Sign in to follow this  
rechlin

The Shops at West U - 2715 Bissonnet

I thought there was already a thread about this, but I can't find one, so I will include all the information I know.

At 2715 Bissonnet in West U, diagonally across the street from the old Coca Cola bottling plant, there is a two-story shopping center from the 1960s or 1970s, which is being torn down for redevelopment.

Plans for redevelopment have been going on for a while; this flyer was posted in 2017 when a company called Edge was marketing it.

More recently, BPI realty has been marketing it, with the following rendering common to both flyers, showing a one-story strip mall:

yM4uy0n.jpg

And here is the site plan:

Q9B9cCi.jpg

In November, the city of West University Place had a hearing to replat it.

The existing development is called The Upper Kirby Building, not to be confused with a building of the same name on Richmond, and other places have referred to it as the Shoppes at Upper Kirby and the Shops at West U, so I am uncertain of what the name of the final development will be.

Swamplot reported on the imminent demolition of the existing buildings, including this pre-demolition photo:

upper-kirby.jpg

Here are some photos I took of it today during demolition:

U4tdrRa.jpg

bASsAmI.jpg

cqo2DZA.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

2715 Bissonnet St.

Wrong forum.  This is near the Rice Village, not the West Loop.  I already made a thread for this development here:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

@Triton can you please merge my thread with the existing one?

Done. Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 1

Dirt work is finally almost done.  Over the last month, they excavated under where the foundation will be, filled in with new dirt, and hauled away the old dirt.  I'm guessing foundation work will start soon.  Photos taken this morning and Tuesday evening from bus 65:

1QqRyzx.jpg

J4NhL6j.jpg

• Like 1