Rye Heights: 7-Story Multifamily At 1111 W. 23rd St.

Urbannizer

https://www.edi-international.com/beall-street-heights

Constructed of 5-story wood frame over a 2-story cast-in-place concrete structure, this project includes 209 apartment units ranging in size from 416 to 1,949 SF and 273 parking spaces. Sited on 1.7 acres at 122 DU/AC, the project is currently in the Design phase.

PERSPECTIVE++LKG++NW.jpg?format=2500w

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Utilizing @Triton google earth investigation techniques I'm placing this guy on Beall Street between W 23rd and W 24th street. From the maps there's currently a warehouse there.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Luminare said:

Utilizing @Triton google earth investigation techniques I'm placing this guy on Beall Street between W 23rd and W 24th street. From the maps there's currently a warehouse there.

Hmm I think you're correct, the site is under contract.

2315beall-web-1024x710.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:34 PM, Urbannizer said:

https://www.edi-international.com/beall-street-heights (archive link)

Brochure:
 https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58f2452ed482e960c003ea3e/t/5c8941f3eb39310dc2feed57/1552499187756/Beall+Street+Heights.pdf (archive link)

Constructed of 5-story wood frame over a 2-story cast-in-place concrete structure, this project includes 209 apartment units ranging in size from 416 to 1,949 SF and 273 parking spaces. Sited on 1.7 acres at 122 DU/AC, the project is currently in the Design phase.

X2ypikY.jpg

More renderings of Beall Street Heights multifamily residences / multifamily apartments from EDI International.

fBSfRUU.jpg

AgvAh8A.jpg

SrH9fxw.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Luminare said:

2315 Beall St

±1.50 Acres at Beall Street & W. 23 rd   Street in the Heights  

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2315-Beall-St-Houston-TX/12126313/ (archive link)

Brochure:
 https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/CJq-iNzpE2id7zpuBhN39kf2wgHe-wcmwNrxfDkQEIk/document.pdf (archive link)

KqeztdV.jpg

48fyPee.jpg

On 7/2/2019 at 3:30 AM, Urbannizer said:

2315 Beall St - 1.5 Acres

Property Details

• 2315 Beall St,
  • 1125 W 23rd St
  • 1129 W 23rd St

Building Information

• Type Industrial - Warehouse/Storage
  • Year Built 1974
  • Total Size 20,000 Sf

https://dmre.com/property/2315-beall-st/ (archive link)

VcvhTDf.jpg

eiIPSAK.jpg

W6lu21A.jpg

zNq5R22.jpg

38xnvyB.jpg

p7N8veI.jpg

@Luminare is right.  Beall Street Heights from EDI International is going to built at the corner of Beall St and W 23rd St in Shady Acres.

Price Development Group , listed on the Beal Street Heights flyer , submitted a replat to the city of Houston Planning Commission in February for Price Group Development Heights. The future multifamily residential is shown where the Label Products warehouse is located at 2315 Beall St.

6PWlgef.jpg

ympqrqE.jpg
(direct link to full size, non-compressed image)

UVAkpot.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 3:30 AM, Urbannizer said:

2315beall-web-1024x710.jpg

Dosch Marshall Real Estate  ( DMRE ) closed on the 1.5 acres lot at Beall St and West 23rd St in Shady Acres in early October. 

The lot includes:

2315 Beall St,
1125 W 23rd St
1129 W 23rd St

PDG Heights LLC ( Price Development Group ) is listed as the purchaser.

So, maybe in early 2020 work will begin on Beall Street Heights.

nU32jSG.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

https://theleadernews.com/seven-story-apartment-complex-planned-for-shady-acres/

There is not much there at the moment, just a big fence surrounding an old warehouse, some old homes and a vacant lot.

But some nearby Shady Acres residents are concerned about what could be coming.

According to a description and series of artist renderings on the website for EDI International, a Houston-based architecture, interior design and planning firm, the vision is to construct a seven-story apartment complex for Price Development Group. Beall Street Heights, the name of the project at the northwest corner of Beall Street and West 23rd Street, calls for 209 apartment units ranging in size from 416 to 1,949 square feet along with 273 parking spaces on a 1.7-acre plot of land.

“No one in the neighborhood wants it, obviously,” said Ethan Etzel, a nearby homeowner in Shady Acres. “It’s just in the middle of a residential area, not close to anything. I think that’s what makes everyone mad.”

EDI International, along with Price Development Group’s Kansas City office, did not return phone messages seeking comment. According to the Harris County Appraisal District website, much of the fenced-in property was purchased by Kansas City-based PDG Heights LLC in early October.

The fenced-in area includes 2315 Beall St., a 43,500-square foot property that housed a former business called Label Products, along with adjoining residential addresses 1125 W. 23rd St., 1129 W. 23rd St. and 1133 W. 23rd St. The total area is 74,280 square feet, and HCAD values the land at $3.15 million.

