houstontexasjack

212 Milam (the old Chase Motor Bank)

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Luminare, I was wondering when you were going to arrive with a 300 word post in which you pretentiously decide every question. We are obviously not talking about what is "legally" considered Pei's building, but whether merely having his name on it makes it worth preserving when it is not the highest and best use of some pretty valuable land and does not contribute to an urban historic district that is probably Houston's only walkable neighborhood. These, by the way, would be my reasons for razing it, not "just because I don't like it," and I think these are more than just the "values of today." I like how, as usual, you give a bunch of opinions but never commit yourself to either side of the question at hand, viz., "Should it be preserved or not?"

I tend to agree with H-Town Man here. Even if IM Pei designed it himself with some grand vision in mind, it's a completely unremarkable looking early 80s one-story commercial building with no significant Houston history to it, and it's not an efficient use of a parcel in downtown Houston in the 21st Century.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

I tend to agree with H-Town Man here. Even if IM Pei designed it himself with some grand vision in mind, it's a completely unremarkable looking early 80s one-story commercial building with no significant Houston history to it, and it's not an efficient use of a parcel in downtown Houston in the 21st Century.

Seconded 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:35 AM, Gator80 said:

I’m not in any hurry to see the bank building destroyed. I.M Pei designed it to be the child of the TCB Tower which was the father and the building building next door with the parking garage was the mother. That’s how he described it. They are a trio and were designed that way. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:19 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

kzKdkhh.jpg

I hope this is true, as it makes me feel a lot better about the swastika on the roof.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Been tracking this on the map. While performing some updates, I saw that this is now "under contract".

Anyone else have more info?

• Like 5