I've looked everywhere on this site for a post about this, but haven't been able to find anything. With this being one of the more important monuments in the city I feel this should be in going up.

From the HoustonChronicle:

Neighbors in the Menil enclave were surprised and dismayed Monday to see one of the Houston neighborhood’s famous gray bungalows being dismantled by a reclamation crew.

That building and several around it are owned by the Rothko Chapel, whose board has launched a multi-phase, $30 million campaign to better define its two-acre campus and improve visitor experiences to the legendary sacred space, one of the world’s most important public art sites.

Construction begins early next year on the first of three new buildings on Sul Ross; and the chapel will be closed for major renovations during much of next year, beginning March 4.

Read more about which homes will be removed, what will take their place and how these renovations could affect how you see the Chapel’s famous art at houstonchronicle.com.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/Why-will-the-Rothko-Chapel-be-closed-for-much-of-13455462.php#photo-16627134

Architecture Research Office (ARO) is the Architect.

Another article from Texas Architect:

https://txamagazine.org/2017/01/06/aro-working-renovation-master-plan-houstons-rothko-chapel/

To better serve as a venue for large groups, the chapel’s board, which is chaired by Rothko’s son, Christopher Rothko, decided it was time for an update.

“Their mission really encompasses both contemplation, which is the experience of being within the chapel, and action,” says Adam Yarinsky, FAIA, ARO principal and co-founder. “The impetus behind the project comes from trying to strengthen both of those aspects behind their mission. There has always been an issue with light levels within the chapel and creating better control of daylight within the space, so that’s [one] goal.”

In addition to improving the lighting, ARO will upgrade interior acoustics, address aesthetic differences between the walls and ceiling, and update weatherproofing and security systems. A new structure on the site will accommodate guest services, conferences, meetings, administrative spaces, and guest housing for visiting artists and scholars — leaving the chapel itself as a quiet, contemplative space. “The goal is to preserve an experience,” Yarinsky says. “Any adjustments made must be very carefully considered so you’re not changing any quality the chapel has now.”

Bpvbn3R.jpg

guLz5i5.jpg

awlpl5J.jpg

JVaqpbd.jpg

The Rothko Chapel master plan pdf:

http://rothkochapel.org/assets/pdfs/2017_annualreport.pdf

Work has commenced on this project as promised in the Chron article. I work around the block and live a few blocks away, so I'll keep this one updated as it rises.

workers on site

0JgOhT8.jpg

work starting on the interior. construction fences have gone up all around the park.

By6WHIo.jpg

The two bungalows across the street have been demoed.

AQfdr0Q.jpg

The bungalows on the chapel side have not been demoed yet. They will be demoed when the admin building is complete.

• Like 7

Like every museum in America, they need to expand and junk the place up with extraneous peripheral crap.

"guest services, conferences, meetings, administrative spaces, and guest housing for visiting artists and scholars"

It's never enough just to have the simple, original building. What are all these conferences and meetings that they didn't have the previous fifty years? How much administrative space does a single-room chapel need? Guest services? Other than a toilet and a coat rack? Could none of these have been done in the existing bungalows?

Posted (edited)

I imagine among the priorities on the list, they just couldn't stand the popcorn ceiling.  Not hifalutin enough for their Houston on the world stage.  I think it grounds the proceedings more than a timely attempt to be timeless does.  That way, unlike the classy new Drawing Institute, they aren't trying so hard to out-Architecture the current anodyne institutional fashion in Los Angeles.

Edited by strickn

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

Lighten up, Francis.  This is a good thing. 

Why? I consider losing the uniformity of the gray bungalows a bad thing.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Why? I consider losing the uniformity of the gray bungalows a bad thing.

They have not maintained those bungalows and they are looking rough, inside and out...

menil needs to renovate those buildings or else they should be considered a neglictful landlord, at least in my book.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

You're right about maintenance of the bungalows, but they have seen the light and have been working on renovating the homes for the last two years. They are in the process of renovating all of the houses. They just put new windows in all of the houses that the Menil owns. I think they have finished restoring three or four of them now. We lived in four different Menil homes over the years up until two years ago. Our last backed up to the Drawing institute and they just fixed the rot and painted it. They are also raising the rent substantially. We paid roughly 1800.00 a month and one of the ones they just finished renovating and updating on Sul Ross was available for $3,400.00 now

They are planning on saving pretty much what is left around the Park and Menil building. 

The homes behind the chapel belong to the Rothko foundation. 

• Like 7

Update:

Landscape is being dug up at Rothko

0qUoLRj.jpg

Construction fencing and efforts to protect the oak trees

G8pg6gV.jpg

Stakes are in the ground. Foundation work on the visitors center building should begin soon. Don't see stakes for the admin building yet.

iae3xVl.jpg

Sign outside the bungalow next door to the Chapel (thought I saw people inside packing things up).

hWmphvp.jpg

• Like 7

Updates on this one (crap photo images warning):

Site of the Visitors Center

vQ7ZLfw.jpg

Landscape around the Chapel

fUNutao.jpg

B64GVFY.jpg

A3grSU6.jpg

u33ZXLa.jpg

The bamboo is gone (sadface)

They are also doing an incredible amount of site work. Way more than I thought would happen. The plans call for a massive update to the landscaping, but they are digging up the entire site right now.

Project is going both fast and slow. Probably won't update this again till they pour the foundation for the visitors center.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Update (from my crappy phone camera):

More foundation work

LgKESwt.jpg

Road Closed at the moment

rorEVQj.jpg

This is why. They are doing some heavy duty utility work underneath

meG1jZc.jpg

Major site work looks to be done.

NBgycQ2.jpg

• Like 7

Went to the Menil today to see how the new installation of the Menil looked. It really is a nice new display with a lot of new work. They just installed Joseph Havel's newly purchased works. A body of 12 drawings. They look great. 

The steel has gone up on the new visitor center. looks to be a two story structure set back on the west side of the fenced lot.

• Like 7

Don't know whether this is the city's doing or the Menil's, but looks like they have begun road reconstruction around the Menil campus and Rothko Chapel. I also don't know whether its simply a repave or a completely new street with new drainage. Either way this has been a long time coming. The streets around this area are awful.

Cw7ztBr.jpg

e4UnfgM.jpg

ySRnqCM.jpg

Mw4523S.jpg

f7opwZm.jpg

• Like 9

Seems they just did the intersections. Blahhhh. At least they look better. Wish they would just redo the entire streets.

muyyzRy.jpg

They are still framing out the small building on the Admin building site from Rothko:

Qcgblsh.jpg

EOXlgqB.jpg

• Like 4