Sparkle's Burger & Daiquiri Spot At 4420 Emancipation Ave.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thread about 4420 Emancipation Ave in Houston is posted in the Third Ward Area forum.

Photos were posted last month that this would be Sparkle's Burger & Daiquiri Spot.

Here is the thread in the forum:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/44808-4420-emancipation-ave/

my bad.  I sent @editor and @Triton a message about moving post I identified from here to that forum.

• Like 1

I guess the keywords “several along Emancipation “ tell most of th3 story.

I have attended local Civic club meets as well as bigger neighborhood meeting and those bars all always front and center of topic discussion. None of these discussions are positive. When construction started on Sparkles everyone held their breath that another bar was coming. I’m not sure what impact “virgin” daiquiris will have on the neighborhoods dislike of bars.

When renovation started on the old Typewriter house as a high dollar restaurant ($40.00+ per plate)All neighbors vocally expressed their skepticism that another bait and switch was being perpetrated on them......roll out a concept of neighborhood eatery , to get all the permits required, then close and reopen as a bar.

Basically over and over neighbors want to know why so many bars and  so little new build of anything else.

18 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I guess the keywords “several along Emancipation “ tell most of th3 story.

I have attended local Civic club meets as well as bigger neighborhood meeting and those bars all always front and center of topic discussion. None of these discussions are positive. When construction started on Sparkles everyone held their breath that another bar was coming. I’m not sure what impact “virgin” daiquiris will have on the neighborhoods dislike of bars.

When renovation started on the old Typewriter house as a high dollar restaurant ($40.00+ per plate)All neighbors vocally expressed their skepticism that another bait and switch was being perpetrated on them......roll out a concept of neighborhood eatery , to get all the permits required, then close and reopen as a bar.

Basically over and over neighbors want to know why so many bars and  so little new build of anything else.

Bars tend to build near other bars because it makes economic sense and alcohol sales are extremely profitable as the margins are very high.   Nobody likes to say it but currently Third Ward doesn't have high enough average household income to support varied business along Emancipation.  Also there are few buildings along Emancipation that can be presupposed for restaurants or other retail.  This would require any new business to build a purpose fit building adding to the cost.  

• Like 1

You are correct. 

Still- Any new bar seems one too many to most residents.

The residents close the bars seem United to fight against any new bar.

the neighbors just don’t want new bars. I hear this over and over at public meetings.

With the recent  COH/MCC housing development at Cleaburne and 288and of course

the Emancipation Park improvement— the neighbor hood is hoping instead of more bars ; for established chains ( CVS, Walgreens,  Dominos, Papa Johns, Aldi’s, perhaps Walmart’s “ neighborhood Market or perhaps a Tide’s Dry cleaners )to come in and build.

Even  with the new HEB- the south western part of third ward is a food d.essert- more so when Fiesta changes.

• The title was changed to 4420 Emancipation Ave at Rosewood

Is there any grocery stores north of blogett, east of Emancipation south of Elgin or west of Delano?

there is a lot big enough fora cVS or Walgreens Alabama between Emancipation and Live Oak, that small church on Live Oak owns it.

There is a big lot off Live Oak between Bolgett and Wentworth for a grocery store or up on Emancipation north of Elgin off Rosalie that could have a Walgreen and would be close to the new development off St Charles.

there is a lot of available land for just about anything—- I don’t understand why only bars seem to take a chance when it comes to locating in the southern part of third ward.

Of course

this thread should be used to raise awareness that the residents close by 4420 Emancipation are skeptical that the business labeled Sparkles Hamburgers and Daiquiris will remain so. Most residents have suspicions that new builds such as this go broke ( sometimes intentionally) and reopen as a bar.—- those same residents don’t want any more bars,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

“ tend to build near other bars because it makes economic sense and alcohol sales are extremely profitable as the margins are very high”

Did Sparkes obtain a liquor license? When community questioned the content of the Daiquiris, the reply was “ no alcohol in daiquiris.”

• 2 months later...

Sad to say I haven’t tried any Daiquiris to see if there is alcohol involved.Guess I’m not the only one “ not trying” if the empty parking around it are anything to go by.

i did notice that next door the remodeling has gone so far as to expos3 the brackets that support the roof over hang.

• The title was changed to 4420 Emancipation Ave. At Rosewood St.
  • 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Sparkle's Burger & Daiquiri Spot At 4420 Emancipation Ave.