Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Scott Street @ McGowen Street

Scott St @ McGowen St in Houston's Third Ward. This is own the street from University of Houston and blocks away from the Gulf Freeway.

zw92w2u.jpg

From Google Street View, October 2018:

VlxkODj.jpg

nS9fSlV.jpg

eP8gx28.jpg

3oYkNEA.jpg

ocDBflV.jpg

jsVU05J.jpg

From a listing:

Vacant and cleared lot located at the hard corner of McGowen St and Scott St is in the midst of the business corridor right at I-45 South near Downtown and University of Houston. This area is now known as University Park.Accessible to all forms of mass transit. Neighboring 10,000 Sq Ft may also be available.PLEASE NOTE: while the COH refers to the property as 3500 McGowen, the attached survey and legal description indicates that the lot is at the southwest corner of McGowen St and Scott St.

https://www.har.com/MarshaFisk/listing_detail/76810131

Posted (edited)

The lot on Scott St @ McGowen St in Houston's Third Ward has been on the market for a while. It's still on the market waiting to be sold.

Here are the
 latest marketing materials for the property zoned for commercial use.

https://www.loopnet.com/LDP/DownloadFile?file=https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/8W2kFuMmEIxTKKiXD3mAZKnmjQDHfwCvG4cR77SIxH8/document.pdf

From NewQuest and Loopnet:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Scott-St-McGowen-St-Houston-TX/15477438/   (archive link)

1.2 Acre
Full Block Available For Sale
First Time On The Market
Inside The Loop
Near The University Of Houston

zCFnQcN.jpg

AGnbsgA.jpg

irrdQTp.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

First off, it's not "zoned commercial". Houston doesn't classify land that way. You can pretty much build anything you want there, including a giant residential structure.

The marketing materials are a laugh, using the 10 mile radius for the demographics. If they used a smaller circle, the income, etc would look pretty awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ross said:

First off, it's not "zoned commercial". Houston doesn't classify land that way. You can pretty much build anything you want there, including a giant residential structure.

You don't say? I never knew that.

the office eye roll GIF

I wrote commercial because the lot is described as a commercial lot.

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

You don't say? I never knew that.

the office eye roll GIF

I wrote commercial because the lot is described as a commercial lot.

No, you wrote "for the property zoned for commercial use" which is clearly incorrect. Just take the (minor) L and move on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, gmac said:

No, you wrote "for the property zoned for commercial use" which is clearly incorrect. Just take the (minor) L and move on.

I know what I wrote because the post is there. I can read. Yes, I wrote zoned BUT GOOD GRIEF you knew what I was referring to. The Loopnet listing and other listing refer to this lot as a commercial lot.

So sorry, no "L" for me and no reason to take it, though I know you and always negative Ross would love for me to.

With that, I leave you both with this parting gift as I block you and block Ross again for the umpteenth time...

GIF by Desus & Mero

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

The lot catty corner from this (NW corner of McGowen and Scott) was cleared recently - it was abandoned but 0 setback buildings 

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7329213,-95.3484655,3a,90y,296.89h,87.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syWdLzw39S7PpTiNt8OnxTA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Judging by the new gas station at 45 and Scott, and the pad restaurant going next to that, I suspect that this will become a strip center.  What about this lot (east side of Scott)

Breaks my heart to be ignored by someone as astute as CrackpotandGrovel.

As to your question @cspwal it would be beneficial for that lot to become a decent small grocery store. The new HEB at 288 & MacGregor will be great for the Third Ward as a whole, but a smaller-footprint place could be very successful at McGowen & Scott.

Given the history of Houston, though, it's more likely to be a nail shop and a liquor store.

• Like 1