editor

Organizing HAIF neighborhoods

Hi all,

I've come up with a general idea of how I would like to reorganize the neighborhoods section of HAIF to make it a little more complete.  When HAIF started 16 years ago, there were a million fewer people living in the metro.  Some of the sparsely-populated places have filled in since then, and so I think we could use a few more divisions.

Here's a notion of what I have in mind.  Tell me what you think:

• The Loop: Neighborhoods inside and generally adjacent to the Interstate 610 Loop.
    Including Bellaire, Galleria Area, Sharpstown, Meyerland
  • Points North: Places generally along the North Freeway (I-45) and the Hardy Toll Road
    Acres Home, North Houston, Aldine, Spring, The Woodlands, Conroe
  • Points Northeast: Places generally along the Eastex Freeway (U.S. 59/I-69)
    IAH, Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita, Lake Houston, Crosby, Eastex, Jensen, East Houston,
  • Points East: Places generally along the East Freeway (I-10) and north of the Ship Channel
    Jacinto City, Galena Park, Channelview, Baytown, Anahuac
  • Points Southeast: Places generally along the South Freeway (I-45), and south of the Ship Channel
    South Houston, Pasadena, Deer Park, Clear Lake, Freindswood, League City, Texas City, Santa Fe, Hobby Area
  • Points South: Places generally along the South Freeway (TX-288)
    Pearland, Manvel, Alvin, Sunnyside, South Park
  • Points Southwest: Places generally along the Southwest Freeway (U.S.59/I-69)
    Sugarland, Missouri City, Stafford, Rosenberg, Alief
  • Points West: Places along the Katy Freeway (I-10)
    Katy, Spring Valley, Addicks, the villages, Memorial, Westchase
  • Points Northwest: Places generally along the Northwest Freeway (U.S.290) and the Tomball Tollway (TX-249)
    Jersey Village, Tomball, Cypress, Willowbrook, Inwood
  • Galveston and the Gulf: The island and near-Gulf places
    Galveston, Bolivar Peninsula, Angleton, Lake Jackson, Jamaica Beach, Freeport
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, editor said:

Hi all,

I've come up with a general idea of how I would like to reorganize the neighborhoods section of HAIF to make it a little more complete.  When HAIF started 16 years ago, there were a million fewer people living in the metro.  Some of the sparsely-populated places have filled in since then, and so I think we could use a few more divisions.

• The Loop: Neighborhoods inside and generally adjacent to the Interstate 610 Loop.
  • Points North: Places generally along the North Freeway (I-45) and the Hardy Toll Road
    IAH, Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita, Lake Houston, Crosby, Eastex, Jensen, East Houston,
  • Points East: Places generally along the East Freeway (I-10) and north of the Ship Channel
  • Points Southeast: Places generally along the South Freeway (I-45), and south of the Ship Channel
    South Houston, Pasadena, Deer Park, Clear Lake, Freindswood, League City, Texas City, Santa Fe, Hobby Area
  • Points Northwest: Places generally along the Northwest Freeway (U.S.290) and the Tomball Tollway (TX-249)

Could their be subsections within these? I really like having a 'Heights' section and a 'Downtown' section...

3 hours ago, Avossos said:

Could their be subsections within these? I really like having a 'Heights' section and a 'Downtown' section...

There still will be. Editor is just give some suggestions of what will be included as part of "The Loop".

15 hours ago, editor said:

Hi all,

Like the idea. You could even include the Highways / directional highway as part of the nomenclature. Example:

North (I-45)

Northeast (US-59,I-69)

etc...

Our highway system is one of the more well organized and neatly laid out systems around that very perfectly divided areas of town. Lets use them.

From my own personal experiences as an architect-in-training working at the office I do now, it might best to put areas like; Bellaire, West U, The Villages, etc... that are literally their own towns or townships into their own category as they are legitimately not part of Houston with their own separate permitting authority for buildings. A category for them might be: Metro Townships as in they are Townships, but are within the greater Metro area.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:19 PM, editor said:

Hi all,

This neighborhood forum might be my favorite :ph34r:

Include West U in the description? Although, West U is outside of Bellaire.  Bellaire is already listed.