Café Bustelo Pop-Up At 3615 Montrose Blvd.

august948

On 3/9/2019 at 10:04 PM, august948 said:

If you like Cafe Bustelo, this will be up your alley.  March 12 through May 25.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/3/7/18254778/cafe-bustelo-cafehouston-pop-up

Finally!
It's been ~ 15 years since The River Cafe bit the dust. Sad, that this very desirable piece of property has lain fallow for so long.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:05 PM, dbigtex56 said:

Finally!
It's been ~ 15 years since The River Cafe bit the dust. Sad, that this very desirable piece of property has lain fallow for so long.

I really miss River Cafe, that was a favorite brunch spot for me circa 2000.

Cafe Bustelo is my brand of choice, made in my Bialetti Mokka Express, so I am going to have to check this popup out.

1 hour ago, Reefmonkey said:

I really miss River Cafe, that was a favorite brunch spot for me circa 2000.

Cafe Bustelo is my brand of choice, made in my Bialetti Mokka Express, so I am going to have to check this popup out.

How's it turn out as an espresso?  I've only used their k-cups so far to make a quick and dirty faux flat white.  Haven't tried running the ground version through my espresso machine yet.

16 hours ago, Reefmonkey said:

I alternated between a Bialetti and a Krups Espresso Mini for years. Bialettis are great - it's hard to beat the reliability of something that has almost no moving parts. Now I'm using a regular Hamilton Beach drip coffeemaker (the model that Wirecutter recommends as a budget pick) with Bustelo. It makes a full-sized cup of coffee that's considerably stronger and more flavorful than American-style coffee. 

As far as Latin coffee brands go, Cafe La Llave is a nice occasional alternative to Bustelo, but it's pretty hard to find in stores (Target is the only place I've been able to find it locally, and even there it's hit and miss). It's a bit more subtle and not as in-your-face as Bustelo. 

I'll have to go check out the popup and have a cafecito. One of my closest friends is Cuban and I grew up on a steady diet of Bustelo-based cafecitos that his mother would brew for us when we were in high school, so I'm curious to see how the pop-up's version stacks up against that frame of reference. 

In general, I really like these pop up retail places. I think they are great ideas to getting easy entry into an existing market with new ideas lowered risk and barriers. However I did not like this place when they invaded Siphon last October. The whole experience just felt a bit fake and manufactured. Like I was on the set of a Hollywood movie and not inside a genuine coffee shop. Plus, adding sugar to an espresso is an insult to coffee.

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

In general, I really like these pop up retail places. I think they are great ideas to getting easy entry into an existing market with new ideas lowered risk and barriers. However I did not like this place when they invaded Siphon last October. The whole experience just felt a bit fake and manufactured. Like I was on the set of a Hollywood movie and not inside a genuine coffee shop. Plus, adding sugar to an espresso is an insult to coffee.

I think that's a staple in Cuba.  You may have just offended Cubans everywhere....

ThoseThriftyBlackbuck-poster.jpg

Stopped by there today to try it out.  They seem to be doing a brisk business.  Tried the colada (double cafecito).  It started out pretty good but by the time I got halfway through it the sweetness started to build up.  I finished it but probably won't have another.  My wife the sugar fiend would love it, though.  I'll probably go back at some point and try the the cafe con leche which might cut the sugar to a more acceptable level for me.

I like the overall concept of a cafe in a shipping container.  Went upstairs and sat on the roof.  On a hot day that would probably get unbearable, but today it was really, really nice.

• 2 months later...

Interesting appraisal history on this property

WB0o6PS.png

At current appraisal, that's $2,400/month for property tax. Have to feel that with Cafe Bustelo was able to make some of that back for them. 

That would be a great spot for a food truck park if they weren't effectively against the law here if vehicles aren't mobile. 

I live 2 blocks away from this and to me the Cafe Bustelo was a hit. I only went after my early runs to HEB on Sundays because I'm not going to stand in a long line for anything but it was immensely popular. The owners of the property need to continue with the Pop Ups till they decide what to do with the property.

18 hours ago, hindesky said:

I live 2 blocks away from this and to me the Cafe Bustelo was a hit. I only went after my early runs to HEB on Sundays because I'm not going to stand in a long line for anything but it was immensely popular. The owners of the property need to continue with the Pop Ups till they decide what to do with the property.

Honestly at this point, anything would be an improvement to that side of Montrose. Its such a deadzone in terms of commercial activity. I remember living in First Montrose Commons and was like "where is everything at?" Don't get me wrong, there are a few things around, but compared to other parts its just not happenin' right now.

46 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Honestly at this point, anything would be an improvement to that side of Montrose. Its such a deadzone in terms of commercial activity. I remember living in First Montrose Commons and was like "where is everything at?" Don't get me wrong, there are a few things around, but compared to other parts its just not happenin' right now.

I wonder how the tech innovation hub they’re constructing at the old Sears will change this part of Montrose. I’m seeing a lot of lots for sale for a $1m right near there (for example, on Jack St next to the former Brooklyn Athletic Club), so I’m not sure if speculators are anticipating a huge pop soon.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, clutchcity94 said:

I wonder how the tech innovation hub they’re constructing at the old Sears will change this part of Montrose. I’m seeing a lot of lots for sale for a $1m right near there (for example, on Jack St next to the former Brooklyn Athletic Club), so I’m not sure if speculators are anticipating a huge pop soon.

Its possible. Never say never, right? However, from my experience, the spur really is the defining separation between Montrose and Midtown. Its like you are crossing into two completely different worlds. I'm sure there will be spill over, but its going to be more of a midtown thing than a Montrose thing. Now bring a BRT or LRT and then that might change. 

• The title was changed to Café Bustelo Turned A Shipping Container Into A Coffee Shop For This Pop-Up
  • The title was changed to Café Bustelo Pop-Up At 3615 Montrose Blvd.

Archived