We lost a great architect today. I. M. Pei passed today. He still owns the record for the tallest building in Texas. 

When designed it was known as the Texas Commerce bank Building. Now the Chase.

Quite a few of the late twentieth century giants have recently passed.

There was about a two-decade span where he and Philip Johnson were the most prominent architects in the world. Johnson played an outsize role in putting Houston on the map architecturally while Pei played the same role for Dallas, though each did important work in the other city as well. When buildings as unique and masterful as Dallas City Hall or the Meyerson Symphony Center or Fountain Place are built, they affect the lesser architects who do work in that city, to the point where over time the whole city bears the imprint of his hand.

But Pei to some degree did this for the entire country and late/postmodern architecture in general. How many of our glass and steel or concrete office park atriums, conference centers, hotel lobbies, etc. were attempts by local architects to realize the articulation of space that he had achieved at the National Gallery of Art in D.C. or the John F. Kennedy Library in Boston? Just like every lazy arch or Greek column in an 80's office building or shopping center traces its way back to what Johnson was doing with historical elements at the time. An architect of their magnitude affects the whole spectrum of what is built.

AP962760478275-1000x628.jpg

11 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Just like every lazy arch or Greek column in an 80's office building or shopping center traces its way back to what Johnson was doing with historical elements at the time.

Johnson's influence is evident; Michael Graves (IMO) even more so.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to school at Boulder so I made it to NCAR a few times...this building is a part of the landscape and I remember doing some research about I.M. Pei.  I eventually got to see his Bank of China tower up close in Hong Kong.  At the time, it was one of my favorite buildings in the world.  He was one of the great architects of the 20th century and contributed significantly to Houston's skyline.

• The title was changed to I.M. Pei

Archived