Remember "Johnny Football"?

Reefmonkey

I remember 5 years ago the furor that surrounded the Texans' decision not to pick up Johnny Manziel, including Tony Buzbee's billboard on the Pierce Elevated. So I very much enjoy hearing about what a bullet our city dodged by not having this overhyped embarrassment be associated with our city:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/translating-bill-obriens-combine-press-conference-11239004

Johnny Manziel, fresh off his first season in Montreal as a member of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, has been not only released by the team, but barred from signing with any other CFL team.

As we try and connect the dots for what may have triggered the CFL's jettisoning of Manziel, we must note the issues in his past. First, Manziel has been to rehab multiple times for substance abuse. In fact, his tenure in Cleveland was marked with repeated oversleeping of meetings and general disregard for professionalism. In his years off from football in 2016 and 2017, Manziel repeatedly showed up on social media in all corners of the world looking like a drug-addled zombie. Additionally, in 2016, a domestic assault charge against Manziel in Dallas was dismissed after he took an anger management course and participated in the NFL's substance abuse program.

26 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

I remember 5 years ago the furor that surrounded the Texans' decision not to pick up Johnny Manziel, including Tony Buzbee's billboard on the Pierce Elevated. So I very much enjoy hearing about what a bullet our city dodged by not having this overhyped embarrassment be associated with our city:

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/translating-bill-obriens-combine-press-conference-11239004

A very good point.  A lot of questionable decisions have been made in Texas over the years regarding football.  Glad we missed out on this one at least.

Archived