Velvet Taco At 2626 West Loop S.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/26/2020 at 9:35 AM, gene said:

tons of workers here this week and looks like they have built out the building where you can no longer drive or cut through the parking lot between the gas station and them which is good so you don't have that high cut through traffic in front of what i am guessing will be the entrance and probably some sort of outdoor seating area.

I wish they would have duplicated the montrose location since that upstairs area is a cool feature.

anyway...i won't say they have really made significant progress until they knock down those horrible boulder rock columns haha! I HATE those and it would be hilarious if they made them a design feature just to spite me ;)

Bet this is open by the end of the year! 

Those columns will likely remain. VT makes a point to get funky / awkward buildings and keep some of the original features.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, Avossos said:

Those columns will likely remain. VT makes a point to get funky / awkward buildings and keep some of the original features.

I am not kidding when i say that the entire main structure is now framed and those dang boulders ARE in fact still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG you might be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *

😭😲🤪

*unless they are following this thread and leaving them up until the last minute on purpose haha!!! 😂🙏

1 hour ago, gene said:

I am not kidding when i say that the entire main structure is now framed and those dang boulders ARE in fact still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG you might be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *

😭😲🤪

*unless they are following this thread and leaving them up until the last minute on purpose haha!!! 😂🙏

😬😬

I had a feeling. It might work, aesthetically... but it also may be very strange to have a eccentric building next to the 'ritzy' galleria...

Are those stones painted? I don't mind stones in architecture, but i really dislike PAINTED stones...

24 minutes ago, Avossos said:

😬😬

I had a feeling. It might work, aesthetically... but it also may be very strange to have a eccentric building next to the 'ritzy' galleria...

Are those stones painted? I don't mind stones in architecture, but i really dislike PAINTED stones...

dangit @Avossos ....if YOU willed this to happen or worked any kind of voodoo magic to make this happen i will never forgive you and you WILL be blocked! 👹

and ps...yes those horrible stones are painted...haha

3 hours ago, gene said:

dangit @Avossos ....if YOU willed this to happen or worked any kind of voodoo magic to make this happen i will never forgive you and you WILL be blocked! 👹

and ps...yes those horrible stones are painted...haha

I just think your critique maybe led them to keep the stones despite your protest 😘

we need a photo shoot infront of those stones.

I guess they figured out how to sanitize the little ziggurats enough to keep in a food establishment.  Historical note:  The original Carrabba's building on Kirby was previously an adult bookstore in all the glory came with being adjacent to Montrose in the late 70s.  It was years before I could bring myself to eat there.  :ph34r:

• 5 weeks later...

hey today i was driving by this overwhelmed with my disappointment in them leaving up the rock columns haha and i had some thoughts...and personal opinions on this...

i truly think they missed out on finally making something special and even yes, classy, to fit the Uptown area... 

the way they did the roof coming down so low really makes the place look small and darker than if they would have done a higher window line and a cleaner look...as now it looks like a Pizza Hut building and wish they would have done something more like the Montrose location with high ceilings and larger windows.

Also and i am sure some might disagree, but the LARGE east facing window wall should have been made to face west...as i personally would rather have a large window facing the uptown area and building and yes, even the Dillards parking lot than facing the speeding cars and freeway wall...plus now all the people walking along Post Oak and Westheimer and going to Dillards only see the ugly back side of the building and may not be aware that there is even a Velvet Taco there (the huge sign for now only faces north and south...maybe they should put a big square shaped sign on top of the pole to have the sign face all directions?)...

anyway sorry for the rambling but i just personally feel they missed the mark on this and a huge opportunity to have something really special added to my great and favorite area of town :) ) 

we will see if i still feel the same when i am actually going there to get my favorite chicken and waffles taco, stay tuned ha! 

🌮

Well everyone, it's official, Velvet Taco saw my posts and angrily decided to really get back at me by painting the rock columns HOT PINK and the building and ugly green (and this coming from someone that loves green)...

i WISH i was kidding...

