Willowbend Point: Town Homes At 10773 Stella Link Rd.

What's up with the Cushman & Wakefield land at the intersection of Stella Link & Willowbend? The land is also boundaries South Main Street.

The Cushman & Wakefield sign has been there for over a decade.  Why isn't anybody buying it I wonder?

Loopnet listing:

https://www.loopnet.com/listing/stella-link-rd-houston-tx/9142740/

yazWRdq.jpg

• Like 1

New ‘urban walkable’ community southwest of Texas Medical Center moves forward

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/03/26/new-urban-walkable-community-southwest-of-texas.html

A new residential community southwest of the Texas Medical Center is moving ahead.

Houston-based InTown Homes’ Willowbend Green will be “an urban walkable residential neighborhood” near the intersection of Stella Link and Willowbend, according to a variance application submitted to the city planning commission.

The developer is asking the commission to not require a public right-of-way through the first 10-acre section. It’ll be similar to other InTown Homes communities Fannin Station and Kolbe Farms, where home prices start at $360,000 and $375,000, respectively, according to the company's website.

Willowbend Green’s first phase will include 93 homes, a dog park, playground and pool area, agenda documents show.

Requests for comment from Houston-based developer Frank Liu, founder of InTown Homes, or his team weren’t immediately returned.

Liu, through affiliate entity Stella Link Investments Ltd., bought two tracts of land in 2007 from the biotech company Tanox Inc. for $10 million, records from the Harris County district clerk show. One portion became retail and office space, while the other remained empty, the Houston Business Journal previously reported.

In 2009, Stella Link Ltd. sold about 4 acres to Harmony Public Schools’ Cosmos Foundation for the campus. The land marked for Willowbend Green was appraised at $3.3 million in 2018.

Willowbend Green will sit about a mile from another planned project in southwest Houston, Avondale on Main Street.

Atlanta-based PulteGroup Inc. (NYSE: PHM) is planning a new 145-home community on 11 acres at the southeast corner of South Main and West Belfort, HBJ previously reported. The gated community will have two- and three-story floor plans similar to those in Pulte’s Hollister Oaks community in Spring Branch.

b1woMrN.jpg

zN5FdBq.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, balrog said:

Only a matter of time before new development made its way south outside the loop on Stella Link. This parcel and others round it have very easy Med Center access, particularly with the large TMC3 expansion.

Imagine the growth/development that would have taken place in this area if UT had been able to build their research campus. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to InTown Homes Willowbend Green
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to 20-Acres For Sale At South Main St & Willowbend Blvd
  • The title was changed to 20-Acres For Sale At South Main St. & Willowbend Blvd.
  • 2 months later...

The CBRE For Sale signed have been removed from the entire property.

Did the mixed-income residential project from the City of Houston/Harris County go through? I thought the residential project was only on a portion of the 20-acres.  Is the whole site being developed? Any multifamily apartments?

New Homes For Stella Link:

https://houstontx.gov/housing/homes/stella-link.html

The City of Houston is moving forward with the acquisition of a large tract of land at 10301 Stella Link, south of Main Street and east of Willowbend Avenue. This location is approximately 12.2 acres and will support the development and construction of up to 240 disaster-resilient, energy-efficient single-family homes.

This will be a mixed-income development, where over half of the homes will be made affordable to residents making at or less than 80% of Houston’s Area Median Income . To make the best use of the space, we are looking to create higher-density communities – from townhomes to duplexes to condos. But before development begins, it is crucial to get the input of community members, so we can make these homes fit into the vision that residents have for the community.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Willowbend Point: Town Homes At 10773 Stella Link Rd.

Did this really start?!?  Hasn't that corner parcel been sitting vacant for nearly 30 years?  Finally some Pierce Junction development activity!! Only if it would spread across the (freeway) into the Willowbend/Buffalo Speedway/Holmes Road territory. Maybe this will be the catalyst to start further development in the area?

I don't think the luxury town homes are taking the full 20 acres.  I believe they are only using the end-cap space? There was once a proposed City of Houston mixed-income development proposed for the site. I wonder if this is apart of it?  I doubt it though.

I would really like to see very expensive homes here :ph34r:

Let's go!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I don't think the luxury town homes are taking the full 20 acres.  I believe they are only using the end-cap space? There was once a proposed City of Houston mixed-income development proposed for the site. I wonder if this is apart of it?

On your linked City of Houston site, which is still an active project, the more recent soil testing and other documentation says 12.22 acres, leaving eight or so unaccounted for

Edited by strickn
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I love this tree! The tree is just perfect.  It's one of the only life forms still standing within the parcel.

Hmmm I wonder? Maybe they could keep the beautiful tree and reuse it in their neighborhood park? Maybe like a memorial from the past.  This South Main/Willowbend/Stella Link corner is kind of iconic and has been vacant for 30 years.  They could honor a historical place.

The tree will be demolished, sadly.

99NaK4x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 8:47 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Did this really start?!?  Hasn't that corner parcel been sitting vacant for nearly 30 years?  Finally some Pierce Junction development activity!! Only if it would spread across the (freeway) into the Willowbend/Buffalo Speedway/Holmes Road territory. Maybe this will be the catalyst to start further development in the area?

Oddly enough, now a long dormant parcel has a Notice of Public Hearing sign posted.  Let's keep up the momentum! Someone should buy the 800+ acres across the freeway

sjUM7oN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A tall wooden fence is being installed along the Highway 90 feeder.  Is this temporary, or the first fence? I would assume, being located on the feeder of a highway (South Main) that the residential development would have tall, concrete walls.

I don't think a wooden fence will have noise reduction the automotive sounds from the highway.FVhwpvQ.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short brick wall is being constructed along Willowbend Blvd.  Not the best use of materials and height length in my opinion.  While unattractive, a large concrete wall would have been a better idea. Someone could always draw artwork over the bare concrete.

I'd just worry about the noise from the freeway 20 feet away.

0RxRfyV.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for documenting all this. I just drove by it this morning. Aren't they required to put a side walk along that road? Those brick posts look like they don't leave a lot of room for a standard 5 ft sidewalk. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...