I posted above, there are other restaurants it could be. One being the one Houston Chronicle reported and the other directly connected to this property, listed under the entity name. Which goes back again to why I posted the entity name. You know good and well Reddit, news stations, CultureMap, Houston Business Journal and Eater scroll this forum for posts to report as their exclusives. 

But Crocky, if you had read the post I wrote last Thursday at 10:52 AM, you would have seen that I DID point out that they run other restaurants besides Twin Peaks:

"Also I should mention that the same company that does Twin Peaks (Front Burner Restaurants) has some other restaurant concepts such as Whiskey Cake, so it could be one of those, but my bet for freeway frontage is Twin Peaks. "

I also saw the various other restaurants that you mentioned but did not list them all in my post since most of them are single-location concepts. And I didn't post the entity name because it's just the address with an "LLC" at the end and doesn't tell us anything. I will say it was interesting the Chronicle piece you dug up about Velvet Taco coming to the Galleria area. That part of your post was new information.

13 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

robert downey jr sigh GIF

Yes. I know it is. I saw you connected the group to the purchase of the land. That's why I quoted you (Thanks for finding that originally and sharing).

But what wasn't in your post was the name of the entity and other restaurants of theirs besides Twin Peaks. I posted that bit because the conversations were about Twin Peaks, jokingly I know. But I posted that to 1) show they run more than Twin Peaks and it will not be a Twin Peaks and 2) so the entity and its restaurants appear in the search on the forum and on Google. 

Also as I posted above, there are other restaurants it could be. One being the one Houston Chronicle reported and the other directly connected to this property, listed under the entity name. Which goes back again to why I posted the entity name. You know good and well Reddit, news stations, CultureMap, Houston Business Journal and Eater scroll this forum for posts to report as their exclusives. 

Something tells me that no one would've mentioned it as a Roy Rogers until I brought it up in this thread. It's all an example of what is dubbed by others as "information laundering", where the news media will pick up things on Internet forums and Twitter feeds, true or not, and report it, making it "legitimate" in the process.

Y'all hush it! haha!

It's all love here!

and hey i can almost GUARANTEE that this will indeed be the Velvet Taco location as i had read multiple reports of Velvet Taco coming to Uptown including here....and when i spoke to Velvet Taco staff one time on Westheimer, they laughed about knocking down some place that needed to be knocked down....so.................... 😮

BUT i will admit...i was excited to have a Twin Peaks walking distance for sport events etc (plus they do have incredible pulled pork nachos! 😉)

7 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

And if you take issue with the posting of articles, take that same energy and direct it to renderings too, since it falls under the same use. Oh, but, wait, you copy and paste renderings too as you did before posting your rant. But go off on me...

I appreciate all the posts you've been making, summarizing available material about various projects to help everyone keep up to speed on their development, but the way you totally overreact when you perceive even the slightest bit of criticism is negating that.  And it's really hard to take you seriously when you keep responding with animated GIFs.  Please keep doing what you do best, and please avoid the pettiness.  I wish there were a setting in here to turn off animated GIFs, which contribute nothing to the discussion.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:55 AM, C List said:

Soil testing occurring at 610 and Westheimer

Soil testing is done when new construction is being considered. It's also done when there are environmental concerns (i.e., leaking fuel tanks).
Is there an indication as to why soil testing is being done at this location?

Is too much to ask to have a Velvet Taco AND a Twin Peaks at that corner!!!??? 🤩

(oh AND still have Dillards redone and build that sky bridge to the Galleria of course!)

#knockitalldown !!!

15 minutes ago, gene said:

Is too much to ask to have a Velvet Taco AND a Twin Peaks mixed-use development at that corner!!!??? 🤩

(oh AND still have Dillards redone and build that sky bridge to the Galleria of course!)

#knockitalldown !!!

FTFY. We deserve better

1 hour ago, invisibletrees said:

FTFY. We deserve better

1 hour ago, invisibletrees said:

FTFY. We deserve better

I might agree with you depending on what it is you think should be at that corner...

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I neither like or dislike Velvet Taco, but my opinion of this is, "moo."  It will be a great late night dining choice. 

Can't really speak to the tacos, but if I worked in the area, the Mondays where I picked up a $10 backdoor chicken on the way home would probably outnumber the Mondays when I didn't.

3 hours ago, gene said:

I might agree with you depending on what it is you think should be at that corner...

A residential mid-rise/high-rise with retail taking over the entire corner (including the Dillard's parking lot) would be ideal.

Are we sure soil testing at the Shell is related? No news articles mention the gas station as part of the sale. 

Archived