Anthills Biking Trails to Be Destroyed

Yeah...I ride at Terry Hershey all the time too since it's also within easy biking distance.  But since they were unofficial trails built by bikers, maybe they will rise again in some other form once the work is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Aw man, that sucks, Terry Hershey is practically my backyard, and I enjoy the Anthills a lot. And it's not just that these paths won't be there anymore, it also means they're going to do some serious resurfacing here that will change the nature of that stretch of the park. It's going to be less nature, more manicured. And if they're doing it there, they're sure to be doing it in other segments. And I love how the announcement makes a big deal about the Anthills having been created "without written permission and without compensation to the public" when the park's official website promotes the Anthills.

You may be right about it being more manicured.  I noticed that they've cleaned it up a bit further down where they were working on the main trail east of Kirkwood.  Now in places they've cleared the trees so you can see the bayou.  I like that as it reminds me of a nice trail I used to walk/ride along the Chattahooche in Atlanta years ago, but I can see how that sucks if you're a mtb rider.  I'll bet, though, someone will come up with something "independently" again somewhere.  There's a lot of woods at George Bush park where a trail might be carved out.

Archived