Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Sunstar

Darn Facists!

Set your DVR

Local CBS station to air Victoria's Secret fashion show in the wee hours

By MIKE McDANIEL

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Channel 11 is pre-empting girls in their nighties for a home-grown special of its own. KHOU morning anchor Debra Duncan is hosting In the Spotlight, which includes interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Ricardo Chavira (Carlos on Desperate Housewives) and model/actress Brooke Burns (Baywatch).

"We wanted to put on a show of our own," said Channel 11 chief Peter Diaz.

It also saves him tons of e-mails from people who object to girls in underwear in prime time.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3504301.html

I hear CBS changed its mind about airing the program in HD.

I bet THAT would have sold more TVs than the Super Bowl.

What Hypocrites, it's ok to show the blood and guts of CSI, but God forbid we see girls prancing around in their undies that cover more than the swimsuits on any of their primetime shows.

Peter Diaz <-------sell out !

It's probably not Peter. As much as I HATE KHOU, I know Peter and he's a really nice guy. He was the sales manager at KCBS-TV/Los Angeles before coming to KHOU, so he's focused on the money, and he knows the Victoria Secret special would bring in more money than anything with Debra/Deborah Duncan. You can blame the Puritan streak on KHOU's parent company in Dallas. They're the ones who really run things at 11.

You can blame the Puritan streak on KHOU's parent company in Dallas. They're the ones who really run things at 11.

That's part of Houston's main problem RIGHT there. Why are so many Houston media and entertainment outlets being run by people that don't even live in Houston? If it were someone within Houston city limits running the show, maybe they would have had more backbone behind them, and not have listened to the politically correct.

I'm telling ya, if we keep listening to the politically correct, Houston will NEVER go anywhere.

Nothing personal but everytime I see Debra Duncan, I avert my gaze...there's just...so MUCH there to look at...and to my taste, it ain't pretty. :P

B)

You are correct, that is why i stare at Dominique on channel 2. She is dreamy ! :wub:

That's part of Houston's main problem RIGHT there. Why are so many Houston media and entertainment outlets being run by people that don't even live in Houston? If it were someone within Houston city limits running the show, maybe they would have had more backbone behind them, and not have listened to the politically correct.

I'm telling ya, if we keep listening to the politically correct, Houston will NEVER go anywhere.

Here's the list:

2 KPRC - Washington, DC owned

8 KUHT - Houston owned

11 KHOU - Dallas owned

13 KTRK - New York owned

14 KETH - Houston owned? - Licensee has a Houston address, but possibly a front.

20 KTXH - New York owned

21 KVQT - Montgomery owned

22 KLTJ - Probably Dallas owned

24 KACY - Montgomery owned

26 KRIV - New York owned

28 KHMV - California owned

30 KCVH - unknown

33 KBPX - West Palm Beach owned

39 KHWB - Chicago owned

43 KHLM - Houston owned (but not really a TV station)

53 KVVV - California owned

61 KZJL - California owned

Guess I'm the only one who actually watched part of Deborah Duncan's special. She interviewed Oprah Winfrey. Hard-hitting as a kitten batting around a marshmallow, but still, Oprah had some very positive things to say about Houston's response to the Katrina refugees...er, evacuees. However, since it's doubtful that this show will be seen outside the Houston market, her remarks will do little to improve our national image.

My only regret is that the decision to delay the broadcast of this infomercial (and that's what it is) might encourage those who want to regulate what others can view on their own television sets. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about Victoria's Secret. I don't buy ladies lingerie; and besides, they never have anything in my size.

Virtually all of the big city TV stations are owned by large corporations, a la Clear Channel. However, the decision not to show a sexy infomercial is made locally by the general manager of that station. This decision cost KHOU advertising revenue. Everyone knows which show would have garnered more viewers.

A locally owned station may actually be more influenced by the "avert your eyes" crowd, not less.

Guess I'm the only one who actually watched part of Deborah Duncan's special. She interviewed Oprah Winfrey. Hard-hitting as a kitten batting around a marshmallow, but still, Oprah had some very positive things to say about Houston's response to the Katrina refugees...er, evacuees. However, since it's doubtful that this show will be seen outside the Houston market, her remarks will do little to improve our national image.

My only regret is that the decision to delay the broadcast of this infomercial (and that's what it is) might encourage those who want to regulate what others can view on their own television sets. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about Victoria's Secret. I don't buy ladies lingerie; and besides, they never have anything in my size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^ :lol:

i saw part of the special too - it wasn't too special, but oprah did say good things about houston...

heck, i didn't even really know who the other two guests were (and i am sure no one else much cared)

My only regret is that the decision to delay the broadcast of this infomercial (and that's what it is) might encourage those who want to regulate what others can view on their own television sets.

You sound like it's not happening already. Television and radio content has been regulated since their inception. The courts decided decades ago this is legal. Nothing new here. The only media in the U.S. not currently regulated by a government body are print and internet.

A locally owned station may actually be more influenced by the "avert your eyes" crowd, not less.

It depends on who owns it.

My experience with radio has been that the larger the company behind a station, the more risks it is willing to take.

My experience has also shown exactly the opposite is true in television.

Of course, there are exceptions. Some huge broadcast owners very closely dictate what their stations will and will not air. Others don't care what they put on the air as long as the local stations meet their quarterly sales goals.

Archived