Bike Route for all my pics

hindesky

17 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Probably about 3 hours but I stop a lot to take my pics.

What kind of bike do you have? Not looking for something super high-end, but whats a good entry level bike for distance rides that are also good for casual riding in the city?

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

What kind of bike do you have? Not looking for something super high-end, but whats a good entry level bike for distance rides that are also good for casual riding in the city?

My bicycle is what they call a gravel bike, it has the drop bars of a road bike but has a more relaxed ride and bigger tires than regular road bikes. It's a Specialized Awol Comp I bought from West End Bicycle. Mine cost $2100 a couple years ago but they have others at a lower price.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/road-bikes/adventure--gravel-bikes/c/roadadventuregravel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luminare said:

Specialized is a solid brand.  I've been riding a Specialized Roll for the past couple of years.  Got it for around $700 at Bike Barn with rack and kickstand added (yeah...you have to pay extra for that) plus had them put in puncture resistant tubes.  After that I've customized it a little further for urban riding.  The Roll is more of an upright comfort bike so it depends on what you like.

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

Probably about 3 hours but I stop a lot to take my pics.

That sounds like me, except i stop for beer.

Edited by august948

On 5/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, Luminare said:

I assume (as with most Americans) you either never had a bike, or haven't had a bike since you got your first car when you were 16?

you don't have to spend a lot to get a great first bike, anywhere between 500-1000 will get you in a really nice starter bike. when you get over that price, all you really gain is lighter weight components. (I've been doing the adult bike thing for about 15 years, and I have as of yet to buy a bike over $1000). unless the bike you're looking at will have a battery and electric motor assist, you're probably wasting your money spending more on a first bike, or even a second.

don't waste your time on a walmart or academy bike. they are ok for riding around UH campus as a student, but will not make you want to keep riding.

gravel geometry is a good place to fit. 

you interface with the bike in 3 places, the handlebars, the seat and the pedals. on any bike, these are designed for average riders, consider replacing each of these with something comfy for you. the seat being the most critical.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, samagon said:

I assume (as with most Americans) you having had a bike since you got a car?

you don't have to spend a lot to get a great first bike, anywhere between 500-1000 will get you in a really nice starter bike. when you get over that price, all you really gain is lighter weight components.

don't waste your time on a walmart or academy bike. they are ok for riding around UH campus as a student, but will not make you want to keep riding.

gravel geometry is a good place to fit. 

you interface with the bike in 3 places, the handlebars, the seat and the pedals. on any bike, these are designed for average riders, consider replacing each of these with something comfy for you. the seat being the most critical.

Great advice. Will look into it. My budget is going to be between 300-500 and if I can get a used bike for cheaper than I'll do that. Just need a good entry road bike to get around town and then to get me back into long haul road journeys. While I was abroad in Germany I pretty much never set foot into a car and instead biked everywhere and would go on long haul rides to different villages on weekends that would be minimum 35 miles. So definitely not a first time rider, but definitely a first time purchaser of an actual road bike where my last one in Germany was a used mountain bike that I got for around $120. I live and work in Montrose, so I really only drive a couple times a month.

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

Great advice. Will look into it. My budget is going to be between 300-500 and if I can get a used bike for cheaper than I'll do that. Just need a good entry road bike to get around town and then to get me back into long haul road journeys. While I was abroad in Germany I pretty much never set foot into a car and instead biked everywhere and would go on long haul rides to different villages on weekends that would be minimum 35 miles. So definitely not a first time rider, but definitely a first time purchaser of an actual road bike where my last one in Germany was a used mountain bike that I got for around $120. I live and work in Montrose, so I really only drive a couple times a month.

there's a lot of places that do consignments. boone's cycles, and cyclone cycles come to mind.

there's also Houston bicycle in montrose, (Taft and Westheimer), not sure if they do consignments or not.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, Nate99 said:

Do you head out around sunrise to avoid traffic? 

I wish I could get up that early, usually get up about 6:30 go to Montrose HEB before the crowd hits, go home to eat a light breakfast then head out around 8-8:30. Traffic is still light on Sundays.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:22 PM, hindesky said:

I wish I could get up that early, usually get up about 6:30 go to Montrose HEB before the crowd hits, go home to eat a light breakfast then head out around 8-8:30. Traffic is still light on Sundays.

Better anyway to not ride the roads right at sunrise and sunset due to the sun being in drivers eyes, making you harder to spot.

• The title was changed to Bike Route for all my pics
  • 2 weeks later...

Today hurt a lot. The heat and all the miles did me in. Was hoping to get 100 miles for my 3 days of riding but came up 1.6 miles short, couldn't go one more inch.

LRtnVro.jpg

Edited by hindesky
Checked my Strava 98.4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...