Bumpy Pickle: Pickleball/Volleyball Courts At 554 Lockwood Dr.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/bumpy-pickle?utm_source=FB_ANMT_ALL_newoffering-bumpypickle

Proposed new Pickleball/Volleyball courts and adjoining bar, from the people behind Sports Creek in EaDo. Currently seeking investors, per Nextseed link above.

Anticipated opening of February 2020 at 534 Lockwood Dr., near Lockwood and Navigation.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

They better start construction shortly if they are going to be open that soon - there wasn't anything being done on the lot the last time I went by ( a few weeks ago)

The plan is to build out the courts and basic amenities first (in order to open by May), then the finishing touches would be added in the following months. Easily achievable, in my opinion... but yes, they need to start ASAP.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, JBTX said:

I always thought this was a bizarre spot for a recreation site. Same with "el segundo" down the street.

To me its charming and what makes Houston unique and cool. Same with all of the Buffalo Bayou East End developments including the Turkey Bend event space which is only a few blocks away but located next to active industrial

• Like 1

Just now, downtownian said:

To me its charming and what makes Houston unique and cool. Same with all of the Buffalo Bayou East End developments including the Turkey Bend event space which is only a few blocks away but located next to active industrial

For reasons that I can't articulate, the BBEE developments and the eventual remodel of the Brother's Coffee plant make sense to me, but these just...don't. Maybe if they came AFTER BBEE changes had been done, I'd see it. 

21 minutes ago, JBTX said:

For reasons that I can't articulate, the BBEE developments and the eventual remodel of the Brother's Coffee plant make sense to me, but these just...don't. Maybe if they came AFTER BBEE changes had been done, I'd see it. 

I'm sure after the BBEE development and Brother's Coffee plant redevelopments, land values will be too high to justify using that amount of land for pickle ball courts and a seasonal swimming pool

Having met the people behind this place multiple times, this does not surprise me. They also run Sports Creek off Polk St. 

They are younger guys and they are trying their best but this was inevitable. Sports Creek is poorly run. Hopefully this allows to focus on that. 

• Like 1

Interesting. The realtor who listed it (along with the guy in charge of Sports Creek) were behind Bumpy Pickle and the development across from Voodoo Queen. I'm assuming that one fell through, as well. All of the phone numbers were the same.

@Eastdwntwn, good timing. Looks like 319 Milby is - at least - not currently for sale. Fingers crossed something will happen with that development.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JBTX said:

I always thought this was a bizarre spot for a recreation site. Same with "el segundo" down the street.

Agree completely, but mostly because of the very close proximity to that concrete and asphalt facility just to the northeast. That facility generates a ton of dust which, depending on wind direction, could cause quite a mess as the it settles.  

Seems to be a poor location for anything outdoor-focused.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 1:11 PM, JBTX said:

el segundo is supposedly a place that the owner built as a personal gathering spot that he opens up for use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

el segundo is supposedly a place that the owner built as a personal gathering spot that he opens up for use.

Oh really? Interesting. Cause I imagine they paid a pretty penny for Gin to design it. But hey, if that's for him, that's awesome!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any word on this? Their social media and website claim they're hiring and pushing towards opening, but the land is still listed as for sale on LoopNet. Curious if they have no real plans to follow through. Feels shady.

What will happen to the NextSeed investments if they no longer pursue development? They raised like 175k.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, ljchou said:

Building permit submitted and approved in August 2020. Looks like they may still be pursuing this after all.

This group HAS TO BE friends with the folks who attempted to open the Next Level gaming bar in Midtown. The level of clusterf*ckery between the two projects is unbelievable. With that said, I wish them the best with this endeavor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess they're back on!

-------

https://houston.eater.com/2021/2/11/22276596/bumpy-pickle-second-ward-houston-opening-pickleball-courts

A Quirky New Bar Devoted to the Sport of Pickleball Will Soon Arrive in the Second Ward

At the awkwardly named Bumpy Pickle, find nine pickleball courts and a full menu of food and cocktails

by Brittanie Shey@brittanieshey  Feb 11, 2021, 9:30am CST

A quirky new sports bar is set to bring the game of pickleball to the Second Ward later this spring.

The Bumpy Pickle, at 554 Lockwood Drive next to Eastwood Park, will have nine courts for the growing sport, plus five sand volleyball courts, and an indoor-outdoor bar area with almost two acres of space for social distancing. The bar is a project from Good Times LLC, who also opened Sports Creek in Eado in 2017, a bar that has soccer and volleyball courts and seasonal league play.

Food-wise, the Bumpy Pickle will offer brunch, lunch and dinner, though exact details are scant. The bar will also serve craft beer and cocktails. The space will also eventually host concerts, private parties and corporate events.

Pickleball, considered one of the fastest-growing sports in the US, is a combination of tennis, ping pong and badminton, played on a netted court with paddles and a ball. Its popularity is growing in Texas, with more than 2,000 players in Houston and regular games at the Fonde Rec Center off Sabine Street. Recently, a Kansas City chain called Chicken N Pickle announced plans to expand to North Texas

And when it arrives, The Bumpy Pickle will be yet another Eastside bar focused on big outdoor spaces. East End Backyard, which opened in October 2020, was also created with the intention to give Second Ward and Greater Eastside residents with little or no outdoor space a place to hang out.

Stay tuned for an exact opening date and more concrete menu details form The Bumpy PIckle.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...