Bought Home In Sugar Land And Thinking

sugarni

We bought a home to construct at Reserve at Glen Laurel a month ago. We have to still complete design center appointments and haven't signed a mortgage yet.

Some friends of mine say it's very bad location....resale ponit of view, schools...everything. They say New Territory is better option. According to them, I'll lose almost $20-30K when I sell it.

I definitely look at my house not only a place to live, but also a huge investment. We have paid $2500 towards processing so far.

Could anyone shed some insight into this? I'm very stressed over this and breaking my head. :(

TIA,

San

We bought a home to construct at Reserve at Glen Laurel a month ago. We have to still complete design center appointments and haven't signed a mortgage yet.

Some friends of mine say it's very bad location....resale ponit of view, schools...everything. They say New Territory is better option. According to them, I'll lose almost $20-30K when I sell it.

I definitely look at my house not only a place to live, but also a huge investment. We have paid $2500 towards processing so far.

Could anyone shed some insight into this? I'm very stressed over this and breaking my head. :(

TIA,

San

I lived right across hwy.6 from 2001 to 2003 in Summerfield, which backs up to Stephen F Austin High. I sold my house and made a $25,000 profit in 2 years. Glen Laurel is not a bad subdivision at all, I think a little value decreased because of West Airport going all the way through and it increased traffic. It is a known shortcut for commuters of Cinco Ranch and New Territory. If you still have the option to move to New Territory, then you might look into it.

TIA,

San

First of all, I will be upfront and tell you I am a Realtor in Sugar Land. Hopefully, my input will be helpful. I feel bad that you are having regrets and are not sure what to do. A home is THE most important investment most people will ever make.

First of all, everyone has an opinion, you know how that saying goes. It does depend on what you want. New Territory is a wonderful community, but its not for everyone for different reasons. The homes in NT are a bit older and with the new community of Telfair to start development all around it in the next few months, it will have some stiff competition for resale. If folks can buy new for what they are paying for a resale, a good portion of the time, they will opt for new.

On the other hand, the problem with new is just that. If you are trying to sell amongst new construction, it is difficult. Over time I believe the area you are buying in will appreciate (although I do not have a crystal ball) you just could not recoop your money over the short term. It is like that with any new home/neighborhood.

As far as the schools, I totally disagree with your friends input. The school district for this area is Barrington, Sugar Land and Kempner. They are all of Recognized ratings, just one step below exemplary. I live just a stone's throw from Sugar Land Middle School in Old Sugar Land. I have complete confidence in the Ft Bend School district. I just do not think you can go wrong in that area.

As for location, this is an established community where new sections are being built, so not a lot of history on the new sections. I will say it is a very convenient location, easy access to Hwy 90 & Hwy 59.

Hope this information helps and if you would like any further input, just let me know. Also, if you would like representation, remember the builder is working for the builder....I will be glad to help. Although, historically, if you do not tell them you have a Realtor initially, they will not agree to compensate a Realtor. Bottom line though, if they have your best interest at heart, they should want you to get the help and advise you think you need.

Regards, patsys

• 2 weeks later...
You didn't mention that you are in Tom "Decon" Delay's district. Poor you.

Not poor her...we need more good people here to get rid of him. Don't want to bring us too far off topic though.

The values in Sugar Land in general seem to be doing fine if you wait long enough. I bought a house in New Territory from someone that bought it 2 years ago and had to move out of state for work. It's funny because they got about $15k more than they paid for it, but still had to write a check at closing once they got past all of the realtor commissions (3% on both ends plus 1% bonus to their agent) plus their contribution toward my closing costs. I think if you wait long enough the values will do fine. Plus some people like me like a house that's a few years old better than brand new. It's going to take Telfair and the other developments 10+ years to have the nice mature trees we have in New Territory. That's a priceless bonus. New Territory HOA fees are a rip off though at $800 a year for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

WE bought in New Territory (right near the club). This was not our first choice but we had to find a 4 bedroom, one story quickly as our home sold in one day and we had 3 weeks to get out. Our first choice was in the First Colony area, i.e. austin park, stephens grant, lakes of austin park..but there was not a one story available there. New Territory is lovely (close to the club) but we are empty nesters and this is not for us. We have lived in our lovely home now 2 1/2 years and we have decided to sell it and get to an area where there are more our age group. We miss talking to neighbors. We miss seeing people walking and working outdoors. Telfair is a stone's throw away. They will be building an area for people like us....empty nesters, i.e. small lot, one stories. Telfair will plant Magnolia trees and I heard if one wants a larger one, this can be ordered for an upgrade, I am sure. They will have walking trails and park benches and this is appealing to us. Plus having folks our age..we have more things in common. New Territory and Telfair are right in the heart of things and so many ammenities around you. Our home in NT has appreciated in the 2 1/2 years we have been here.

How much you asking Tess ?

Geez, I have not thought about this yet but I do want to sell it by owner. A few people have placed their homes for sale in the new Territory magazine and got great results.

We have 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths...one story. The back yard is not big but has beautiful pavestone and a covered patio and the driveway gate is customize with wrought iron and wood. and lattice. I want this concept repeated in another home. One bedroom we use as a study and the grandbabies "visiting room" is done all in Minnie and Mickey and Daisy and Pluto as a mural on the wall. The roof is 2 years old. Built in 1995 and has almost 2400 sq ft. Detached garage. Landscaping is very nice. We are going to do touch up painting and have the crown molding painted again. We have an air man insepct our air and heat twice a year and they are Trane. Carpet is 7 years old so we will allow carpet allowance. Stainless side x side stays with the house. I just put in a Sears top of the line stainless diswasher. I am putting in a stainless deep sink.

Geez, I hope I do not get in trouble for telling you about my house. :rolleyes: We would like to be out by this summer sometime.

Who was your home built by, Pioneer, Plantation ? Any pics you can put on here ?

Emerald built many of the homes on this side of the Grand Parkway. There are two sections of New Territory. East of the GP and west of the GP....We are very close to the lovely New Territory club/pools/tennis. etc. etc. We are East.

• The title was changed to Bought Home In Sugar Land And Thinking

Archived