Article On Midrises "Why America's New Apartment Buildings All Look The Same"

A very interesting article by Bloomberg Business week about the national trend toward the 4+1 podium midrise model that has been exploding across the national, and of course, Houston. Thought this was a very fair article as well. This a great fact based straight forward article that's light on opinion. Both sides are taken into account from the business aspect, to code regulators, to concerned citizens over recent fires. I don't think this is going to slow down. With IBC updating again in 2021 to include timber skyscrapers and better regulations on the use of stick framing that will actually quicken its proliferation it will be interesting how much the city can densify with this continued model of development.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

EDIT: This was posted here by accident. Please place this in the appropriate forum.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw this.  I’m puzzled why the writers would hone in on low/mid-rise apartments though?

Couldn't one make this same argument about.... any typology here in the States?

In a nutshell these buildings are all alike because of the economics surrounding such a development.  X’ -X” by Y’ - Y” multiplied by (X) = $$$$$ a month based on $X PSF...

If we ever shift back towards a more vernacular based design perhaps we would start to see some different architectural trends emerge on a regional/local level?  Would certainly be more interesting.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, arche_787 said:

I saw this.  I’m puzzled why the writers would hone in on low/mid-rise apartments though?

Couldn't one make this same argument about.... any typology here in the States?

In a nutshell these buildings are all alike because of the economics surrounding such a development.  X’ -X” by Y’ - Y” multiplied by (X) = $$$$$ a month based on $X PSF...

If we ever shift back towards a more vernacular based design perhaps we would start to see some different architectural trends emerge on a regional/local level?  Would certainly be more interesting.

The main thrust of the story though is the pushing of the envelope on building codes to allow larger and larger structures made out of wood. I don't think other building types look quite so similar.

Well... not trying to argue... but buildings across the country are all very similar from a commercial construction perspective.  Hotels are all the same, condos the same, these stick-frame 4/2 apartments.  It’s cheap, it’s effective, and meets code compliance.

i think this has become more noticeable because of the proliferation of these all over cities.  We’re in the midst of a National apartment building boom - for better or worse.

in a way it’s good.  We are building density with buildings that will be easily replaced by more substantial structures.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

In the U.S., stick framing appears to have become the default construction method for apartment complexes as well. The big reason is that it costs much less—I heard estimates from 20 percent to 40 percent less—than building with concrete, steel, or masonry. Those industries have sponsored several studies disputing the gap, but most builders clearly think it exists.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:40 PM, ccf said:

In the U.S., stick framing appears to have become the default construction method for apartment complexes as well. The big reason is that it costs much less—I heard estimates from 20 percent to 40 percent less—than building with concrete, steel, or masonry. Those industries have sponsored several studies disputing the gap, but most builders clearly think it exists.

May have applied before 2020 but both lumber and steel prices have shot up.

1syU6rv.jpg

• Sad 1