Sign in to follow this  
scarface

About MAIN Street (Houston, Missouri City, Stafford)

Posted (edited)

Hello,

It's been a long time since I posted on HAIF, but i have what might seem like a silly question, so i apologize in advance.

I was involved in a discussion with a lady about Main Street and if the entire stretch of Main, all the way until where it becomes a freeway, all the way past the beltway is all the same (MAIN).  Her claim was that the Main st in Stafford is a different Main that runs through the downtown core of Houston, even though it is technically the same roadway.

My question is: Is it still Main St south past 610? Because I noticed that once you cross BW8 heading south into Missouri city, the signs just say US90 for a few miles, then once you enter Stafford (such as @ 1092/Murphy rd), it splits  and the signs say N. MAIN on one side and then S. MAIN on the other. 

So my ultimate question Is this all the same Main? ( main st stafford and  same one that main st downtown?) Because its weird that people refer to it as just 90 along the freeway stretch like it's not still Main, then in Stafford, it picks back up and becomes "Main" again until you pass Murphy road.

Just need some clarity. 

Thanks

Edited by scarface

They are the same road in the same sense that FM 1093 and Westheimer are.  

Actually 90A departs from Houston's South Main when it turns onto OST, and ultimately Wayside, before joining US 90 / Interstate 10.

Thanks for that response. 

My confusion is,

The lady I got in the discussion with was trying to tell me that section of the US90A stretch where its called " MAIN STREET "in Stafford (south of Present Street until Murphy rd/1092) is different from the "MAIN STREET " just north of Beltway 8 into Houston where it runs along the same US Hwy 90 stretch.

It's different in that each "Main St" is in a different town (Stafford and Houston) but it is really the same road.  This is actually a fairly common occurrence across the state as the older highways linked small towns together and were a major street in each one.  Sometimes they go by names other than "Main" but each town tends to rename the highway to something as it passes through.

Posted (edited)

Stafford's Main Street is South Main Street, which would arguably be different than (bisected) Main or North Main. All depends if the addresses are contiguous.

Edited by IronTiger

That's what the lady was trying to tell me in our discussion the other day. I was confused because Simplicity tells me to just call it all main st from N. 610, downtown, museum district, TMC, Astrodome all the way down to about Murphy road in stafford.

It's all the same road and didn't quite understand her adamant need to make Main Street (STAFFORD) so distinctly different from Main Street (HOUSTON)

Sounds like a situation where the best thing to do is smile and nod, thinking (but not saying) "bless your heart." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

Sounds like a situation where the best thing to do is smile and nod, thinking (but not saying) "bless your heart." 

Wiser words were never said.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:40 AM, august948 said:

It's different in that each "Main St" is in a different town (Stafford and Houston) but it is really the same road.  This is actually a fairly common occurrence across the state as the older highways linked small towns together and were a major street in each one.  Sometimes they go by names other than "Main" but each town tends to rename the highway to something as it passes through.

right, and in that the "1000 block of main street" exists in 3 different towns, along the same road.