Co-Op At Summer Street: Multifamily; Townhomes At 3275 Summer St.

Urbannizer

From https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/04/22/houston-developer-to-buy-land-near-washington-ave.html:

Houston developer to buy land near Washington Ave. for apartments, townhome rentals

Houston-based Urban Genesis, the developer that selects small tracts of land for more boutique-style apartment buildings with fewer units in popular locations, is buying land for another project near the Washington Corridor.

The company plans to close this week on 2.3 acres near Summer Street and Studemont for a new 200-unit project called Co-op at Summer Street, expected to break ground this summer.

Co-op at Summer Street will have about 150 apartment units and 50 townhomes, said Matt Shafiezadeh, who oversees strategy and investments for the group. Urban Genesis apartment projects have been “designed to take out dead weight in a complex,” he previously told the Houston Business Journal, meaning there likely won’t be a parking garage or business center as ways to help keep costs in check.

Townhomes for rent will be a new lane for Urban Genesis in Houston, Shafiezadeh said. The mostly three-story units will rent for around $2,400 a month. These options are intended to meet the needs of those who want to move out of apartments but may not have the cash on hand for a downpayment, he said. In essence, the rental equivalent of a starter home.

Houston-based Dosch Marshall Real Estate represented both the buyer and seller, Shafiezadeh said. He said the seller is a mix of local real estate investors.

The tract sits near Alliance Residential’s Broadstone Studemont project at 3030 Summer St. This land was originally proposed for the mixed-use development known as Studemont Junction, which was initially slated to be completed by 2017.

Plans for the mixed-use project included upscale apartments as well as retail including grocers, restaurants and health care.

In January, permits filed with the city of Houston signaled another mixed-use project in the area was moving forward.

An entity named Maple Multi-Family Lower Heights filed $45.76 million in permits with the city for both commercial and residential construction at 2770 Summer St. for a retail shell, open-air parking garage and apartments labeled Alexan Lower Heights, HBJ previously reported. Requests for comment from Trammell Crow Residential, the developer behind the Alexan brand, weren’t returned at the time.

Shafiezadeh said developers in the area, including Alliance Residential and Trammell Crow Residential, were working with the city to extend the White Oak hike and bike trail there.

Meanwhile, Urban Genesis could modify its Heights-area White Oak Highline design if it’s not granted an off-street parking variance.

• Like 3

Urban Genesis apartment projects have been “designed to take out dead weight in a complex,” he previously told the Houston Business Journal, meaning there likely won’t be a parking garage or business center as ways to help keep costs in check.

I like this idea for Houston, but I'm not sure a location with a 48/100 transit score will give it the best chance of success. Maybe this is a design based on street parking and not transit?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alec said:

I like this idea for Houston, but I'm not sure a location with a 48/100 transit score will give it the best chance of success. Maybe this is a design based on street parking and not transit?

Good point.
I assume that if there won't be a parking garage that other accommodations will have to be made. Surface parking? Parking built into the building (as in 'dingbat' apartments)?
Also, is a business center the same as a rental office? With the explosion in online shopping, many tenants rely on having an office where packages can be delivered and claimed. 
Will there be no on-site management? With that many units some oversight is required to be sure that tenants are behaving themselves.
Surely these matters cannot be dismissed as "dead weight".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

No duh. I know that which is why I quoted the portion of the article that says that.

The purpose of the threads is to keep up updates on building plans, construction, and so on. And in those threads, even you yourself, will make a post or change the title to notate that the project has changed direction, changed hands, changed its name, or is no longer happening and continue the thread with the replacement project. The Studemont Junction thread falls under those same parameters. 

Also it helps when searching and reading through the thread to see that portion of the land is now being developed into something else.

I don't know why you'll do the same thing I wrote above for every other project, but for this, do something completely different by adding this as a new thread of its own. That's why I posted what I posted because that's not what you usually do. 

Chill dude 😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

No duh. I know that which is why I quoted the portion of the article that says that.

The purpose of the threads is to keep up updates on building plans, construction, and so on. And in those threads, even you yourself, will make a post or change the title to notate that the project has changed direction, changed hands, changed its name, or is no longer happening and continue the thread with the replacement project. The Studemont Junction thread falls under those same parameters. 

Also it helps when searching and reading through the thread to see that portion of the land is now being developed into something else.

I don't know why you'll do the same thing I wrote above for every other project, but for this, do something completely different by adding this as a new thread of its own. That's why I posted what I posted because that's not what you usually do. 

Your saying this as if all of Studemont Junction has been scrapped. There’s a few retail spots and apartments that do exists.

I’ve merged projects related to a complex, like Sawyer Yards, because most are just smaller retail structures that carry the same name and/or developer. If Co-Op at Summer Street was planned as a later phase to Studemont Junction, then it’d be a different story here.

Thread stays put.   

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

By that logic, the 609 Main thread should be folded into the Shamrock Tower thread.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:51 PM, Alec said:

I know they are currently working with the city on a plan to extend or create a bike trail on the east side of the property, which would run between Co-Op and Broadstone Summer Street, with it connecting to Spotts Park. I believe there should be parking on the ground level, like one of their other projects as well. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dumb question probably... I know where the new apartments are.

Are townhomes going in on the West side of the current apartment?

Is the Co-Op going in to the East of the current apartment?

Are both going in West? Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Avossos said:

Dumb question probably... I know where the new apartments are.

Are townhomes going in on the West side of the current apartment?

Is the Co-Op going in to the East of the current apartment?

Are both going in West? Thanks in advance...

Co-Op includes both the townhouses and the apartments. Both will be on the lot west of Broadstone Summer Street

Edit: East to West

Edited by ErickEdgar
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Those look kind of like the David Weekly townhomes you see in Midtown and the Heights. I ....like it?

Alot of people focus on apartments and condos coming in the loop, but seeing such tight townhome in-fill is just as good if not better because it shows that Houston residents can embrace a house that isn't a 2500 sq foot house on a fifth of an acre. And it shows full families moving into these areas. Exciting! 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Co-Op at Summer Street: New Apartment Mid-Rise; Townhomes Near Studemont Junction