Domain Heights: Multifamily At 401 W. 25th St.

Angostura

This is the large double-block bounded by Nicholson, Rutland, 25th and 26th, as well as the block bounded by Ashland, Rutland, 24th and 25th.

In the last week or so, a trailer has been deposited on this land, on the 26th St side, right across from Ashland St, and the big for sale sign has come down.  Any news on what might be happening here?

There's currently a LOT of residential construction going on within 3-4 blocks of this site.

• Like 1

This is the large double-block bounded by Nicholson, Rutland, 25th and 26th, as well as the block bounded by Ashland, Rutland, 24th and 25th.

In the last week or so, a trailer has been deposited on this land, on the 26th St side, right across from Ashland St, and the big for sale sign has come down.  Any news on what might be happening here?

There's currently a LOT of residential construction going on within 3-4 blocks of this site.

The construction trailer looks to be for the townhome construction going on just north of the site.  It is called "Ashland Square" and will have something like 16 units.  There was a banner for the townhomes hung up on the trailer this weekend. 

I would suspect that whoever holds that land is going to wait for some of the recent spurt of new construction to get absorbed by the market before making a move.  The biggest problem with building out a huge site like that inside the loop is that you end pushing up inventory and competing against yourself, especially if you go dense like Uptown Homes is doing at 27th and Harvard where the elementary school used to be. 

The townhouse development on the NW corner of Ashland and 26th is actually called Villas-something.

Looks like Ashland Square is actually the single-home development on the lot bordered by 26th, 27th, Ashland and Nicholson.  Website here.  This land WAS originally part of the NFF site.

Lot numbers of this page correspond to the lot numbers of those lots on HCAD maps.  Looks lot a total of 23 houses are planned for this phase. 

Houses look to be 2-story, single-family on pier-and-beam with detached alley-facing garages on 25-ft frontage. No square footages listed on the site, but they floor plans are 3/2.5 and 4/4 (4th BR down), probably from a little above 2000 s.f. to a little under 3000. Nothing on HAR yet, but the signage indicates pricing from the mid $500's

The trailer on the larger piece of land also now has an Ashland Square decal on it (facing south, not facing 26th St.) so presumably the development will include that site as well after some re-platting.  At the same frontage per house, they could get something like 106 of these houses on the larger block. Assuming they average $550 per house, that makes this a $70MM development.

Note that these are virtually identical in size (structure and lot) to the houses on 17th that Rohe and Wright are asking 50% more for.  Granted 17th is better than 26th, but maybe not $300k better.

The trailer on the larger piece of land also now has an Ashland Square decal on it (facing south, not facing 26th St.) so presumably the development will include that site as well after some re-platting.  At the same frontage per house, they could get something like 106 of these houses on the larger block. Assuming they average $550 per house, that makes this a $70MM development.

Note that these are virtually identical in size (structure and lot) to the houses on 17th that Rohe and Wright are asking 50% more for.  Granted 17th is better than 26th, but maybe not $300k better.

The giant tract between 25th/26th Nicholson/Rutland is owned by Height Block 39 LLC.  The Ashland Square property is owned by 501 Heights, Inc.  They look to be separate and distinct entities as best as I can tell.  Unless the folks behind Ashland Square have purchased the tract to the larger tract to the south, it would be a bit too soon to presume that Ashland Square is going to be anything other that what it is advertised to be. 

Rohe and Wright are pushing the envelope a bit with their pricing, but they do build very high end stuff.  I also think Ashland Square is pricing themselves a bit optimistically, but that is what builders do.  But, there is a night and day difference between W. 26th and W. 18th.  The road noise from 610 is significant on W. 26th, but hardly an issue on W. 18th.  The Rohe and Wright houses will be close enough to everything on 19th street that you can walk there without breaking a sweat.  W. 26th is far enough that on hot days you would have to jump in the car to avoid arriving at Torchy's all torched by the sun. 

• 6 months later...

Snapped this pic yesterday afternoon. Looks like all be the last few houses between 26th and 27th are sold. Presumably the second phase is the south face of 26th. It also looks like the price point is going up from the high $500's to the (presumably) low $700's.

Ashland%20Square%20small.jpg

No details on the site or on HAR yet.

Yes, HCAD now shows an entity with the same address as Drake's office in the Heights as the owner of the large tract on the south side of 26th street.  But that site is not the old National Flame and Forge site.  That was a different and smaller steel mill that was demoed a few years after National Flame and Forge.  The National Flame and Forge site is still held by NFF Realty, LLC. 

If Drake gets 600-700k for 25 units in there phase II, I could see them having the finances to keep going on the National Flame and Forge site.  But, that is really up to whoever is behind NFF Realty, LLC.  If I was running NFF Realty, LLC or whoever is going to develop the land, I would wait a year or two.  There is a decent amount of new construction going on right now, but land is running out very quickly.  All things constant, the developer of the old National Flame and Forge site will pretty much corner the market on new construction in the Heights by the time they get around to developing the site.  Patience in real estate pays big dividends in a strong market.

I've always assumed the tracts were related since they shut down and cleared out around the same time, but looking at the HCAD records, they ARE separately owned.

It looks like it'll cover from the house on the corner of Nicholson and 26th (which faces Nicholson) to just past Ashland on the south side of 26th. That's probably 25-30 houses, assuming they keep the frontage at about 25-ft, about one quarter of that double block.

The remainder of that double block, and the single block south of 25th is potentially a further 100 houses.

I don't think these ever went on MLS, but this new-build a few blocks away is virtually identical in size and lot size. It sat on the market for six months last year at $569k, then relisted last month and sold for $100k more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
45 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I ride down 25th St almost every time I go to the Heights, I love checking out the "Row On 25th" actually used them for one of my Bike Tag finds. I wonder which empty area they will use? The one north of 25th or the one south of 25th.  

zcrEIQ8.jpg

It will be the area north of 25th St.

• Like 3

This has been vacant for a long time. A request to re-plat the site south of 25th as a single reserve was submitted in 2014, but HCAD only shows ownership history on that parcel from 2017, so it may have been more recent. 

The plots on the north face of 25th total $10.6M in appraised value, and $7.8M on the south face, which is a lot to pay taxes on while waiting for land value to appreciate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I'd be wary of the one part of the property that has/had a Corrosion Protection business for years.

http://www.corrosionpp.com

I was kind of surprised  when those townhomes went up next to this business. Seems like a brownfield to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownfield_land

I'm with you. However, lots of folks will think "they wouldn't let them build here if it wasn't safe". Personally, I am not going to live on the former site of a forging company, corrosion protection, electroplating, or other polluting business.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ross said:

I'm with you. However, lots of folks will think "they wouldn't let them build here if it wasn't safe". Personally, I am not going to live on the former site of a forging company, corrosion protection, electroplating, or other polluting business.

I'm with you just look in to the whole Love canal disaster. 

• Like 2

The corrosion shop still appears to be working, another empty building next to it and a vacant house on the corner. All these are on the northeast corner, I wonder if they will be part of this future project? Saw some survey paint on the ground on the east side. It's a huge lot if they use the whole area.

LagLa4o.jpg

o1lQgsD.jpg

0rVdx3O.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...