Sign in to follow this  
trymahjong

4420 Emancipation Ave at Rosewood

I was searching for a forum for postings on 3 rd Ward — guess it’s still in works?

Anyway I was wondering if there was any information on new construction at NW corner of Rosewood at Emancipation?

• Like 1

From Swamplot in February on construction o 4420 Emancipation Ave near Rosewood St in Houston.

Construction appears to have picked up lately on the not-yet-named bar going up on the corner of Emancipation Ave and Rosewood St., according to the photo at top sent in by a Swamplot reader. The new structure is across the street from longstanding Third Ward watering hole Dbar and its adjacent parking lot. (Formerly known as Dowling Street Lounge, Dbar did away with that name around the same time that Dowling St. became Emancipation Ave.)

The new build on the west side of the street looks to include a few parking spots of its own on both Emancipation and Rosewood. One casualty of the work so far: the sign shown above telling truckers not to use Rosewood as a thru-street to the 288 feeder, which runs one block west of the construction site.

http://swamplot.com/new-third-ward-bar-brewing-on-emancipation-across-from-an-old-standard/2019-02-08/

qZs2Opq.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sparkle's Hamburger Spot is moving from 1515 Emancipation Ave in EaDo. There is a banner announcing the move to Third Ward at  4420 Emancipation Ave. The name will be Sparkle's Burger & Daiquiri Spot.

From Instagram:

JYFG2HC.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwFArwjHEGl/

And a coming soon banner at the new location:

RpMRa9H.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

I wonder if this is a sign that the block where they are located currently at Leeland and Emancipation in EaDo is about to be developed. It certainly has a lot of potential. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thread about 4420 Emancipation Ave in Houston is posted in the Third Ward Area forum.

Photos were posted last month that this would be Sparkle's Burger & Daiquiri Spot.

Here is the thread in the forum:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/44808-4420-emancipation-ave/

my bad.  I sent @editor and @Triton a message about moving post I identified from here to that forum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeerNut said:

my bad.  I sent @editor and @Triton a message about moving post I identified from here to that forum.

Done. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Wow a lot of bars seemed to be going in all along Emancipation.

There has always been several bars along Emancipation.  What other new bars are you referring?

I guess the keywords “several along Emancipation “ tell most of th3 story.

I have attended local Civic club meets as well as bigger neighborhood meeting and those bars all always front and center of topic discussion. None of these discussions are positive. When construction started on Sparkles everyone held their breath that another bar was coming. I’m not sure what impact “virgin” daiquiris will have on the neighborhoods dislike of bars.

When renovation started on the old Typewriter house as a high dollar restaurant ($40.00+ per plate)All neighbors vocally expressed their skepticism that another bait and switch was being perpetrated on them......roll out a concept of neighborhood eatery , to get all the permits required, then close and reopen as a bar.

Basically over and over neighbors want to know why so many bars and  so little new build of anything else.

18 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I guess the keywords “several along Emancipation “ tell most of th3 story.

I have attended local Civic club meets as well as bigger neighborhood meeting and those bars all always front and center of topic discussion. None of these discussions are positive. When construction started on Sparkles everyone held their breath that another bar was coming. I’m not sure what impact “virgin” daiquiris will have on the neighborhoods dislike of bars.

When renovation started on the old Typewriter house as a high dollar restaurant ($40.00+ per plate)All neighbors vocally expressed their skepticism that another bait and switch was being perpetrated on them......roll out a concept of neighborhood eatery , to get all the permits required, then close and reopen as a bar.

Basically over and over neighbors want to know why so many bars and  so little new build of anything else.

Bars tend to build near other bars because it makes economic sense and alcohol sales are extremely profitable as the margins are very high.   Nobody likes to say it but currently Third Ward doesn't have high enough average household income to support varied business along Emancipation.  Also there are few buildings along Emancipation that can be presupposed for restaurants or other retail.  This would require any new business to build a purpose fit building adding to the cost.  

• Like 1

You are correct. 

Still- Any new bar seems one too many to most residents.

The residents close the bars seem United to fight against any new bar.

the neighbors just don’t want new bars. I hear this over and over at public meetings.

With the recent  COH/MCC housing development at Cleaburne and 288and of course

the Emancipation Park improvement— the neighbor hood is hoping instead of more bars ; for established chains ( CVS, Walgreens,  Dominos, Papa Johns, Aldi’s, perhaps Walmart’s “ neighborhood Market or perhaps a Tide’s Dry cleaners )to come in and build.

Even  with the new HEB- the south western part of third ward is a food d.essert- more so when Fiesta changes.

I have two properties on Emancipation and am tired of all the trash from the bars littering the lawns. Going to put white picket fences soon to try and keep it off

@trymahjong Not sure if you saw your old post about Food Deserts but I added a map.   I'm not as familiar with the southwestern part of Third Ward but where would be a good place for a grocery store?

Is there any grocery stores north of blogett, east of Emancipation south of Elgin or west of Delano?

there is a lot big enough fora cVS or Walgreens Alabama between Emancipation and Live Oak, that small church on Live Oak owns it.

There is a big lot off Live Oak between Bolgett and Wentworth for a grocery store or up on Emancipation north of Elgin off Rosalie that could have a Walgreen and would be close to the new development off St Charles.

there is a lot of available land for just about anything—- I don’t understand why only bars seem to take a chance when it comes to locating in the southern part of third ward.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

Is there any grocery stores north of blogett, east of Emancipation south of Elgin or west of Delano?

there is a lot big enough fora cVS or Walgreens Alabama between Emancipation and Live Oak, that small church on Live Oak owns it.

There is a big lot off Live Oak between Bolgett and Wentworth for a grocery store or up on Emancipation north of Elgin off Rosalie that could have a Walgreen and would be close to the new development off St Charles.

there is a lot of available land for just about anything—- I don’t understand why only bars seem to take a chance when it comes to locating in the southern part of third ward.

Can you all please start another thread on this, please?

Let's keep this discussion of this thread on  4420 Emancipation Ave.

Of course

this thread should be used to raise awareness that the residents close by 4420 Emancipation are skeptical that the business labeled Sparkles Hamburgers and Daiquiris will remain so. Most residents have suspicions that new builds such as this go broke ( sometimes intentionally) and reopen as a bar.—- those same residents don’t want any more bars,

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, trymahjong said:

Of course

this thread should be used to raise awareness that the residents close by 4420 Emancipation are skeptical that the business labeled Sparkles Hamburgers and Daiquiris will remain so. Most residents have suspicions that new builds such as this go broke ( sometimes intentionally) and reopen as a bar.—- those same residents don’t want any more bars,

I agree and understand. But as you have posted and from what I know, there are more bars, restaurants and other businesses opening on Emancipation Ave. Many are from the same person or people. A discussion is necessary over the concern of existing and new bars and related businesses, but I think (and mods will agree) a new thread should be created for it.