Intercontinental Terminals Company fire

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Deer-Park-plant-fire-spreads-to-five-more-tanks-13696392.php
" A Deer Park monitor near the fire site has been malfunctioning since about 5 a.m. Monday, [Harris County Judge Lina] Hidalgo said, and has not been providing information."
Just at the time when it's most needed, an air pollution monitor malfunctions. At this time (per KTRK 13 News) it still hasn't been repaired.

16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Deer-Park-plant-fire-spreads-to-five-more-tanks-13696392.php
" A Deer Park monitor near the fire site has been malfunctioning since about 5 a.m. Monday, [Harris County Judge Lina] Hidalgo said, and has not been providing information."
Just at the time when it's most needed, an air pollution monitor malfunctions. At this time (per KTRK 13 News) it still hasn't been repaired.

I wonder how often these monitors malfunction? I wonder how soon after the fire stops that the monitor will be repaired?

"It broke!" *wink wink*

:(

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/channel-2-investigates-air-quality-monitoring-amid-deer-park-fire

I don't think Lina Hidalgo is going to get a second term.

58 minutes ago, samagon said:

I wonder how often these monitors malfunction? I wonder how soon after the fire stops that the monitor will be repaired?

"It broke!" *wink wink*

Should we be relying on TCEQ or Harris County to provide accurate information?  There should probably be more citizen/private monitoring considering the money at stake.  Would possibly provide a more accurate air quality map, accounting for wind, varying sources, sensor drift, etc.

this should be a government operation.

more rightly, this should be an operation that each company undertakes, and the government fines them for any gaps in data. 

the monitoring equipment, for you and I is expensive. for a petro company, they are cheap.

1 hour ago, BeerNut said:

Should we be relying on TCEQ or Harris County to provide accurate information?  There should probably be more citizen/private monitoring considering the money at stake.  Would possibly provide a more accurate air quality map, accounting for wind, varying sources, sensor drift, etc.

We should be able to rely on TCEQ and Harris County both for accurate information, considering that the way that we pool our resources in order to do things that are too big for any one or ten of us, and to have a neutral gatekeeper / regulator, is something called "government." 

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Sinclair Lewis

Then again, that would require giving them the resources to do so instead of having to rely on the money fairy.

"I like to pay taxes.  With them I buy civilization." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

The air monitoring sites on the web are generally looking at ozone and ozone precursors.  The biggest issue from the smoke plume is particulates.    Look for sites monitoring PM 2.5 to get readings on particulates.  Toxic emissions are most likely to be an issue for those closest to the fire as toxics tend to be heavier than air and do not travel very far.  

So far, we are very lucky that this is happening when there are strong enough air currents to lift the soot and disperse it far and wide, but not so windy that the fire gets completely out of control.  If this was the middle of summer under high pressure with calm winds, it could be a completely different story.

Archived