Etzel and Adam Helleberg, another nearby homeowner in Shady Acres, said they expect new development in the Heights area and understand that the neighborhood is ever-evolving. But they question the feasibility of a seven-story apartment complex in an already high-traffic area in proximity to single-family residences as well as a school.

“It’s weird to see apartments going there,” Helleberg said. “It seems like a screwy thing where they’re trying to put a round peg in a square hole.”

Homeowners such as Etzel and Helleberg might have to get used to the idea.

The City of Houston allows property owners to apply for a Special Minimum Lot Size Area, which serves as a zoning tool in a city without zoning laws by requiring undeveloped land to adhere to uniform lot-size parameters and uses, such as single-family residential. But a Houston real estate attorney said the area including the planned apartment complex might not qualify for such an ordinance, because it includes homes of varying sizes along with a lot that has long been used for industrial purposes.

“I think the intent of the Special Minimum Lot Size ordinance is to preserve the prevailing lot size character where it exists,” said Omar Izfar of Wilson Cribbs + Goren. “And fractured and transitioning block faces that are in the middle of being redeveloped are less ideal candidates for that type of protection.”

• Like 6

On 11/8/2019 at 2:40 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

6PWlgef.jpg

ympqrqE.jpg

Hmm, the map doesn't match the plat. The map shows this on the intersection with Durham, not Beall. Somebody messed up.

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

Lots of negative comments on this on Next Door lately. Probably not much the unhappy people can do, since this was light industrial before, and the owners are not likely to support a minimum lot size application.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Kind of an unfortunate quote here, "It seems like a screwy thing where they’re trying to put a round peg in a square hole." However, when paired with the loophole in this ordinance, its actually hilarious "But a Houston real estate attorney said the area including the planned apartment complex might not qualify for such an ordinance, because it includes homes of varying sizes along with a lot that has long been used for industrial purposes." Of course, the person probably actually wanted to say square peg in a round hole, but instead said the reverse, yet in a cruel twist it actually describes the project and situation perfectly, since technically a round peg (the apartment complex) can go through a square hole (the ordinance in question) even though technically the hole is for square pegs (single family houses/townhomes).

Edited by Luminare
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ross said:

Lots of negative comments on this on Next Door lately. 

When are there ever *not* lots of negative comments on Nextdoor? It's like the inverse of Twitter - both are self-perpetuating outrage machines, but instead of a highly vocal population of hyper-woke millennials and Gen Z-ers dominating the hivemind discourse, you have a highly vocal population of cranky, ladder-pulling boomers who only manage to tear themselves away from monitoring their Nest cameras for non-Caucasian passersby long enough to post inquiries as to whether anyone else heard gunshots in the area. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 11/23/2019 at 11:26 PM, Luminare said:

Kind of an unfortunate quote here, "It seems like a screwy thing where they’re trying to put a round peg in a square hole." However, when paired with the loophole in this ordinance, its actually hilarious "But a Houston real estate attorney said the area including the planned apartment complex might not qualify for such an ordinance, because it includes homes of varying sizes along with a lot that has long been used for industrial purposes." Of course, the person probably actually wanted to say square peg in a round hole, but instead said the reverse, yet in a cruel twist it actually describes the project and situation perfectly, since technically a round peg (the apartment complex) can go through a square hole (the ordinance in question) even though technically the hole is for square pegs (single family houses/townhomes).

Yeah that’s exactly what I took away from it too. 🙄 

Surely no one in your life has ever accused you of being condescending? Would that be a round peg in a square hole?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As someone literally across the street (from where this project is being built) for the last 8 years after moving into a pretty well gentrified neighborhood already (want to correct Angostura's timeline of "5" years) I do wonder how the streets will accommodate the traffic increase (already bad going from 1 house to 6 townhomes and now this). My main concern is parking - I hope they build sufficient resident and guest parking because street parking is already an issue here.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, residentsss said:

As someone literally across the street (from where this project is being built) for the last 8 years after moving into a pretty well gentrified neighborhood already (want to correct Angostura's timeline of "5" years) I do wonder how the streets will accommodate the traffic increase (already bad going from 1 house to 6 townhomes and now this). My main concern is parking - I hope they build sufficient resident and guest parking because street parking is already an issue here.

If the first post in the thread is accurate, it'll have 273 parking spaces, which is probably what the city minimums require (1.33 per 1BR, 1.67 per 2BR). 

If every single one of these 273 spots is filled, and they all leave for work between 6 and 8AM, that's about one car every 26 seconds. Seeing as how not all these cars will go the same direction, it's maybe an extra car per minute on surrounding streets.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, residentsss said:

People buying trucks too big to fit in their townhome garages?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Beall Street Heights: 7-Story Multifamily
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...