Sign in to follow this  
wxman

Old KHOU site.

They have begun demolition on the old KHOU studios. Sort of sad to see a legacy stations building that's been there since the 50s come down because of Harvey. It's amazing how many scares are still all over Houston.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2018 at 4:45 PM, wxman said:

They have begun demolition on the old KHOU studios. Sort of sad to see a legacy stations building that's been there since the 50s come down because of Harvey. It's amazing how many scares are still all over Houston.

Harvey was the final straw. 

The building had flooded in the past, notably prior to this with Allison, though that wasn't nearly on the scale of the more recent storm.

IIRC, after Allison it was proposed to the then-owners (Belo) that a floodgate or similar preventative system could be installed to mitigate the risks but cost was a factor and thus it never happened. The current owners (TEGNA, formerly Gannett) pretty much saw all that needed to be seen and decided to invest in a location further away.

FWIW, I think all I will miss from that location is the tower & signage. Always liked that they actually kept the 1991-era logo for over a decade after they stopped using it on-air. And seeing the "H-O" blinking during the holidays was a nice touch.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the land is gonna be used for next? Condos, townhomes, building...

19 hours ago, Elseed said:

Anyone know what the land is gonna be used for next? Condos, townhomes, building...

Whatever will be built there, if the city allows the first floor or any of the parking or other infrastructure to be a thing less and 20’ above grade, the City should be held to task.

• Like 2

Had a good conversation with the security guard next door. He didn’t think a tower would be built here. Said the city would need to control the flooding first.

Took photos but they’re not the best 

Saw them about to build the AT luffer on my way home after my bicycle ride. I stopped to take a pic and one of the guys came up to me and said they were going to fly up a 40,000 lbs chiller on top of the Service Corporation International building. 8 hrs to build the crane out, 30 minutes to do the job and 8 hours to take the crane apart. Expensive job but who wants to work in a building without air conditioning?

MtAxeKp.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Did service Corp also purchase this land?

Yes

On 4/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, htownbro said:

so what is being built here?

High rise catacombs?😎

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

High rise catacombs?😎

I had a studio instructor in architecture school who thought it would be a great idea to turn the old rice silos along Allen Parkway into a columbarium for cremains. I don't think he envisioned individual urns but to just pour ashes into the silos much like the grain had been stored. Novel or bizarre, or both? 🤔

• Like 3