Co-Op At Summer Street: Multifamily; Townhomes At 3275 Summer St.

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Back Bay, South End, North End, and much of Southie (South Boston) was mostly brick but a lot of triple deckers in Southie, Dorchester, and Jamaica Plain neighborhoods were wood framed. Across the river, Cambridge is a mix of brick and wood but Somerville (Slumerville) is almost entirely wood.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Back Bay, South End, North End, and much of Southie (South Boston) was mostly brick but a lot of triple deckers in Southie, Dorchester, and Jamaica Plain neighborhoods were wood framed. Across the river, Cambridge is a mix of brick and wood but Somerville (Slumerville) is almost entirely wood.

Even the wood ones probably have more appeal though. I think a lot of houses with this kind of modern siding aren't going to age well aesthetically speaking. The color palettes are so austere, too.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Co-Op At Summer Street: New Apartment Mid-Rise; Townhomes Near Studemont Junction
  • 2 months later...

Wonder what types of renter this will attract. It's not that much cheaper monthly than the rest of the cookie cutter wrap apartments, and probably more per square foot. And you miss out on the pool, gym (?) etc. I'm assuming it has an elevator but maybe just one slow one. I don't know how much the savings on the structured parking and amenities will actually be passed down, and having a multistory parking is great for hurricane season.

2 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Wonder what types of renter this will attract. It's not that much cheaper monthly than the rest of the cookie cutter wrap apartments, and probably more per square foot. And you miss out on the pool, gym (?) etc. I'm assuming it has an elevator but maybe just one slow one. I don't know how much the savings on the structured parking and amenities will actually be passed down, and having a multistory parking is great for hurricane season.

Is this area prone to flooding?

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Is this area prone to flooding?

I doubt it, the elevation is pretty high compared to to the rest of the area. Studemont to the right is pretty deep because it goes under the railroad and the terrain drops of dramatically to the north towards White Oak Bayou from this site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

I doubt it, the elevation is pretty high compared to to the rest of the area. Studemont to the right is pretty deep because it goes under the railroad and the terrain drops of dramatically to the north towards White Oak Bayou from this site.

Right. The adjacent railroad wasn't built between the bayous just because it was convenient. It's the high point. I'd assume the property is a foot or more above street level and then it's another foot or two to get into all the vehicles. I would think most cars that flood in garages are parked on subterranean levels. Even if 100-200 cars flooded, I'd say that's preferred to 50-100 apartments that would flood at a wrap apartment. A centimeter of water will ruin a home's floors, but it takes a lot more to get into vehicles. I actually see this podium style as preferred.

12 hours ago, Squirrel said:

The 2/2 townhome rentals at this property are about the same size/price as my place. My neighbors who rent them out lease them within days and rarely even get a sign up in the yard. That size townhome (1,400-1,500 sq ft) is hard to find still. It looks as if they are leasing for about the same price per square foot too. I don't see pricing for the apartments, but $50-$100/month can matter to a lot of people. Even if the price per sq. ft. is about the same, I'd say it's really the overall annual savings that matter more to most people looking to reduce expenses. If I wanted to save cash but needed to live in the area (save on gas/insurance/not waste hours driving), I'd sacrifice 100 sq. ft. and a pool to save $1,200/year. No question. Ditch the car and your savings pile up quick.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Nobody's going to mention how the apartment block pic looks like a self storage building?

Not keen on Ribbed Tin/Sheet Metal as a building material (and mixed with wood), but the colors are refreshing and the design is cute. 

I've never seen corrugated sheet metal used so much in residential buildings than Houston. My favorite is those tin boxes in midtown by Camden city centre