The Montrose: Boutique Hotel At 2509 Dunlavy St.

Luminare

49 minutes ago, crock said:

Houston desperately needs some(any) boutique hotels, but 9-units is laughable, the 9 parking spots are literally the same sq.ft as the building itself.   

Thats kinda the point. That is dictated by code. Hopefully at some point the minimum requirements will end for this area as well and they can build on the other side as well.

Its better than nothing, or would you rather them not build it at all? Basically you went from 'Houston really needs something like this, but 9 units is pathetic. Better they not bother at all.'

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Luminare said:

Thats kinda the point. That is dictated by code. Hopefully at some point the minimum requirements will end for this area as well and they can build on the other side as well.

Its better than nothing, or would you rather them not build it at all? Basically you went from 'Houston really needs something like this, but 9 units is pathetic. Better they not bother at all.'

if they're already having to request variance to even make the thing, why not go for 3-4 stories and enough units so the lounge'll be filled/interesting/vibrant and that a single wedding party wouldn't be enough to buy the whole thing out?  

3 hours ago, crock said:

if they're already having to request variance to even make the thing, why not go for 3-4 stories and enough units so the lounge'll be filled/interesting/vibrant and that a single wedding party wouldn't be enough to buy the whole thing out?  

Yeah, see I don't believe you. All you are doing is moving the goalpost. From the tone I'm gauging in your statement, even if they originally proposed 3-4 stories then you would still say it isn't enough simply to be contrarian. Also by your statement about the quantity of people making a space more "filled/interesting/vibrant" by that token maybe you should take more trips to Walmart because that has a bunch of people in a single space. If your gauge of "filled/interesting/vibrant" is primarily based on quantity than you will forever be disappointment. I've seen quality spaces filled with 2 people and quality spaces filled with 100. There are "filled/interesting/vibrant" places that are very exclusive and "filled/interesting/vibrant" places that are inclusive. Boutiques, by there very nature, are small and exclusive. So yes, a single wedding can rent out the whole place. Good for them.

Back in the day the owners of Hotel San Jose and Hotel Saint Cecilia (my favorite) in Austin once had an option on the land where the Cane's on Westheimer in Montrose is....they backed out when the economy first slumped. I thought it would have been a perfect fit (and much needed) for the area!

I welcome any and all hotels, hostels, etc in the area no matter the size...however La Colombe D'or is about to open that huge tower and residences so that is going to be great for Montrose!  

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gene said:

Back in the day the owners of Hotel San Jose and Hotel Saint Cecilia (my favorite) in Austin once had an option on the land where the Cane's on Westheimer in Montrose is....they backed out when the economy first slumped. I thought it would have been a perfect fit (and much needed) for the area!

I welcome any and all hotels, hostels, etc in the area no matter the size...however La Colombe D'or is about to open that huge tower and residences so that is going to be great for Montrose!  

Some European style hostels would be perfect for Montrose. Would fit the vibe of the area pretty nicely.

• Like 1

i was going to respond to Luminaries weirdly butthurt defensiveness, but then i saw the "Room rates will range between $350 and $500 per night" and, well, this is a net-negative for millennial tourism in the city. 

The marketing people that have the gall to say " broader audience " after saying the rooms costs $350 are the worst type of people. 

Edited by crock
more whinging

22 minutes ago, crock said:

i was going to respond to Luminaries weirdly butthurt defensiveness, but then i saw the "Room rates will range between $350 and $500 per night" and, well, this is a net-negative for millennial tourism in the city. 

The marketing people that have the gall to say " broader audience " after saying the rooms costs $350 are the worst type of people. 

Does this area already have any boutique hotels in the $350-$500 a night range?

18 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

My assessment from the outside looking in is they're banking on David Keck's name and their proximity to Houston restaurants and shops. You'll have Goodnight Hospitality's March and Rosie Cannonball in walking distance. Both have received national press before opening later this year. Also in walking distance, One Fifth & Hugo's. 

For people traveling to Houston and hate being forced to rent a car or an Uber to get around, the room rate makes up for the convenience to them. That's my guess.

The prices are steep. But it's a boutique hotel in Montrose, so it is expected.

If there are no other boutique hotels in this price range in the area then this hotel does "broaden the audience". There are people who want an expensive hotel. 

“Within a mile of our proposed site, you have not only the Menil Collection, Buffalo Bayou Park and the Museum of Fine Arts..." 
According to Google Maps, the distance from 2507 Dunlavy to 1001 Bissonnet is 1.9 miles. 
There's quite a difference between taking two mile round trip walk to the museum, and a walk that's nearly four miles.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the pictures and love this hotel concept. Houston badly needs small scale boutique hotels! These are the kind of places i look for when I go to new cities... little hotels within cool neighborhoods.

Are these drawings released because the project is dead or is the project moving forward?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Montrose Hotel: Boutique Hotel Dunlavy Near Westheimer
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Montrose: Boutique Hotel Near Dunlavy & Westheimer
  • The title was changed to The Montrose: Boutique Hotel Near Dunlavy & Westheimer Rd.
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Montrose: Boutique Hotel At 2509 Dunlavy St.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...