🤢

so yep, Hot Pink and Green Velvet Taco...

how fun for them 

haha

🤡

4 hours ago, gene said:

Well everyone, it's official, Velvet Taco saw my posts and angrily decided to really get back at me by painting the rock columns HOT PINK and the building and ugly green (and this coming from someone that loves green)...

i WISH i was kidding...

🤢

so yep, Hot Pink and Green Velvet Taco...

how fun for them 

haha

🤡

Not true unless we get some pics from you.....:P

🤪 haha!

and this morning drove by those (in-)famous rock columns to see progress on the building...

they are moving along pretty quickly and think it will be another month before it is mostly completed...so looking at an "early next year" opening i bet...

also it SEEMS that the north facing side might be the actual entrance...it will then face the gas station? who knows as i am confused and need to go by there when i can get out of my vehicle and do some investigating ;) 

edit to add: Crud, they really do read this forum as they have now added a new bright color to the buiding... almost NEON YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good grief!!!! haha! 

I am hoping when this place is done i will go, well dang i was wrong...this is super fun and adds some much needed character to uptown...

🙃

• 1 month later...

just an update...the Velvet Taco signage actually looks SUPER cool...

they have huge light up letters over the whole north facing entrance side saying VELVET TACO...the letters are probably around 3 to 4 feet tall and span the entire length of the building almost...then on the east facing side they have large 1 to 2 feet tall lit letters saying OPEN REALLY LATE.

love all of that...

so yeah things are looking up...

well except the ugly hot pink rock columns...those are still a main feature...oy ;) 

I am thinking this will be open in a month or so

On 12/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, gene said:

just an update...the Velvet Taco signage actually looks SUPER cool...

they have huge light up letters over the whole north facing entrance side saying VELVET TACO...the letters are probably around 3 to 4 feet tall and span the entire length of the building almost...then on the east facing side they have large 1 to 2 feet tall lit letters saying OPEN REALLY LATE.

love all of that...

so yeah things are looking up...

well except the ugly hot pink rock columns...those are still a main feature...oy ;) 

I am thinking this will be open in a month or so

I saw that today and it did look cool. If they would have exposed the rock and not paint them... it could have looked a little upscale funky... now it’s more iffy.

overall, still a huge improvement.

• 5 weeks later...

I am either going today at lunch or tonight after work! 

and absolutely no doubt it will do amazing business with all those car and motorcycle meet ups that happen in the Dillards parking lot etc...especially being open until midnight on fri and sat! (10pm all other nights) (btw i believe montrose and other locations used to be open until 3am on weekends so i am not sure when that changed but it did)

2 hours ago, gene said:

I am either going today at lunch or tonight after work! 

and absolutely no doubt it will do amazing business with all those car and motorcycle meet ups that happen in the Dillards parking lot etc...especially being open until midnight on fri and sat! (10pm all other nights) (btw i believe montrose and other locations used to be open until 3am on weekends so i am not sure when that changed but it did)

Take a pic of the pink rocks pls 😛

went last night for the good ole number 18, my favorite! fairly small inside but nice and nice view of uptown if you sit at the north facing counter with bar stools. not overly crowded at 615pm when i went (and on a tuesday no less)

will definitely be back

#18 Chicken & waffle

crisp tenders, peppered bacon, peppercorn gravy, green apple slaw, maple syrup, red chile aioli, chives, waffle tortilla

On 1/26/2021 at 1:15 PM, gene said:

the Velvet Taco Instagram has a photo/video on their newest post...

i mean it does look fun...but nope still don't like the columns haha

https://www.instagram.com/velvettaco/?hl=en

It's the combined effect of the pink columns with the adjacent neon-green brickwork that is truly heinous.  

vt.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Surprising the Roy Rogers is still intact, and it's actually been restored from that fabric-covered roof Zone d'Erotica used to have. Me personally? I'm torn.

Positives: a RESTAURANT again, restores signage, probably looks cool at night

Negatives: pink is a disgrace to the stone columns, building once again flaunts the fact that there's no strict zoning or rules on building appearance

Archived