Construction To Restart On Nasa Parkway

CE_ugh

http://www.bayareahouston.com/Home/PressRo...e9-January2820/

http://www1.cityofwebster.com/MapsStatic/Bypass.pdf

It looks like a contract was awarded to construct the 3-level interchange of I-45 and the new Nasa Bypass. When the original contractor went bankrupt it seemed like we in Clear Lake would have to suffer through ten more years of driving through central Webster and navigated the deathtrap of a cloverleaf at I-45.

From the schematics and from the right-of-way clearance so far, IH-45 will be significantly wider than what it is now. It would seem this would be the width of the entire freeway when widening occurs somewhere down the line. This would probably neccesitate the demolition of all the overpasses along I-45 and the destruction of the brand new asphalt they laid down. I know the previous ashphalt was in poor condition but to waste money like that seems fishy.

Hopefully, we wont have a great new interchange with no freeway attached to it for a while. 2007 never seemed so far off.

So I'm a little confused by this...

From the map, it looks like the only connector lanes are from/to the north. Does that mean if you wanted to go from Nassau Bay south to say, Galveston, you'll still use the NASA Parkway/I-45 intersection? It appears that they're going to make I-45/NASA Parkway a more Houston standard with the interstate going over the side street. I don't get out to the West side too often but I believe that's what they did/are doing on all the Katy Freeway exits. I-10 used to go under; now it goes over.

if you need to go south on 45, it looks like you'll have to take the Parkway to the 45 feeder, and get on at 518 unless they had a ramp before that light.

or you could take the existing NASA 1 and use the old intersection to get on there, which has no lights. but then you have to go through Webster and deal with all that.

That's what I figured. Since I work in that area now, I can tell you that a lot of people do just that, go south on 45 into League City. Hopefully, this will ease the PM rush hour quite a bit through Webster. One thing it won't do is ease the inbound traffic in the pm on I45. In the afternoon, between 518 and Clear Lake City Blvd, traffic is moving slower inbound than outbound. It seems there are a lot of people working in Clear Lake and living closer to or even in Houston.

So I'm a little confused by this...

From the map, it looks like the only connector lanes are from/to the north. Does that mean if you wanted to go from Nassau Bay south to say, Galveston, you'll still use the NASA Parkway/I-45 intersection? It appears that they're going to make I-45/NASA Parkway a more Houston standard with the interstate going over the side street. I don't get out to the West side too often but I believe that's what they did/are doing on all the Katy Freeway exits. I-10 used to go under; now it goes over.

The city of Webster plan has the bypass connecting with the Beamer Road extention near where old Nasa Road splits from 528. I dont know how effective this will be at reducing traffic congestion going east to west towards NASA but it will definetly open up the West side of Webster and the Harris County portion of League City up for development.

Also, when IH-45 is widened, a direct connector between south 45 and east 2351 would be more than welcome. It would be pretty easy too seeing as how the gas field prevents development for the time being.

• 2 years later...

The NASA Road Bypass will be opened from I-45 to NASA Parkway on July 31.

Bypass Access:

North-bound traffic from League City (on I-45) will be able to exit NASA Parkway and access the Bypass at the intersection of I-45 access road and the NASA Road Bypass, turn right and proceed east-bound past the Kobayashi Road intersection. Traffic traveling east-bound will be able to exit at the following locations: Kobayashi Rd., Highway 3 and Sarah Deel/Water Street.

South-bound traffic from Houston (on I-45) will have to travel along the access road south past NASA Parkway until they reach the intersection of I-45 & NASA Bypass. At the intersection, one can turn left under the I-45 over pass to proceed east-bound. Traffic traveling east-bound will be able to exit at the following locations; Kobayashi Rd., Highway 3 and Sarah Deel/Water Street.

Traffic traveling either north-bound or south-bound, along Highway 3 can access the Bypass at the intersection of Highway 3 and NASA Bypass to proceed west-bound only.

Traffic traveling west-bound on NASA Parkway from El Camino/ FM 270/ Egret Bay Blvd. can access the Bypass a few hundred yards to the west on a temporary on-ramp. Traffic traveling west-bound will be required to exit at Kobayashi Road. From Kobayashi Road, traffic can turn left or right or go straight to I-45 on the Bypass access road. Traffic will be able to go north-bound towards Houston or south-bound towards League City.

a little good news. looks like portions of the nasa road bypass will be open on Thursday.

i've tried to use it a couple of times, until they complete it to land east of El Camino its just not worth it (going from 45 to NASA in the AM and leaving NASA going west to 45 in the PM). The light at El Camino is a killer, especially with the construction. The portion that is open is nice, and when its done its going to be really useful.

i've tried to use it a couple of times, until they complete it to land east of El Camino its just not worth it (going from 45 to NASA in the AM and leaving NASA going west to 45 in the PM). The light at El Camino is a killer, especially with the construction. The portion that is open is nice, and when its done its going to be really useful.

this morning it cut 5 mins off my drive time....even though i had to uturn at 518 (get off at el camino or bay area and stay on the feeder to avoid that)....but this afternoon....there was no improvement because the new nasa 1 entrance is closed...the old nasa rd entrance is closed so were all forced onto the bay area entrance.

• 1 month later...
this morning it cut 5 mins off my drive time....even though i had to uturn at 518 (get off at el camino or bay area and stay on the feeder to avoid that)....but this afternoon....there was no improvement because the new nasa 1 entrance is closed...the old nasa rd entrance is closed so were all forced onto the bay area entrance.
uggggh! who do I call to complain. I first road the partially open bypass the day it opened. it was great in august. then when school opened - it has been a nightmare ever since. by not opening the bridge over El Camino, they have exacerbated the problem 10 fold. I get on at 45 and come to a screaching halt on the ramp over Highway 3. why is the last portion over El Camino not open yet??? They have not worked on the road surface for weeks. in early august a traffic sign appeared saying " signal ahead be prepared to stop" on the portion that goes over El Camino. it was there for weeks and then they took it down in prep for the hurricane. It was clearly a sign to prepare people that there is a traffic signal at the end of bypass. It is now October and still? they have not opened it. Who do we complain to? Why is this project being run so incompetently? Why is it not open yet? It is the most rage inducing thing when you are on a so called bypass and it takes you 25 minutes to go less then a mile! TX DOT doesn't even list the bypass on their website. Does anybody have any info when they will open the east end? The end they have not worked on in weeeks, because it is CLEARLY finished.

uggggh! who do I call to complain. I first road the partially open bypass the day it opened. it was great in august. then when school opened - it has been a nightmare ever since. by not opening the bridge over El Camino, they have exacerbated the problem 10 fold. I get on at 45 and come to a screaching halt on the ramp over Highway 3. why is the last portion over El Camino not open yet??? They have not worked on the road surface for weeks. in early august a traffic sign appeared saying " signal ahead be prepared to stop" on the portion that goes over El Camino. it was there for weeks and then they took it down in prep for the hurricane. It was clearly a sign to prepare people that there is a traffic signal at the end of bypass. It is now October and still? they have not opened it. Who do we complain to? Why is this project being run so incompetently? Why is it not open yet? It is the most rage inducing thing when you are on a so called bypass and it takes you 25 minutes to go less then a mile! TX DOT doesn't even list the bypass on their website. Does anybody have any info when they will open the east end? The end they have not worked on in weeeks, because it is CLEARLY finished.

(281) 464-5500

this is txdot se office on 1959.

EDIT: TxDOT is claiming utility issues with centerpoint is the reason the overpass at el camino isnt open. they said freeway project is scheduled to be finished nov 2009 :(

• 6 months later...

Archived