Circulator Bus For Midtown

dbigtex56

Virtually all public transportation in Midtown is oriented to the north and south. It's approximately a mile from its eastern to western edges, and public transportation doesn't run in that direction. 
Imagine a circulator bus (similar to downtown's GreenLink) that would intersect with the light rail stops. For example, it could start westbound at the McGowen stop, continue over to Bagby, cut south to Elgin, jog over to Milam, then go east on Alabama (HCC/Ensemble rail stop), turning north on Crawford, and looping back to McGowen.
This would bring people close to Randall's, Spec's, Whole Foods, and numerous bars and restaurants on the west side, provide broader access to Elizabeth Baldwin Park, and encourage development on the east side. It would unify Midtown as a neighborhood.
No, I don't know who's going to pay for it, but it sure would be nice.
Thoughts?

On 5/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, Houston19514 said:

There are four east-west bus lines in Midtown, nicely spread out from north to south.  Two of them are in the frequent network (every 15 minutes or less).

I'm unclear as to which lines you're referring to.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Virtually all public transportation in Midtown is oriented to the north and south. It's approximately a mile from its eastern to western edges, and public transportation doesn't run in that direction. 
Imagine a circulator bus (similar to downtown's GreenLink) that would intersect with the light rail stops. For example, it could start westbound at the McGowen stop, continue over to Bagby, cut south to Elgin, jog over to Milam, then go east on Alabama (HCC/Ensemble rail stop), turning north on Crawford, and looping back to McGowen.
This would bring people close to Randall's, Spec's, Whole Foods, and numerous bars and restaurants on the west side, provide broader access to Elizabeth Baldwin Park, and encourage development on the east side. It would unify Midtown as a neighborhood.
No, I don't know who's going to pay for it, but it sure would be nice.
Thoughts?

Yeah, I think that would be brilliant. Pretty sure Downtown District (TIRZ) pays for theirs out of pocket, which is why it is free. Midtown would have to do the same. This would be super smart. 

This is the type of service an automated bus would do great at 🤨

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

I'm unclear as to which lines you're referring to.

Yeah, there definitely aren't.

25 Richmond goes straight across at Richmond.

009 Gulfton/Holman comes up  the spur and then across on Elgin (ish) but only makes 3 stops I can see?

54 Scott doesn't really cut across Midtown

32 Renwick doesn't either.

15 hours ago, wilcal said:

Yeah, I think that would be brilliant. Pretty sure Downtown District (TIRZ) pays for theirs out of pocket, which is why it is free. Midtown would have to do the same. This would be super smart. 

This is the type of service an automated bus would do great at 🤨

Yeah, there definitely aren't.

(1)   25 Richmond goes straight across at Richmond.  

(2)  009 Gulfton/Holman comes up  the spur and then across on Elgin (ish) but only makes 3 stops I can see?  Makes at least 8 stops between the freeway and Smith Street (Elgin & Chenevert; Elgin & Crawford; Elgin & Milam; Holman & Austin; Holman & Fannin; Holman & San Jacinto; Holman & Travis; La Branch & Holman)

(3)  54 Scott doesn't really cut across Midtown  It may not go all the way across, but it does provide east-west service in Midtown and connectivity to the Red Line.

(4) 32 Renwick doesn't either.  I had not even counted this one. Thanks for adding it.  Like the 54, it may not go all the way across, but it does provide east-west service and connectivity to the Red Line.

(5) 261  This is my mistake.  While this does make stops in Midtown in an east-west direction, it's a Park & Ride, so not really the kind of service we are looking for here.

• The title was changed to Circulator Bus For Midtown

Archived