Sign in to follow this  
houstontexasjack

212 Milam: Old Chase Motor Bank Redevelopment

22 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

I tend to agree with H-Town Man here. Even if IM Pei designed it himself with some grand vision in mind, it's a completely unremarkable looking early 80s one-story commercial building with no significant Houston history to it, and it's not an efficient use of a parcel in downtown Houston in the 21st Century.

Seconded 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:35 AM, Gator80 said:

I’m not in any hurry to see the bank building destroyed. I.M Pei designed it to be the child of the TCB Tower which was the father and the building building next door with the parking garage was the mother. That’s how he described it. They are a trio and were designed that way. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:19 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

kzKdkhh.jpg

I hope this is true, as it makes me feel a lot better about the swastika on the roof.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I hope this is true, as it makes me feel a lot better about the swastika on the roof.

Chase must be in cahoots with Volkswagen. Occasionally, the mask slips. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-ceo/volkswagen-supervisory-board-condemns-ceos-ebit-macht-frei-remark-idUSKCN1QW2HC

• Haha 2

Been tracking this on the map. While performing some updates, I saw that this is now "under contract".

Anyone else have more info?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

It looks like this site closed this month and was sold to Woodbranch - the developer of Market Square Tower.  I would not be upset if there was another MST quality project here...

I guess the challenges are:

1- how to incorporate this with the bayou
2- how to construct around the corner of the bayou

3- street level activity yet built to withstand certain flooding in extreme floods

4- making the structure sound with flooding and eroding banks

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

It looks like this site closed this month and was sold to Woodbranch - the developer of Market Square Tower.  I would not be upset if there was another MST quality project here...

I assume that they haven't sold MST yet? That worries me slightly that they won't go very tall to preserve MST views.  That said, their MST investment (and this land investment) would both benefit from development here, so I wonder if they decide to go short to protect MST or just go tall as most views are going away with the Preston anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

I assume that they haven't sold MST yet? That worries me slightly that they won't go very tall to preserve MST views.  That said, their MST investment (and this land investment) would both benefit from development here, so I wonder if they decide to go short to protect MST or just go tall as most views are going away with the Preston anyway.

If the land sold for what it's worth, they will have to go tall in order to make a profit. Also, say the second building is as tall as the first, the apartments in the second building will have equally good views as the first building. So what you lose on the first, you gain on the second. They could also sell the current building before they build the second.

My worry is that it will have a crummy ground floor that doesn't add anything to Market Square, similar to MST. But GFR in that neighborhood is a more attractive proposition now than it was in 2014.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 7

I don't see how they would build something substantial on this block when portions of it are directly over the bayou.

13 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't see how they would build something substantial on this block when portions of it are directly over the bayou.

It would be interested to see how the parcel is platted and what kind of easement is there for the bayou. I would guess that it would be significantly more expensive to build something substantial there. 

I momentarily thought maybe someone could incorporate a patio or something down by the bank, but he bayou isn't particularly well suited for alfresco/waterside ambiance, to say nothing of hardening your structure/décor for flood resistance. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

It would be interested to see how the parcel is platted and what kind of easement is there for the bayou. I would guess that it would be significantly more expensive to build something substantial there. 

I momentarily thought maybe someone could incorporate a patio or something down by the bank, but he bayou isn't particularly well suited for alfresco/waterside ambiance, to say nothing of hardening your structure/décor for flood resistance. 

buttt.......... wouldn't it be awesome if they did make it a cool little spot? I know flooding yada yada but I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if we had that along the bayou

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

You don't need a full block of land to build something tall. Most of our taller skyscrapers are built on less than a full block. The Preston is going up on half a block.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Have you been to the Dunlavy?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

How deep has the water gotten on that property during our worst floods?

I would assume fairly deep.  That should change when the white oak bypass is complete but they would need to plan for that contingency either way I would think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nate99 said:

My prediction is that Woodbranch's next project will have a glass-bottom pool projecting over the bayou right above the last high water mark, so when it floods you can swim out and see the hubcaps, tree branches, and water moccasins go right underneath you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

How deep has the water gotten on that property during our worst floods?

Probably not at the peak of flooding during Harvey. Notice the roof of the drive throughs

aBMZZE7.jpg.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

Probably not at the peak of flooding during Harvey. Notice the roof of the drive throughs

aBMZZE7.jpg.

Pretty sure there was water lapping the curbs at the other side of Market Square at one point, so whatever the drop off is across the square, that is probably how much deeper it was.

Considering how deep they dig for the basements on a highrise, adding ten feet or so for the ground floor level really isn't rocket science. I'm not worried.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Avossos said:

buttt.......... wouldn't it be awesome if they did make it a cool little spot? I know flooding yada yada but I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if we had that along the bayou

21 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Have you been to the Dunlavy?

I think this is what I originally had in mind, but the banks of the Bayou downtown right there are really fairly steep, I don't know if there would be enough room unless...

18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

My prediction is that Woodbranch's next project will have a glass-bottom pool projecting over the bayou right above the last high water mark, so when it floods you can swim out and see the hubcaps, tree branches, and water moccasins go right underneath you.

...you did something like that.  It would have a certain "charm" that couldn't be replicated elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Pretty sure there was water lapping the curbs at the other side of Market Square at one point, so whatever the drop off is across the square, that is probably how much deeper it was.

Considering how deep they dig for the basements on a highrise, adding ten feet or so for the ground floor level really isn't rocket science. I'm not worried.

Watching the engineering for something like that come together would be really cool in this spot.